Shit Happens

Started by Olgaris, February 18, 2009, 04:54:44 PM

Quote from: Clearsighted on February 20, 2009, 07:30:52 AM
Past and present Byn Runners are laughing up their sleeves at the poor aides daintily complaining about dung.

emote snaps off a smelly-gloved salute.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Olgaris on February 20, 2009, 02:33:10 AM
There are consequences to dealing with poop. You will stink. Your stuff will get smelly. People might not like you. If you don't want to stink, or get your stuff smelly, then don't touch poop. If it breaks your eyeballs to see poop accumulate in stables, or occasionally have a mount poop while you're riding it or trying to make out with an elvish vixen, gouge out your eyes.

Will use of a bathtub in-game remove these offensive odors?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Cons: Watching the actual echo of the mount pooping is distasteful, on an OOC level. Yesterday I got my period. I had nasty cramps. I was bleeding like a stuck pig, and the cramps were pushing against my intestines, causing me to feel the urge to take a shit every 20 minutes for the first 4 hours after my period started. Too much information you say? Well think of that next time you make me see "An inix squeezes out a semi-liquid splattering of turd." It was like a mental trigger, that echo. I'd see it, and run to the bathroom.
I don't need that. Really. Just like you didn't need to read the above paragraph while enjoying your morning coffee. The act of defecation, like sex, are something one should have to ask for consent before imposing on another party (though I have no particular problem with the dung itself).

Potential side effects which could result in more fun roleplay:

1. The cost of soap goes up.
2. The cost of cleaning fluid goes up.
3. The value of certain components that are used to make soap goes up.

4. Characters who are in a position to own more than one outfit, who can afford to own more than one outfit, (such as armor for this, and clothing for that - or silks for this, and grubbies for that) - are more likely now to have a reason to visit their local Salarr, Kadian, or Kuraci PC merchant.

5. The Gaj will really -become- the shithole it's known to be - criminal and grunge types will be wailing piles of shit at assorted tavern patrons - thus promoting #4 even more, encouraging less criminal/grunge types to spend more time at Red's Retreat, which exists for the less criminal/grunge types and is in need of more love.

6. Various PCs who don't want to be clanned, but don't want to have "poor shlub" PCs who can get rich in 2 days mining sid because it really doesn't fit the nature of Allanak...now have a coded method of BEING a poor shlub, without codedly starving to death.

7. PCs in GMHs who normally would never have any IC reason to interact with the poor shlubs in #6, now have the opportunity for a reason. Even if it's a once a RL week visit, *someone* has to clean up those stables, and why make your Fist recruit do it, when he's being paid to keep the area safe? Let a "poor shlub" do it, you don't even have to pay him. He can make his own sids selling the crap.

So - I hate the poop echo. Hate it hate it hate it, and MAYBE I wouldn't have minded it -too- much if it had been implemented some other day. But I probably would hate it anyway.

Now that the quantity of coded crap is being toned down some, I'm finding some potential for RP, and for the rich to get richer, and the poor to barely survive, and PCs to interact who might not normally do so, which is how things should be.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 20, 2009, 10:15:29 AM #203 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:21:23 AM by Nyr

Quote from: Lizzie on February 20, 2009, 08:08:25 AMThe act of defecation, like sex, are something one should have to ask for consent before imposing on another party (though I have no particular problem with the dung itself).

A huge, sandy-brown inix stands here, foraging for food.
A sandy-brown inix says, out of character:
      "consent to poop?  Y/N/Maybe?"

Joking aside, I think you have a great idea of the side effects of the roleplay for the poop, and that is encouraging to see.  There may be more revisions to the poop script (and indeed, there already have been some).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Aesthetically, I think I'd prefer "dung" and "manure" to "poop" and "turd."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 20, 2009, 11:22:05 AM
Aesthetically, I think I'd prefer "dung" and "manure" to "poop" and "turd."

Agreed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 20, 2009, 08:08:25 AMYesterday I got my period. I had nasty cramps. I was bleeding like a stuck pig, and the cramps were pushing against my intestines, causing me to feel the urge to take a shit every 20 minutes for the first 4 hours after my period started.

... You scare me.  You should give Chuck Palahniuk a call sometime and go out for dinner.

I personally feel that the defecation emotes break scenes.  It happened last night and proved to rather annoying.  It happened the night before.  When I'm holding a conversation with somebody near farm animals (yes, I've worked on a farm before), I don't really notice the bulls or geese or chickens shitting - except on the odd occasion when it's really loud or I'm near the animal's ass.

Having said the above, I -do- think there needs to be an emote of the shitting process.  However, I believe it should be far more low-key.  As others have mentioned, making it a hemote or semote that could be picked up via watch or what have you (therefore providing for the extremely loud shit), would make it noticeable but not be as horribly intrusive.

I think some poop has accumulated from before the timing was changed, but...

There are NPC's out in the wilderness that poop.  Most NPC's will move around, but there are a few that don't, even before the MUD is up awhile, gets borked, and NPCs stop moving.

It is just a bit disjarring to find one of those NPCs and a huge mound of poop.  Maybe limit the size of poop objs based on room terrain sector?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

i blame olgaris for my stinky poop
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Lizzie on February 20, 2009, 08:08:25 AM
"An inix squeezes out a semi-liquid splattering of turd."

I'm totally going to write that object. Thank you, it's been really hard coming up with 10 different ways to describe the various consistencies of fecal matter.

(For the record, all the objects are either dung or fecal matter.)
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

February 20, 2009, 11:07:40 PM #211 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:12:48 PM by HTX
Wow, sorry about the slow response but I love this new feature. I've noticed a few complaints, but I don't see what the big deal is:

1) It creates potential for more interaction. Hire your local bar-hopper, dung-sweeper or merc if it troubles you so much. Hell, I could see this as a good way for a newbie to earn a few 'sids while learning more about the in-game world too.
2) It adds to the atmosphere, and gives the streets (particularly those often traversed by mounts) a gritty feel like they should in the first place.
3) Opens up a wider variety of in-game jobs; maybe most of you are not fans of playing Amos the Dung-Sweepers, but I love mundane jobs. It gives the game world a more "complete" feeling.

Might have to roll up a dung-sweeper one of these days. Looking forward to testing this new feature once I start playing more again.

Is there a dung collector in Tuluk?
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Semper on February 21, 2009, 12:56:48 AM
Is there a dung collector in Tuluk?

Yes.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.

Quote from: HTX on February 20, 2009, 11:07:40 PM
Wow, sorry about the slow response but I love this new feature. I've noticed a few complaints, but I don't see what the big deal is:

1) It creates potential for more interaction. Hire your local bar-hopper, dung-sweeper or merc if it troubles you so much. Hell, I could see this as a good way for a newbie to earn a few 'sids while learning more about the in-game world too.
Point me to ONE PC willing to do this. I have been looking since this was put ig.

2) It adds to the atmosphere, and gives the streets (particularly those often traversed by mounts) a gritty feel like they should in the first place.
Not every where is filthy like Nak. Seeing shit when you're walking through the Poets Circle or the Nobles Quarter in Tuluk is just WRONG, imo.

3) Opens up a wider variety of in-game jobs; maybe most of you are not fans of playing Amos the Dung-Sweepers, but I love mundane jobs. It gives the game world a more "complete" feeling.

Might have to roll up a dung-sweeper one of these days. Looking forward to testing this new feature once I start playing more again.

Good, do that. There arn't any.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

February 21, 2009, 09:12:48 PM #215 Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:17:46 PM by SMuz
I think you'll have to wait a while for dungsweepers to appear. It's not that people don't want to play them; it's that it doesn't suit the personalities of a lot of characters.

If you really need a dungsweeper, Byn Runners are always a good choice. They're stuck in the cities and most of them are even more broke than ever because of the 300 'sid fee. Also, they don't mind getting a little stinky. For those of you who don't know what they look like, you can recognize them by the shit-covered shoes :P

I'd admit that it's a bit tougher to find a dungsweeper in Tuluk. But I doubt there'd be much shit in the Poets Circle, unless people walk with their mounts around there - which makes sense why there'd be shit there.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: tortall on February 21, 2009, 07:15:48 PM

Point me to ONE PC willing to do this. I have been looking since this was put ig.

Not every where is filthy like Nak. Seeing shit when you're walking through the Poets Circle or the Nobles Quarter in Tuluk is just WRONG, imo.

Good, do that. There arn't any.

Dung sweepers are already being hired. You may cease your hostilities, they are futile.

Quote from: tortall on February 21, 2009, 07:15:48 PM

I don't know. The idea of laying big piles of steaming shit around the Poet's Circle seems to be an incentive to actually go there, now.

If there's characters willing to mine obsidian/salt or do other repetitive coded jobs, they'll be ones willing to clean up some dung tortall. And I don't think you've been looking hard enough if you think no-one's willing; as previously suggested, Runners might be a good idea, they're often desperate for some coin. I can think of one character who would off the top of my head too.

I don't think it would be such a bad idea to put in virtual cleaners though, so the Poet Circle and Noble Quarters remain *relatively* clean (but not so clean as to take away work from PC dung-sweepers). I haven't been in either of those areas recently though, so I don't know how the code is working out.

As for those who think this new feature gives "too much details" - how about the violence, the tools of torture (which I don't think even require OOC consent to use???), the bits of entrails and discarded animal parts laying around the Wastes? How is a bit of dung much worse? Working with animals should be a dirty job. Though perhaps the echo could be removed (or be able to toggle on/off) if it gets too irritating for players.

Rather than just shooting down an idea or a new feature, I think it's best to just adjust it rather than scrap all that work.

Quote from: Clearsighted on February 21, 2009, 09:40:35 PM
I don't know. The idea of laying big piles of steaming shit around the Poet's Circle seems to be an incentive to actually go there, now.

Am I sensing a new dwarf focus?
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Hmm.. yeah, I'm starting to not like it how it sticks out in the wilderness. I know there's a lot of poop in the wildernesses where I live, but I certainly don't notice it. A single inix dropping shouldn't be too visible even if the inix does his duty in the middle of the road.

I think that 'brief room' should hide all poop, as long as it's not in a huge pile.

Alternatively, I think that 90% of the poop should be hidden. 'sniff room' or just plain 'sniff' should uncover all the poop in the room. Whenever entering a room with hidden poop, there is a 2% of stepping in it and getting shit on your shoes (we already have the code for accidentally stepping in poop ;))
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on February 27, 2009, 08:11:58 PM
Hmm.. yeah, I'm starting to not like it how it sticks out in the wilderness. I know there's a lot of poop in the wildernesses where I live, but I certainly don't notice it. A single inix dropping shouldn't be too visible even if the inix does his duty in the middle of the road.

..It shouldn't?

We're thinking about the same type of inix here, right?  The lizard's tall and strong enough to carry a fully grown half-giant, which can get up to 15 ft in height, never mind weight?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on February 27, 2009, 09:36:43 PM
Quote from: SMuz on February 27, 2009, 08:11:58 PM

..It shouldn't?

We're thinking about the same type of inix here, right?  The lizard's tall and strong enough to carry a fully grown half-giant, which can get up to 15 ft in height, never mind weight?
It is smaller than an elephant, and even elephant poop is possible to miss in the wilderness. In the desert, I suppose most of it will be buried (especially with the sandstorms). Inix poop camouflaged by sand should be quite unnoticable.

So, I'm curious, who actually plays a character in the shit business?

I only knew of one, and I think he got swallowed in the pile of poo because I haven't seen him in days, if not weeks..  :(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I have seen a few characters nonchalantly scooping up poo.

Though I am not one of them, myself.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.