Wanted!

Started by Legion, January 07, 2009, 11:13:49 AM

Just a thought about the wanted code in game, I would think that changing your apperance should remove the wanted flag from your PC. Its not like they have video and computers to keep track of fleeing criminals. A in game perspective would be a guard reporting to a womens scream of thief, Guard "what happen?" Women "someone tried to steal my whatsits." Guard "what did they look like?"  Women " They where wearing a black cloak and ran north"..Thats all the guard would have to work with. So I figure changing your cloak or other items on your person should remove or at least lesson the time the wanted flag is up. If this doesn't make any sense I'm sorry becuse its early and I just though of this first thing this morning.

I agree, but I can't imagine how that could be changed, unless it is only that s-desc that is flagged.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Quote from: Legion on January 07, 2009, 11:13:49 AM
Just a thought about the wanted code in game, I would think that changing your apperance should remove the wanted flag from your PC. Its not like they have video and computers to keep track of fleeing criminals. A in game perspective would be a guard reporting to a womens scream of thief, Guard "what happen?" Women "someone tried to steal my whatsits." Guard "what did they look like?"  Women " They where wearing a black cloak and ran north"..Thats all the guard would have to work with. So I figure changing your cloak or other items on your person should remove or at least lesson the time the wanted flag is up. If this doesn't make any sense I'm sorry becuse its early and I just though of this first thing this morning.

Why would it not be feasible for the woman in your example to have noticed something physical about the criminal like a facial scar or a tattoo?

This would also be incredibly easy to abuse.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

While easy to abuse, I do think the crim code has been...off...for as long as I remember.

Another suggestion might be to have the city broken down into quarters code wise, and when you become wanted, you're wanted at first only in the quarter in which you committed the crime. And then it slowly spreads to the other quarters.

The insta everyone-in-the-entire-city-immediately-knows-you're-wanted thing has always bothered me.

Perhaps, but I feel it's better to err on the side of lawfulness and stability rather than that of the violent and larcenous criminal minority.

If you want to play in an environment like the latter, there are plenty of places like it in the game.

The crim-code is already pathetically easy to avoid, so long as you're not a complete tard.

It doesn't need to be any easier.

::)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

easy solution: assume the NPC and VNPC guards are waying the other guards in the city to report it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on January 07, 2009, 04:24:39 PM
easy solution: assume the NPC and VNPC guards are waying the other guards in the city to report it.

More than this.  Why don't thieves have an easy time stealing in a room full of pcs and getting caught?  Pcs are very active sometimes.  You steal, get caught, run off, the people in the room will try to look at you, some may try taking the law into their own hands and some might follow you.  You're certain to have pc templars and militia contacted.  Imagine that reaction amplified by the npcs doing more or less the same thing.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 07, 2009, 03:58:06 PM
The crim-code is already pathetically easy to avoid, so long as you're not a complete tard.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Whaaaaat? How? Do you speak of grinding up stats in the 'rinth? Or on PCs then spam-running? :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on January 16, 2009, 06:17:36 AM

Whaaaaat? How? Do you speak of grinding up stats in the 'rinth? Or on PCs then spam-running? :P

If they can't find you afterward, it doesn't matter how badly you fuck up?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 16, 2009, 03:42:53 PM
Quote from: SMuz on January 16, 2009, 06:17:36 AM

If they can't find you afterward, it doesn't matter how badly you fuck up?

Warning, game mechanics spoiler: hide, and sneak.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Don't they still get your name? And somehow find you in the bazaar 2 days later with your cloak up and haul you off into jail?
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Don't expect the crim-code to get any more lax. If your character is smart, there are plenty of ways to avoid going to jail.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: Olgaris on January 19, 2009, 12:18:02 AM
Don't expect the crim-code to get any more lax. If your character is smart, there are plenty of ways to avoid going to jail.

My personal favourite is, "Be strong enough to kill the NPC guards as they come after you in groups."

Never really works out, though.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

If that's the case, pickpockets really should get the hide skill to start.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 19, 2009, 08:40:11 AM
Quote from: Olgaris on January 19, 2009, 12:18:02 AM

My personal favourite is, "Be strong enough to kill the NPC guards as they come after you in groups."

Never really works out, though.

It's really unfortunate when you have a character that accidentally triggers the crim-code, goes near a soldier, only to five seconds later realized you killed the soldier, and you are in -much- deeper shit.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I used to go off on the crimcode all the time.  Synthesis used to too, back in the day...there are ways to learn to avoid it, particularly for certain character types.

The crimcode has always been talked about in a certain way by staff whenever I've brought it up.  It's not that they don't agree that it's not perfect, it's the idea that changing requires pretty much a complete reset and rebuilding of it.  That's a huge workload that would offset all other tasks for a long period of the game, and we would probably still have problems with it.

So I'm not privy to how things are right now, I don't know if there have been changes or whatnot...but I think you'll maybe see a better incarnation of it in the next version of the game, but unless it's a simple code change, it's not likely in Arm 1.

I can be completely wrong here, but just wanted you to know that if it doesn't happen, it's not because it's a horrible idea, it's just -really- hard to do.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Make friends with your templars.

That is all.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on January 26, 2009, 08:02:50 PM

That is all.

That's like saying "Make friends with your neighbors unfriendly rottweiler. It's possible, but unlikely. Unless you have food.

> think How many templars accept food as a bribe?
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Hehe, killing the guards isn't too hard either, just as long as they're not half-giants.

Quote from: Archbaron on January 26, 2009, 08:02:50 PM
Oh, yeah. Definitely. Works in both cities too. If you're in jail in the first place, chances are you've got something some templar wants or the potential to get it ;)