How did the character die?

Started by Sephiroto, January 07, 2009, 07:54:52 PM

Our past characeters have backgrounds which we can review.  One thing we never see is how the character died.

Please add script that allows us to write a biography somewhere between -10hp and "Welcome to Armageddon." 

I have an idea how to implement it if the coders want input.  Basically it would involve a biography script with a different name than the original one.  When death happens the game runs the alternate bio command.  Upon the use of the ~ in that command the character is then saved as "dead" and the player is transfered to the title screen as they are now.

If players have ideas, post them here.

Have a 'Death Room' that you go to, where you can write your final bio.
Also, you can log into it and log out of it, while you are waiting for your next character.
There are no other characters there.
You can use the OOC command, if you wanted to talk with Immortals.

The room description would have different ways to "cope" with characters dying.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on January 07, 2009, 10:34:54 PM

Like a text-based Bejeweled game?
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 07, 2009, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: mansa on January 07, 2009, 10:34:54 PM

Like a text-based Bejeweled game?

Or links to psychology websites with how to deal with loss.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on January 07, 2009, 10:37:19 PM
Yeah, putting the suicide hotline in there is a good idea.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

wheres the link to view your past characters?
Free your hate.

Quote from: Archbaron on January 07, 2009, 11:24:37 PM
Quote from: mansa on January 07, 2009, 10:37:19 PM
Yeah, putting the suicide hotline in there is a good idea.

Except that most characters need a suicide hotline after they burn their reroll, not after they die.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Uhhh, good idea, kinda.  But you'd need different death rooms.  Lots of different death rooms, with individual assignments to each.  If it was done like the Hall of Kings, you could have (insert obligatory 'fuck' here) some jackwad die and hang out in the death room waiting to see others who die and spreading knowledge of who's croaked via OOCweb.

Lame, but possible.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

The best way to cope with a character death is to not dwell on it and to move on.

Just  somehow to be able to access the bio to write the final chapter!

Heh, I'd find it rather annoying if I died and then I had to "face it" by having to write a bio in a death room :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Would be nifty and serve a few purposes. Bios, playing out those last minutes of 'death' that you didn't get in all that combat spam or allowing those occasional death via bugs or death that happen to be discussed with an available imm on the spot and allow that chance for a rez to be that much more possible. Might be a little packed during  HRPT's.  ;D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: SMuz on January 09, 2009, 01:43:37 AM
Heh, I'd find it rather annoying if I died and then I had to "face it" by having to write a bio in a death room :P

You could make the death room have a mantis in it, if you want.

Account notes have a short brief about how a character bit it, don't they?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on January 12, 2009, 02:42:00 AM

Yup.

o  pcname (dead)
Pcname (AcctName) has been killed by the gangly, pale-skinned elf, amen.
o  pcname (dead)
Pcname (AcctName) has been killed by a sandy-haired desert tarantula, amen.
o  pcname (dead)
Pcname has perished from somepoison in room 12345. Yuck.
o  pcname (stored)
o  pcname (alive)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I Still have no idea what happened to this guy.  I lost connection one night or something and couldn't get back on until the next morning.
Best stat roll I ever had, too. :(

PC Name (Acct Name) has died from loss of blood, come have a look.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Pcname (AcctName) has died from immortal fury, come revel in your power.

-he wished up wanting to die, so I obliged him.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Yes, but Armageddon is about storytelling, right?  What's the point of having an archive of our char's bios if we can't finish the story?

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 12, 2009, 04:28:48 PM

Yes, but Armageddon is about storytelling, right? 

I know that's meant to be rhetorical, but as far as I know it's never been confirmed.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on January 12, 2009, 04:29:50 PM
Quote from: Sephiroto on January 12, 2009, 04:28:48 PM

Yes, but Armageddon is about storytelling, right? 

I know that's meant to be rhetorical, but as far as I know it's never been confirmed.

Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Perhaps instead of having bios updated while the pc is still in game, you could make it to where bio entries are handled in the account, before you enter the game, while connected to your current pc.

This would help in a lot of ways.

One, you don't need to enter the game to update your bios, forcing yourself to neglect the rp of those around you.

Two you could wholly avoid entering the game if you were just logging in to update your bios.

Three, this would allow you to add a final bio entry to your character when he dies, before disconnecting from him, and creating a new character.

Sorry for the derail, but I think this would coincide with the OP's wishes, and help a great deal of others, if it were at all possible.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: FightClub on February 02, 2009, 06:57:39 AM
Perhaps instead of having bios updated while the pc is still in game, you could make it to where bio entries are handled in the account, before you enter the game, while connected to your current pc.

This would help in a lot of ways.

One, you don't need to enter the game to update your bios, forcing yourself to neglect the rp of those around you.

Two you could wholly avoid entering the game if you were just logging in to update your bios.

Three, this would allow you to add a final bio entry to your character when he dies, before disconnecting from him, and creating a new character.

Sorry for the derail, but I think this would coincide with the OP's wishes, and help a great deal of others, if it were at all possible.

I agree 100%.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Maybe just update bios from the menu?
You may:
     (C) Disconnect from character      (V) Toggle ANSI/VT100 mode   
     (B) Toggle 'brief' menus           (D) Documentation menu       
     (M) Mail menu                      (S) Stats of your character   
     (E) Enter Zalanthas                (X) Exit Armageddon           
     (?) Read menu options              (U) Update your character's biography

A nice side effect is that I could update my bio while not logged in, so people who are interacting with my character won't interfere with it. And after the character dies, unless I disconnect from character, I could still modify the biography for a final change.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.