Re: Kadian shop in Luirs

Started by RogueGunslinger, February 09, 2009, 03:50:34 PM

February 10, 2009, 08:25:03 AM #25 Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:27:09 AM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: DustMight on February 10, 2009, 07:59:55 AM
Sure - sure - RP for a goods is great.

So why don't we do that more in Tuluk? Instead we have always accessible NPC shops there and none in Allanak.  Why the difference (with regard to wood, this is understandable)?

It's a shame that Tuluki's are loosing such valuable roleplay experience such as buying a new pouched belt can bring or a nice do-dad or one of the bazillion bits of armor or weapons that can be purchased from those non-RPing NPCs!

::)

Your arguments sound like those of child who's sibling got a piece of candy and they didn't:
First you complain about not getting one... when that doesn't work, you say they don't deserve one either.

Reread my most and noticed that I AGREED with there needing to be a container-buying merchant in Allanak.
THEN reread my post, to find some ideas on how I think players could deal with the situation until it is resolved.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Reasons why Allanak has less-than-exquisite-shit but Tuluk has it:

1. Storms. In a city that has storms more often than clear skies, sandcloth > silk. In fact, sandcloth > linen, or just about anything else.
2. Heat. In a city that has its very own personal living lava pit, sandcloth > leather. Sandcloth > chitin, and even silt horror plate, which is native to the region. In fact, it's a mystery why silt horrors don't wear sandcloth.
3. Oppressive Authority. No one plays jaunty tunes on the fiddle in Allanak, because there's not much to be jaunty about in Allanak. Allanak is a mean, nasty, unpleasant, smelly, filth-infested, crotch-rotting city, run by mean, nasty, unpleasant, angry templars and their mean, nasty, unpleasant, smelly, filth-infested, crotch-rotted, corrupt Militia. Where, in the midst of that, would you like to -see- a happy peppy poetry contest, and how long do you think the poet would live before some rinthi shoots a shiv in his back from the next room away, just to shut him the fuck up?
4. Tuluk was built on art. That is its function. It is the Anti-Nak. Or at least, that's what the Northerners want people to think. They know better. It's just as nasty as Allanak, however they cover their nasty up in silk, and muddle the masses with spice so they're oblivious to it. Their authority is just as oppressive. Their methodology is more aesthetically pleasing. That's all.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Thank you to both the imms and players that worked to give us this new shop.

Well said, Lizzie.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2009, 08:54:52 AM
Reasons why Allanak has less-than-exquisite-shit but Tuluk has it:

1. Storms. In a city that has storms more often than clear skies, sandcloth > silk. In fact, sandcloth > linen, or just about anything else.
2. Heat. In a city that has its very own personal living lava pit, sandcloth > leather. Sandcloth > chitin, and even silt horror plate, which is native to the region. In fact, it's a mystery why silt horrors don't wear sandcloth.
3. Oppressive Authority. No one plays jaunty tunes on the fiddle in Allanak, because there's not much to be jaunty about in Allanak. Allanak is a mean, nasty, unpleasant, smelly, filth-infested, crotch-rotting city, run by mean, nasty, unpleasant, angry templars and their mean, nasty, unpleasant, smelly, filth-infested, crotch-rotted, corrupt Militia. Where, in the midst of that, would you like to -see- a happy peppy poetry contest, and how long do you think the poet would live before some rinthi shoots a shiv in his back from the next room away, just to shut him the fuck up?
4. Tuluk was built on art. That is its function. It is the Anti-Nak. Or at least, that's what the Northerners want people to think. They know better. It's just as nasty as Allanak, however they cover their nasty up in silk, and muddle the masses with spice so they're oblivious to it. Their authority is just as oppressive. Their methodology is more aesthetically pleasing. That's all.

I want you to know I fell out of my chair laughing through this post! Great job! If I could make all that a signature, I would.. Hrm.. I wonder..
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

Fantasy>  Your anologies of "children and their behaviors" in various threads are old and tired.  I personally have been playing for nearly fifteen years and have a fairly good player's perspective on the game.  It is unfair that because you don't like the fact that I find fault with the economy and find it silly that Luir's (steroid beast that it is) gets a bump economically when few players are there awhile Allanak, which has its own loyal player-base gets shafted yet again that you suggest I'm being a child.

I'm saying it is unrealistic that Allanak doesn't have an art culture, does not have luxury goods and does not have a plethora of resources that match Tuluk.  It is actually, asinine to think that the city-state could support itself.  And it is asinine that a character might have to spend 40+ RL hours hunting down someone so they can buy a flute case, for god's sake.  Or a guitar, even one made of gut and shell.

It's great that Luir's got a Kadian shop.  I remember 10+ years ago playing a Kuraci family member trying to broker this same deal. Glad it finally went down.  I wonder if they'll sell more than a few pairs of pants.  If they start selling luxury goods to the tribals, maybe they'll send some of that down south, too, you know - where there are a bunch of players.

Maybe next time you want to critique my argument, critique the argument, eh?

Lizzie>
Storms:  Good reason not to have art and luxury items, good selection of weapons and armor at reasonable prices?  
People can wear their silk INSIDE.  People in modern-day desert environments STILL wear silk.

Heat: Yeah, good reason not to have art and luxury items.  Does not compute.

Tuluk was not built on art: Tuluk was somehow built up (magickally must be) after it was nearly completely destroyed.  And they suddenly developed this deep culture of art that never existed before. Now, I applaud the Imms behind this (San, I believe was the motivator?) but they cut Allanak out of the loop completely.  Nothing for Allanak.  We get one or two dragon-faced carvings and that's it. No docs, no nothing.  Do you know ANY culture without art?

Luir's getting a shop built that has been in virtual existence for IC years has nothing to do with arguments over Tuluki culture and Allanaki culture. 
This is probably the first time I've heard of anyone complaining that Allanak isn't getting any love and Tuluk is getting it all.  Usually, it's the other way around.
If you want to debate the finer points of Allanaki culture vs. Tuluki culture, create a thread to discuss that.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Im just in a feisty mood and love Allanak but hate that my curr character has to jump through hoops to buy a darn sash or instrument.  That is all.

the art of backstab.

Coming soon from the 'rinth.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

DustMight has a point. I encourage you to create your own thread about culture.

In regards to the new shop: awesome.

Quote from: DustMight on February 10, 2009, 10:59:36 AM
Im just in a feisty mood and love Allanak but hate that my curr character has to jump through hoops to buy a darn sash or instrument.  That is all.

I wonder if you can rent the Lord Templars' sash or instrument?
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

If this thread isn't kept on topic, it will be locked.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

When I peeked in the shop today, I liked what I saw. It seemed to fit the general atmosphere of Luirs, yet was cool enough to make me wish I had more sid to buy those things!
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: DustMight on February 10, 2009, 07:31:09 AM
How many beautiful markets are in Tuluk?

How many in Allanak?

If you want to buy a luxury item - where do you go - Allanak or Tuluk?

Ever try to buy any instrument besides the two or three that the elf sells in The Retreat?

Are Allanaki's anti-art or something?

Ever compare the prices of the different markets (even for shell and such) between the two places?

Tuluk has been deepened, broadened and made more posh at Allanak's expense ever since the city was thrashed.

Never mind that the Tuluk culture is completely assbackwards (need we get into sword dancing with heavy armor conversation again?) but Allanak has been left to not only IC rot, but OOCly as well.

You need a nice belt - better go to Tuluk - or a nice weapon or a nice pouched wrap for your waist or an instrument or anything else.

That's what I meant.

Tuluk is full of artsy-fartsy fairies. Allanak isn't.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: Archbaron on February 09, 2009, 06:53:09 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 09, 2009, 05:10:27 PM
STILL NO CONTAINER MERCHANT AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHH.
I even submitted an idea... heck, I don't even remember how long ago, suggesting which merchant that already exists in the Allanak Bazaar should purchase containers.  Still nothing.

The Kadian shop, however, is awesome.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: www.armageddon.org
Recent News :: This Week :: Archive ::  RSS

02/10/2009: Added container-buying functionality to a few Allanak Bazaar NPCs -- Nyr
02/08/2009: Kadian shop added to Luir's - no longer virtual! -- Niamh
02/06/2009: 75 new rooms built for Secret Brainz (Arm 1.0) -- Eukelade
02/06/2009: Three new items -- Shalooonsh
02/06/2009: Two new liquor types -- Shalooonsh

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Well, poop!  That's awesome!  I missed that one.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have to post again, that's how excited I am.

I've been waiting some 10-odd years for this moment.

;D
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.