Idea: "OOC status" command

Started by Thunkkin, February 08, 2009, 08:37:47 PM

The discussion about the "review flag" has got me to thinking ... there are times when I wish I could convey certain OOC information to the staff about what I'm doing: information that is a temporary thing and certainly doesn't require e-mail.

Examples:
set oocstatus I'm currently studying for a math exam, so I'm not going to be doing much solo rp in my apartment, but I'm idling here in case someone needs to reach me.
set oocstatus I have a really bad cold and my head is full of snot.  I'm not feeling very creative, but it cheers me up to just be biffing around aimlessly in my clan compound.
set oocstatus I'm having serious connection issues, so I'm not pursuing any plots at the moment that require me to go outside the gates into sandstorms.
set oocstatus I'm cooking dinner, but I'll be checking back in every few minutes in case you animate the clan gortok to bark at me.
set oocstatus I cut my hand badly on a kitchen knife and so my typing is really slow and full of typos.  Sorry23$4%.

I think we all have times when we're "on top of our game" and other times when we're not.  Sometimes, I -know- I'm not and I wish I could have a little flag that lets the imms know that I'm not unaware of the fact that I'm being a bit boring and that I have some (valid?) reasons for what I'm doing.  The think command is great to explain IC behaviour (why is he peeing in that vase?).  But an oocstatus command might be handy to let the staff know about outside factors that are influencing a player's current, short term behaviour. 

Thoughts?
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

While I understand, I'm pretty sure most things like this would be a give-in, or the staff really wouldn't care.

I understand the uses for a command like this and I'm cool with that but if you really feel a need to explain something, I think a 'wish all' would suffice.

Explaining stuff to players is another story though. If something is visibly affecting your play (your E key isn't working, you are typing with four fingers, etc.) I think a simple "ooc Sorry I am typing with a broken hand" is acceptable after it becomes noticeable.

It sort of reminds me of an "OOC Biography" command, or something similar like that.

It's a way to tell the immortal staff what you want to do / accomplish -> and keep track of these things on your character, inside the game, rather than email.

I'm for it!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I like this idea.  At the same time, I see how this could be a TMI (too much information) situation for staff.

I generally would use the "change objective" command in the rare occasions that I would need to impart this kind of information.

Change Objective  (General) 

Change objective changes your objective just as if you had set it from the main menu (when you log on).
Use this if you would like staff interaction, such as requesting a reroll or an NPC to be played by a staff member.
You can also use this to let us know what your character's main purpose is in life.

Syntax:

change objective <objective>

Example:

> change objective To find the six-fingered man.

Note:

When you change your character's objective using this command, your
character will be saved.
See Also:

biography, change
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Or you could just ooc it as usual? Especially if there aren't any other PCs around.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on February 08, 2009, 10:47:54 PM
Or you could just ooc it as usual? Especially if there aren't any other PCs around.

Please don't get in the habit of using OOC for things like this. Keep OOC use as minimal as possible.

Besides, OOCing to an empty room is no indicator staff will see what you're saying.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

I like this idea a lot.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on February 09, 2009, 06:06:07 PM
Quote from: SMuz on February 08, 2009, 10:47:54 PM

Please don't get in the habit of using OOC for things like this. Keep OOC use as minimal as possible.

Besides, OOCing to an empty room is no indicator staff will see what you're saying.
In that case, I support this idea. I'm not fond of using "change objective" for it, especially when I have it set to something else.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I like a lot.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.