Cotton picking discussion

Started by Vanth, February 12, 2009, 12:25:36 AM

Quote from: Vanth on February 12, 2009, 02:22:14 PM
I also updated the NPCs with talk scripts.

Cool!  I'm personally really excited to see that new stuff like this is constantly going into the game, and I wanted to give my thanks to the staff for doing their best to make the game more enjoyable for the players.

Seeing player feedback taken into account and used to make something better and more functional really makes me happy.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

If a Dasari noble likes you, you may be able to get a special benefit from them.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: Vanth on February 12, 2009, 02:47:10 PM
If a Dasari noble likes you, you may be able to get a special benefit from them.

O.O Quick! Someone app a Dasari and find out what it is!!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

If they really like you, Dasari provide an unconfirmed antidote when they test an unconfirmed poison on you.
Depending on success, they might throw in an unconfirmed wreath for your funerals too.

/not Dasari, obviously

Quote from: tortall on February 12, 2009, 02:57:44 PM

Ugh, then they'd have to actually play a Tuluki noble.

Quote from: manonfire on February 12, 2009, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: tortall on February 12, 2009, 02:57:44 PM

Ugh, then they'd have to actually play a Tuluki noble.

Or be a partisan. Or a loyal slave. Partisan is better.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

While salt mining, creatures attack? Oh really?

C'mon.. let's be honest.. All the creatures close to the west side of the salt flats are annihilated regularly, so regularly that I wonder where I would find a scrab if I played a ranger or a warrior these days. Gith? It's my eighth character and I've yet to see a gith. I guess they are also killed quickly.

Still, of course, salt gathering is dangerous because you're alone, exhausting yourself in a lawless area. At least one hand of yours is weaponless, you're not atop your mount. Thinking you may end up living a life of luxury just by salt gathering, the danger balances the pay.

And cotton picking? I tried it. You may possibly end up poorer because it drains the moist from your skin faster than a bulldog eating from a bowl. Staff is right.. I wonder if anyone other than tailors will ever bother collecting cotton. Maybe for an off-peak Bynner it's a legal forage action where he can solo-RP till he gets bored.

And my advice to the ones who are going to try picking cotton. Do _not_ offer the bag with the bolls you're sparing for crafting. The NPC will purchase all of them and pay you the price. After that stomping the ground, swearing or veiled threats; anything you do, the NPC won't care, leaving you with a handful (a halfling's hand that is) of coins.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

April 01, 2009, 01:57:16 PM #57 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:00:37 PM by Nyr
Quote from: evil_erdlu on April 01, 2009, 01:53:39 PM
Gith? It's my eighth character and I've yet to see a gith. I guess they are also killed quickly.

I think there might be another reason you have not seen any gith.

edit to add:  and once again I leave off the link and quote.

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/timeline.cgi
1579 (Year 39 Age 21)
An army of gith holds Allanak in an extended period of loose seige, using the citystate's extensive sewer system to infiltrate the city from beneath the ground. An organized defense effort consisting of the Arm of the Dragon, the T'zai Byn, and the Great Merchant Houses beats back the majority of gith forces within the city. A large portion of the gith threat claims the Borsail estate, however, despite House Tor's concentrated defense of the noble's quarter. The farming villages, responsible for much of the city's grain production, are attacked at roughly the same time, though the gith hoarde is defeated with a counterattack, led by Lord Templar Samos Rennik. The besieged Borsail estate, declared to be treacherous, is sunk into a pit of lava shortly thereafter by the Black Robe Tarith Kasix, effectively ending the gith threat.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

April 01, 2009, 02:44:02 PM #58 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:54:45 PM by Synthesis
The inability to leave without picking cotton is pretty annoying.

I was this close to murdering the guard and shoving a handful of cotton bolls up his ass.

I stopped by with my hunter to see what all the fuss was about, and couldn't get back out because I didn't have a motherfucking bag that wasn't chock full of bullshit.  (There's no telling whether the NPC takes the whole bag of loot, a la the salt merchant, or just empties out the cotton.)  Fortunately, the duskhorn skull I was toting around served as a suitable container.

I just don't see what the fucking point of trapping people inside the fields is.  It's almost like a Blackmoon North Road holdup:

The squat mul has arrived from the east, sprinting in.
The enormous half-giant has arrived from the east.
The tall, muscular man has arrived from the east.
The squat, muscular dwarf has arrived from the east.

The enormous half-giant begins guarding the west exit.
The tall, muscular man begins guarding the east exit.
The squat, muscular dwarf begins guarding the north exit.

The squat mul subdues you, despite your attempts to struggle away.

The squat mul says, in sirihish:
     "forage cotton"
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

What if the NPC were to give you a cotton sack upon entry and take it back when you leave?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

It's still really annoying. There's no warning that you're going to get stuck in there. I accidentally stumbled in and spent the next half hour foraging cotton while thinking about murdering that guard.

Quote from: Yam on April 01, 2009, 03:57:41 PM
It's still really annoying. There's no warning that you're going to get stuck in there. I accidentally stumbled in and spent the next half hour foraging cotton while thinking about murdering that guard.

Same happened to me... suffice it to say I was rather unhappy.  And even more so when I got my pay for a mindless 20-30 minutes of cotton picking and waiting (happened at night).

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I got caught in there with a character that had no IC reason for ever cotton picking, and I had to wish up and wait a while for any sort of wheeling and dealing for that to happen.

Still.

Annoying.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Doppelganger on February 12, 2009, 03:22:24 PM
If they really like you, Dasari provide an unconfirmed antidote when they test an unconfirmed poison on you.
Depending on success, they might throw in an unconfirmed wreath for your funerals too.

/not Dasari, obviously

You are Plisken
Keywords: Snake ruggedly handsome one-eyed human
Sdesc: The ruggedly handsome, one-eyed human
Objective: To rescue the Sun King from Undertuluk and recieve the antidote to the poison the Dasari injected me with.
Long Description: Code generated long description
You are 28 years, 6 months and 12 days old, which by your race and appearance is mature.

Your strength is extremely good, your agility is extremely good,
your wisdom is very good, and your endurance is Absolutely Incredible.

Guild: Warrior Sub-guild: Rebel

MY GOD I SO WANT TO APP SNAKE PLISKEN NOW!

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I just picked some cotton for the first time, I liked the entire experience! The NPC is very well-written, too. I liked the interactivity.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Synthesis on April 01, 2009, 02:44:02 PM

I was this close to murdering the guard and shoving a handful of cotton bolls up his ass.

I stopped by with my hunter to see what all the fuss was about, and couldn't get back out because I didn't have a motherfucking bag that wasn't chock full of bullshit.  (There's no telling whether the NPC takes the whole bag of loot, a la the salt merchant, or just empties out the cotton.)  Fortunately, the duskhorn skull I was toting around served as a suitable container.

I just don't see what the fucking point of trapping people inside the fields is.  It's almost like a Blackmoon North Road holdup:

The squat mul has arrived from the east, sprinting in.
The enormous half-giant has arrived from the east.
The tall, muscular man has arrived from the east.
The squat, muscular dwarf has arrived from the east.

The enormous half-giant begins guarding the west exit.
The tall, muscular man begins guarding the east exit.
The squat, muscular dwarf begins guarding the north exit.

The squat mul subdues you, despite your attempts to struggle away.

The squat mul says, in sirihish:
     "forage cotton"

HAHAHA, the simile is complete:

you can escape the cotton fields death trap by typing "flee self!"
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Lol. Someone needs to rescue the cotton pickers from voluntary enslavement.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

is cotton "production" fully implemented yet?

If so I am having trouble.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 14, 2009, 02:45:47 AM
is cotton "production" fully implemented yet?

If so I am having trouble.

It's definitely possible to get from cotton bolls to clothing, with all the steps in between. Check out help clothworking and help weaving.

Is silk weaving in the game yet?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

May 26, 2009, 05:28:44 PM #70 Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:33:12 PM by Agent_137
am I dumb? Does "west of the plains gate" not mean exactly that? Why can't I find the cotton-pickin' fields?

nevermind. found it. Southwest is a better description than 'west'.

One minor complaint - last time I picked cotton, someone shut the gate... Not realising this, my character went to leave but found the gate blocking his path. But though my character didn't move, the NPC none-the-less took his ticket and I had to get another ticket to leave.

And if you accidentally walk into the cotton fields it doesn't really take long to forage enough cotton to leave, but none-the-less I agree that maybe there should be some sort of warning that you're entering an area which you need a ticket to leave?

Other than that though, I like it.

September 06, 2009, 06:19:15 PM #72 Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:24:04 PM by number13
Quote from: Synthesis on April 01, 2009, 02:44:02 PM

I wish I had read this before falling into this particular trap. A quit room would be nice, an automated method of bribing the NPCs to let you go, or something.

How would staff feel, about me rolling up a thiefly character whose sole purpose was so hide at the Cotton gates, and steal tokens as soon as players received them?

How long would it take before the entire Arm community set fire to my entire state?

;)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

One concern I've had is.. What if you have no bags, and no sid to buy one? If I remember right, you have to give the cotton to the guy in a bag.

YOU REMAIN TRAPPED FOREVAR?!
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best