Time in Prompt

Started by FantasyWriter, February 12, 2009, 12:05:53 PM

Since we are getting all the nifty changes of late, I was wondering if we could get an argument to put the time of day in out prompts?

Thoughts, ideas?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Only real question in my mind is what letter to use %e I believe is the only unused letter in 'time', and it doesn't scream 'time' to me.  Although, so long as it's documented I guess it doesn't matter.  It would have to of course follow the same rules for the time command.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

%I is also available, and having something like "unknown" in the prompt when you can't see time would be perfect.

Quote from: Cutthroat on February 12, 2009, 01:11:41 PM
%I is also available, and having something like "unknown" in the prompt when you can't see time would be perfect.

Actually %I is not free, it's just not used for mortals  ;D
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on February 12, 2009, 01:24:13 PM
Quote from: Cutthroat on February 12, 2009, 01:11:41 PM

Actually %I is not free, it's just not used for mortals  ;D

HAHAHA, that made me giggle.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

February 12, 2009, 05:50:19 PM #6 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:52:22 PM by Agent_137
in the mean time, Time can easily be determined by using at trigger that goes off ever 8 or 9 minutes. but yes,  this would be very handy to have because it would update every tick and i could get it out of the way by using my info bar.

then i have up to the tick info! No more falling off cliffs because there was no room echo for the sun setting!

I also want a time prompt. Yay more clashy coloured text in my ansii bar.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 12, 2009, 12:05:53 PM
Since we are getting all the nifty changes of late, I was wondering if we could get an argument to put the time of day in out prompts?

Thoughts, ideas?
Ha, I idea'ed this just yesterday. Didn't think there'd be any controversy to it.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I use to use a "time" timed every three or four minutes, but two things I found I didn't like about it:

1. It breaks "gone."  I have kids and use "gone" alot.
2. It can be spammy and awkward, and just didn't like it.
    I still use it with my wilderness characters, so I don't end up in some unsafe place after dark.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It's a losing battle for the staff. The more changes they make the more changes we ask for  ;D

I think it's a good idea.  It would make it that much easier to rp  in response to the environment correctly.

I think this addition would be Sexah, hugs and kisses for all if it happens.

Tony seal of approval.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I've dreamed of having this in the prompt.  Please Morgenes.  Please.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: FuSoYa on February 13, 2009, 09:24:00 AM
I've dreamed of having this in the prompt.  Please Morgenes.  Please.

Brandon

Seconded.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

02/13/2009: Added new prompt variable for time '%e' -- Morgenes

Oh so nice. :)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

WOOT!  have i mentioned how much I love the staff.....wait, that was a different thread....lol
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

in record time, here is the updated mushclient infobar, now incorporating time!!!

http://www.crapyclawn.net/arma/startup/infobarWithTime.vbs

open it as a text file and read the comments for installation instructions.

em a tear of joy streams down %me face.
Grebber - One who grebs.

::orgasms::
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Not to hijack the thread, but can we add the same for weather, with a one or two word descriptor or how good/bad it is?  It can be a bitch to rp out in the wild when the weather changes constantly.

Prompt Symbol: %W

List of values that would be found in the prompt:

• indoors
  • clear
  • <temp> breeze
  • <temp> wind
  • <temp> gale
  • sandy winds
  • terrible storm
  • harsh storm
  • fierce storm
  • (whatever I'm missing)

Quote from: rishenko on February 13, 2009, 02:50:32 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but can we add the same for weather, with a one or two word descriptor or how good/bad it is?  It can be a bitch to rp out in the wild when the weather changes constantly.

• indoors
  • clear
  • <temp> breeze
  • <temp> wind
  • <temp> gale
  • sandy winds
  • terrible storm
  • harsh storm
  • fierce storm
  • (whatever I'm missing)

yes, this is possible

will it happen today? no.  But maybe tomorrow ;)
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I need to change my pants.

Quote from: Morgenes on February 13, 2009, 03:27:34 PM

• indoors
  • clear
  • <temp> breeze
  • <temp> wind
  • <temp> gale
  • sandy winds
  • terrible storm
  • harsh storm
  • fierce storm
  • (whatever I'm missing)

yes, this is possible

Thank you.  Seriously.  Thank you very much.  Of course, this means I need to modify my prompt parser.

Quote from: Morgenes on February 13, 2009, 03:27:34 PM

• indoors
  • clear
  • <temp> breeze
  • <temp> wind
  • <temp> gale
  • sandy winds
  • terrible storm
  • harsh storm
  • fierce storm
  • (whatever I'm missing)

yes, this is possible

All hail the almighty Morgenes!!
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein