Shit Happens

Started by Olgaris, February 18, 2009, 04:54:44 PM

I think there should be a way to have coded objects in a room that don't show up in the description of the room immediately, without closer examination. Like poop.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Malken on February 19, 2009, 11:18:44 PMI hope the Staff who worked on this won't think I don't appreciate his or her work, but to me, there are just a few things
that should never be hard coded in a game, poop being the #1 on my list. I don't want to see the word 'turd' every few
rooms I travel to, that's all, and that's coming from one of the most immature poster on the GDB, I think.

Not to mention it tends to happen at the most scene-breaking, inconvenient moments... admittedly hilarious, but it does get old. I like my Armageddon with a little more serious in it, and a little less .... poop.

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 19, 2009, 11:29:00 PM
Quote from: Malken on February 19, 2009, 11:18:44 PMI hope the Staff who worked on this won't think I don't appreciate his or her work, but to me, there are just a few things
that should never be hard coded in a game, poop being the #1 on my list. I don't want to see the word 'turd' every few
rooms I travel to, that's all, and that's coming from one of the most immature poster on the GDB, I think.

Not to mention it tends to happen at the most scene-breaking, inconvenient moments... admittedly hilarious, but it does get old. I like my Armageddon with a little more serious in it, and a little less .... poop.

Agreed.  While poop is an interesting idea, it dose sorta ruin the game.

What I really like about what I'm seeing - some sign that other animals (mounts or wild) have been nearby without being a tracker.  I found myself thinking - hrm - someone must have ridden this way recently.

I also like the idea of jobs for Allanak - but find it a bit funny that we have such wonderous things in Tuluk (in general) and we come up with shit, literally, for Allanak.  =)

Ever go horseback riding? Seriously. This is the grit everyone says they want.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on February 20, 2009, 12:30:07 AM

That doesn't even make sense.. Ever drank too much in real life and got sick afterward? Yah, let's code in chunks of vomit. I know that mounts poop all the time, doesn't mean I want it in the game.

That's another reason I wish the Staff would come in and ask us what we think of an idea before they work on it, because then they sort of get pissed when people bash it or don't like it, then it
leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

I just think this is one idea that should have been discussed first. Hey, guys, what would you think if we coded in chunks of poop that came out of beasts every hours or so? I just don't think many would
have agreed with it, is all..
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I agree with Malken.

Sorry Olgaris.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

February 20, 2009, 12:59:51 AM #181 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:07:56 AM by Jingo
Quote from: Malken on February 20, 2009, 12:39:37 AM

That doesn't even make sense.. Ever drank too much in real life and got sick afterward? Yah, let's code in chunks of vomit. I know that mounts poop all the time, doesn't mean I want it in the game.

That's another reason I wish the Staff would come in and ask us what we think of an idea before they work on it, because then they sort of get pissed when people bash it or don't like it, then it

I just think this is one idea that should have been discussed first. Hey, guys, what would you think if we coded in chunks of poop that came out of beasts every hours or so? I just don't think many would

If you want to emote your first example, do it. I'll send kudos. I doubt there would be much point coding it though, just because I've never heard it happening and you probably can't sell the vomit to anyone.

I like the change. It reflects the reality of the gameworld (what we call grittyness) without giving us a new way to die in the wilderness. I would like to see more additions like this. I do think it should be tweaked a bit. If only to balance realism with playability.

If the money you can make is just 20 coins an rl hour, then I probably wouldn't bother. I think 75-100 coins should be good for an ig day's work and a sparkling-clean stable. I think all indoor jobs should reflect that. [/put this in the derail thread]
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I like it. I think it's great. Just another aspect of reality. I say yay, keep it, right on. I don't see what's so funny about it, frankly.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

February 20, 2009, 01:13:42 AM #183 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:16:27 AM by a strange shadow

Except when you're horseback riding, text doesn't flash across the sky saying "A russet-maned horse has taken a shit!"

Maybe if the mounts were coded to hemote instead of emote? I dunno.

To be honest, I'd like it better if the "poop mounds" were added to stables as a permanent object (like someone else suggested, comparing it to clay pits), as is, it's just... turning into a bit of a scene stinker and coded annoyance. Sorry.

Quote from: Malken on February 20, 2009, 12:39:37 AM

I am pretty sure players have asked for this many times before... if you want, I will look them up and post, but I feel lazy tonight.

My two cents: I like it but I dislike the frequency at which it happens.
Thanks you staff for listening to players and putting in things we ask for... even if sometimes we don't like the changes after the fact.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 20, 2009, 01:13:42 AM
... turning into a bit of a scene stinker and coded annoyance. Sorry.
Quantify this?

Is it just the emote that proceeds it?

Hemote is fine, as far as I am concerned, but I can't sympathize with the 'scene stinker' bit. Is it the coded object being in the room that annoys you? If so, I've got to say, "Screw that". But if it's the animals emoting doing it that bugs you, I suppose that's fair.

What I do like about it is that you can learn what sort of animals were in the area by their dung. I really dig that. I also think that it just adds ambiance. I also like the added job it provides. That's groovy too. New jobs are wyn, as far as I am concerned, no matter what they are.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 20, 2009, 01:26:03 AMif it's the animals emoting doing it that bugs you, I suppose that's fair.

Yep.

I do like being able to say "Oh, look, somebody's been through here."

A smelly sloppy pile of poop is here, smelling terrible.

Uh. Ew.

I think this is awesome.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 20, 2009, 01:14:34 AM
I am pretty sure players have asked for this many times before... if you want, I will look them up and post, but I feel lazy tonight.

Having known this playerbase for over 10 years, I believe you that someone, somewhere, asked for this.

I'll stop this now anyway, I can't believe I'm the only one who finds seeing the word poop and turd everywhere really silly and
immature, but whatever, I'll make do and go play in the poop too!

*goes away singing the Mr Hankey the Githmas poo song*
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm still hung up on the clan stable thing.
I'm the kind of sucker that would enjoy rping cleaning a stable, I like taking my grumbling recruit in and rping cleaning it up.
But I do not enjoy picking up and junking objects.   If it's left to emote, I can do it as I please, and when I do it's creative and fun.  When it's coded it becomes in serious danger of becoming a chore, then you have to deal with it regularly, and in a coded, uncreative manner.

I think that there's a real danger of coded feature creep becoming a crutch and a nuisance, the more we deal with code, the less we're being creative. Which is the point.

I've rped servant work and such in Nak already, and been paid for it ic.  I had to go through a pc. This allows you to do similar work by going through an npc.  I honestly don't see what that adds to the game. If I'd been playing a servant and had to shovel crap for an npc I'd have quit, but since it was a pc employer I got interactions and fun out of it.

At the end of the day... I think that it's a very well intentioned bad idea.  I feel the same way about sawdust from crafting and dust/sweat on gear, to add some context. While admittedly those are both fairly minor, I honestly feel that the creep of coded features limits creativity and slowly throttles the game. 

I want to maximize the creative elements of the game, and minimize the parts where it becomes a chore.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

What staggerlee said, except more eloquently than I could have.

You know, I have a feeling Olgaris put in some hours while working on this. Let's at least try and be appriciative.

So Olgaris - Thank you for implementing this. It does give players another way to earn cash, even if it is poop. I am sure that the senior staff of armageddon would never approve any ideas that were too far out there and this may become a great tool for us to use. Quit being so negative and enjoy what the staff is trying to do for us.

'Nuff Said.

Thanks Olgaris.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Poop FAQ:

Waaaah!!! There's poop everywhere?!?!!?

If this is not already fixed, then by the time of the next reboot mounts may or may not poop within a RL hour. This means that if you unstable your mount at dawn, and ride until dusk, your mount may not poop at all. Or may poop twice, depending on random occurrence.

The streets of Tuluk, or Allanak, or Luir's Outpost, or the wilds, will not be covered in poop. There is no cause for alarm, it's just a little poopy right now but they'll get it out of their system soon.

AAARRGGG!!! There's sooo much poop in my stables!!!!

Once poop accumulates to a certain point, it will collect into a mound. There will only be one mound. Depending on the variety of mounts in your stables, there may be a few different lines of text in your stable room telling you what dung types are laying about. You can ignore this, and it will collect into a mound. There is a maximum limit of the amount of poop that can collect in a mound. The rest vanishes. You can choose to ignore it, you can make people clean it up, or you can hire someone to clean it. Having coded pieces of dung does not detract from your ability to use emotes, or roleplay accordingly. Having nobody pick up the poop will not result in endless piles. If you don't want to pick up poop, don't. If you do pick up poop, you might as well sell it instead of junking it.

The fact that I have to sell poop to an NPC is ruining my fun.

Coding farms that require dung fertilizer is more work than coding an NPC who buys dung for virtual farms. Farms may exist in the future (Arm 2.0) but don't hold your breath.

Poop is immature!

No, yoooouu're immature.

There should be hard-coded mounds in places like the clay pits.

There are. Enough dung must accumulate in these places for the mounds to build up. If you have not seen a mound inside some stables, or certain other locations, chances are people are picking up the dung and selling it. i.e., the feature implemented to be a skill-less way of making some coin, is being used as a skill-less way of making some coin.

Why?

• A way to make coin without skills.
  • A way to tell what sort of creatures have been in certain areas.
  • Atmosphere.
  • Coded props for a previous virtual job.
  • Coded coin for a previous virtual job.
  • It has been requested by numerous players, numerous times.

Why not?

• I don't like seeing poop.
  • Poop is silly.

There are consequences to dealing with poop. You will stink. Your stuff will get smelly. People might not like you. If you don't want to stink, or get your stuff smelly, then don't touch poop. If it breaks your eyeballs to see poop accumulate in stables, or occasionally have a mount poop while you're riding it or trying to make out with an elvish vixen, gouge out your eyes.

I repeat my prior statement: Let the poop frequency get worked out before you decide that your game is ruined.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

February 20, 2009, 02:46:20 AM #194 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:50:10 AM by Winterless
Now the Bynners can really do their doodies.

Awww... sorry for shitting on your code, Olgaris. You spent time that you didn't have to spend to make our "world" a little less virtual. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that poop has always been in the game for the last decade. It's just that now it's in everyone's game XD

Yes, I'd agree, give it some time to get used to. I quite like it. It is Armageddon after all, seeing mounts poop everywhere is far less nasty than some of the other things in the rest of the game. And I've yet to see a significant impact to the streets of 'Nak, not a single bit of poop between the gates.

I think it's fair too.. since mounts have always required a lot of maintenance, the least you could do is clean out their poop. IMHO, it's not right to have a mount sitting around in your stables and not cause you the least amount of inconvenience. If you've got your own stables, you'd better be taking care of it like a proper stables. Having stables without poop is like walking through the desert without getting dehydrated. Also, there's an actual coded reason now not to be riding your mount all over the estate.

If it really bothers the snooty nobles among you, well, that's why you should pay someone to follow you around and clean up the mess your inix left. Get your aide to pick up that mess. Then give her some perfume.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I disagree with what Staggerlee said. Code is what separates a MUD from a MUSH. Why do you need food or drinks or even weapons when you can just roleplay all that. I don't mean to come off snarky, but that's my opinion on that.

Personally I love this addition.

Like I said...Its not don't agree with poop at all. Like its been said, it's been present in some form for a very, very long time now.

I mean I've had a character that wore poop on his face.

It's just that I don't want it to be hugely present in the gameworld...Olgaris's post is very reassuring in that regard.

I think elevating it's presence is great. Dung in stables, requiring stablehands or clannies to clean it up? Awesome. Dung spied occasionnally in the waste? Oooh, looks like signs a a duskhorn pack went through.

I just don't want to see more poo than I do plants or rocks or trees and all over the place. Thank you, Olgaris and other staff, for taking the wishes of the dissenters into consideration! It's not that we don't like the change, I feel, it's just we're worried about the degree! And you seem to be too! :)

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Thanks Oglaris, personally, I love this poo, and the smell.....finally, a way for those elven kids to get back at nobles in the streets!  ;D
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Past and present Byn Runners are laughing up their sleeves at the poor aides daintily complaining about dung.