WAGUNS. VEEGUNS. WAYGUNS.

Started by Lakota, February 12, 2009, 02:44:11 PM

A staffer once told me that it takes not only uber amounts of coin, numbering over 50 large, but it also takes 10 ic years to have a simple wagon built (A dinky, one-roomed one).

To me, that just seems ridiculous. Back in western times, or whatever, they made wagons relatively quickly (Maybe a month or less). Even without the use of metalic ores, like metal, copper and bronze, wagons should still be just as relatively easy to build. Less sturdy, but still less time consuming then ten years of a PC's life span.

I mean, seriously. Who the hell has many characters that live for ten in-game years unless their hiding under a rock?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Agent_137 on February 17, 2009, 10:07:48 AM
Quote02/17/2009: Code to support small wagon support -- Morgenes

Neat.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

This alone is enough to make me put off the next role I had planned to try and make a merchant. Fucking awesome. Seriously, just.... fucking awesome.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 17, 2009, 11:02:13 AM
This alone is enough to make me put off the next role I had planned to try and make a merchant.

This and the documented crafting recipes.  Outstanding stuff, staffpeople.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

This alone is enough to make me put off the next role I had planned to try and make a merchant. Fucking awesome. Seriously, just.... fucking awesome.

Huh, I thought you ONLY played merchants.  ;D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm thrilled that something is being done with wagonmaking but..what does this -mean- exactly?

Code to support...sounds to me like they're just starting to build the structuring of the skill but it still isn't actually implemented yet.

Which is fine..I'm still thrilled! I'd just probably be even more thrilled, if I knew what I was thrilled about!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Malken on February 17, 2009, 11:19:46 AM

Huh, I thought you ONLY played merchants.  ;D

:) Nope. I also play rangers.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Morgenes expanded the coding he had done for skimmers, to also work for wagons.

Now I have to build the wagons and work on the crafting side of it.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

This is the framework code that the builders needed to start working on making the wagons.  It was an adaptation of the silt skimmer code to work on land instead.

Or what Vanth said...*snaps fingers*
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Uh - this means what, for us?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 17, 2009, 04:14:41 PM
Uh - this means what, for us?

Carts: coming soon to a container merchant near you.

The long-haired half-giant stands here, stacking carts atop each other.
The toothless, hunched man grins at passing people, vaunting the quality of his carts.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 17, 2009, 04:44:40 PM
The long-haired half-giant stands here, stacking carts atop each other.
The toothless, hunched man grins at passing people, vaunting the quality of his carts.

The bold man walks by the stack of carts, and kicks a peg out of an axle.

a pile of carts comes crashing down on you!

Welcome to Armageddon!(mantis head)
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: Morgenes on February 17, 2009, 12:52:32 PM
This is the framework code that the builders needed to start working on making the wagons.  It was an adaptation of the silt skimmer code to work on land instead.

Or what Vanth said...*snaps fingers*

Wait... so does this mean that wagons will soon become standard craftable objects!? Or will they still need IMM assistance to complete?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

They will become craftable.  I cannot say exactly how soon.

Aside from needing to build some, we still need to work out a few things about how they will work, like how animals will be harnessed, how we represent animal fatigue, etc.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Wow. Thats great.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Vanth on February 18, 2009, 01:01:31 PM
They will become craftable.  I cannot say exactly how soon.

Aside from needing to build some, we still need to work out a few things about how they will work, like how animals will be harnessed, how we represent animal fatigue, etc.

Harnessing + fatigue + craftability + WAGONS OUR VERY OWN WAGONS == worth waiting for.

Lets hope that the current coders come up with a better solution then the last time you could hitch animals to wagons...ewwww.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on February 18, 2009, 04:29:46 PM
Lets hope that the current coders come up with a better solution then the last time you could hitch animals to wagons...ewwww.

If you remember specifically what was wrong (more than just a bad taste in your mouth), please feel free to bring it up here and discuss it, or mail me if you'd rather keep it private.  I plan on dusting off that code and trying to fix it rather than start from scratch.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Aw, that's so unfair, my last character was DYING for a wagon of his own.. He was told that he MIGHT get some sort of cheap rickshaw-looking 'wagon' for like 500000000 'sids if he waited 20 IC years.

C'mon, Morgenes, you can't do that to me, allow me to unstore once more for the 6th times please! ;D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Thats alot of dust morg, I barely remember it, I believe one of the biggest problems at the time was a huge amount of game lag. Maybe somebody with better records then me would remember, LoD maybe has enough time. Also, maybe one of the people with uber search skills can find when it was taken out, I believe there was an explanation at the time. I do believe it was removed more for bugs and other game problems then anything.

But if I remember specifics I'll email.

Otherwise, Good luck.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeh, it was something about bugs. I don't remember anything about game lag.

Quote from: X-D on February 18, 2009, 04:56:05 PM
Also, maybe one of the people with uber search skills can find when it was taken out, I believe there was an explanation at the time.

Here's what I got. Azroen posted this on 12 Aug, 2000:

QuotePrefacing this by stating that this code has been long in the coming, and been helped along by many people. Nessalin has contributed the majority of the base code, and Tenebrius and Morgenes have helped fixing bugs, and getting things to work right. So kudos to them for laying the foundation so I could take it up and finish it for player use. This should be an excellent system.

ARMAWAGON

Introduction
Wagons currently are large, mobile, indestructable shelters that allow a person or clan to do almost whatever they wish. Once inside a wagon, there is no stopping it, which detracts from the game. Part of the thrill of Armageddon is the danger, and with wagons, much of this element is removed. So we've designed a system, years in the making, to balance wagons with the rest of the world, as well as to still make them fun, and sought after. The latter half of that was the hard part, though I believe we have succeeded.

How it works
Many new features and "rules" are going to be applied to wagons. THe first and foremost, which will be the most apparant is that beasts are required to pull the wagons. No beasts and the wagon won't move. The rest of the code builds from this foundation.

New features:

* Mounts are required: The harness command can be used to place mounts into the wagon team, and the unharness command is used to remove them. The maximum number of mounts that can be harnessed to a wagon is different on each wagon. Smaller wagons will only have 1-3 mounts able to pull it, while larger ones may need 8-10 mounts in order to pull it efficiently.
    * New pilot commands: Read help pilot for more information. But to sum up, a pilot is able to issue commands to the wagon team through the pilot command.
    * Lead-reins: These are the imaginary reins that are hooked to the wagon-team, and which are used to command them. With the pilot command, the reins can be lowered to the ground(so that mounts may be harnessed or unharnessed) or raised(so that the pilot can control his team). If the reins are lowered then the lead mount can be hitched. If the lead mount is hitched, then the pilot will not be able to pull the reins back inside the wagon. Vice versa, if the lead-reins are within the wagon, the lead mount is unhitchable.
    * Wagon-trains: It is now possible to follow wagons, and when they move, you will follow. So people can walk along outside a wagon guarding it, or what have you.
    * Damageable: Wagons will take damage now, and can be disabled. You will not be able to attack a wagon, nor cast spells at a wagon, in an attempt to damage it. Wagons will only take damage through movement. So those people who like to take wagons exploring through a mountainous, rocky area, will soon find themselves walking. Another word of note, is that in addition to taking minor damage to the wagon due to driving through one of the various barrier spells, your mounts are going to be fairly pissed and wounded as well.
    * Repairable: A secondary skill is on its way, "Wagon-repair." It will work like the other secondary skills, and is used to maintain/repair your wagon.
    * Towable: Wagons will be hitchable to other wagons, so they can be towed around. The primary use for this is for when a wagon becomes disabled, you can call the local Zalanthas AAA office, who can send out a tow wagon. In the future other objects will be hitchable to wagons(one word: siege).

Explanatory helpfiles
Read pilot, wagon, and harness helpfiles. They have been updated, and contain much necessary information.
What this all means

Wagon code is changing, but it isn't completely finished yet. It has been tested for a while, some features for a long while. But some parts are still being done, and other parts, while technically finished, I'd like some player use and feedback so I can tweak it. Currently, if your wagon is not set up to allow mounts to be harnessed to it, you can not hook mounts up to it. So those who want to try this, mail your clan immortal, mail the mud account, or wish in the game asking for this to be set.

TWO WEEK TEST PEROID
We plan on giving this code change a 2-week grace period before it becomes mandatory. This will give wagon owners time to purchase enough mounts to pull your wagons. This will also give a chance for those who wish to, to voluntarily switch over to this new system, and to test it. Bugs should be mailed to me directly, azroen@ginka.armageddon.org as should "tweaking" concerns. On Saturday, August 26th, we plan on making the move to requiring mounts to pull wagons. Unless a major bug comes up, this time frame should be meetable.

Later on, on 06 September, 2000, Azroen posted this:

QuoteIn the pursuit of making the wagon code necessitating mounts to pull wagons, we have come to one of the final stages of coding. However, something inconvenient needs to be done in order for everything to work correctly.

We are needing to do a wagon file conversion, hopefully this weekend(although if there are no reboots/crashes between now and then, it will probably be done the following weekend). In doing this conversion it will be infinitely easier if the wagon file does not have mount entries.

Therefore, as of the next reboot/crash, I have placed some code that will allow all wagons to operate without mounts. (so if your wagon was previously switched over to use mounts, you won't be stranded). I have also "broken" the harness command, so that you will not be able to put mounts onto your wagon.

When the above code goes live, I'd appreciate it if people who have been using the mounts pulling wagons code to unharness their mounts from their wagons, and operate this way until after the conversion. If you need to rent your mounts, or if you lose them and need to purchase new ones after the conversion, you may mail me for consideration.

I searched around in the 2000 archives but that was the best I could come up with.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: staggerlee on February 12, 2009, 05:15:55 PM

I wouldn't be particularly impressed if you could destroy my carriage with a bone spear.

Those with the trap skill might find their talents suddenly more useful? :-) And I think even an agile creature like a halfling would have an extremely low defense while piloting. New potential armor possibilities open up, making protective clothing specifically for a sitting position (I guess that could have other uses). Cart "upgrades" like an enclosed human-sized cabinet would then be a possibility to further protect the driver while piloting.

There's something in this for everyone. :-)

- HK
- HK