Discussion of apartment re-keying

Started by Vanth, January 03, 2009, 06:11:13 PM

Quote from: Melody on January 03, 2009, 09:24:54 PM
If it is just for a casual look, then the templar should not have entered it. Why would templars stoop so low as to look over every dirty, filthy commoner's apartment? (maybe it is a fetish)

It'd be easy enough to invent a pretext.

think So, soldier Xyzzy saw a suspicious looking character emerging from apartment building X.
think No doubt there's some contraband hidden in there.
think I'm going in.
Lunch makes me happy.

I'd love master keys. Th first things I'd do is find out who has it, pop them/rob them, and take their key.

Or, y'know, the doorguard could just hand a templar a master key when he enters and take it when he leaves.

Y'know, just like they do for everyone else, only with a master key instead of a normal key.

I love the change!

Also, I think OHST's idea would be a great addition.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Hell no on master keys for anyone but Nenyuk. Templars don't have master keys for GMH estates, they don't have keys to noble estates, and they don't have keys to each others' lockboxes. What makes them have ANY need to permanently possess master keys to Nenyuk owned-and-operated buildings? Templars don't even have keys to back rooms in public taverns. They have to tell the bartender to open it for them (which they will of COURSE do..just like any self-respecting life-loving Nenyuk would do for a templar asking to be let into a specific apartment for a specific reason).

But these apartments would no longer have value to Nenyuk, if Templars had the master key. Because then the Templars could rent them for themselves and kick out the tenants. That doesn't mean they will. But they could. And that is VERY bad for business.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If a Templar shows up and asks to search any of the above, the commoners comply, almost uniformly. The reason they DON'T have said master keys is because, well, 1) no such master keys exist in most cases, and 2) said keys would fall into the wrong hands too easily in the cases of pickpockets/templar corpse-looters/etc.

Templars SHOULD be able to go wherever the hell they want, whenever the hell they want, with whatever shitty reason they feel like giving, save for perhaps Blue robes raiding noble houses. If they piss off a GMH head in the process, so be it, and they'll deal with the consequences later -- I just doubt that a GMH head would want to deal with the consequences of pissing off a blue robe right then and there.

And re: being able to rent out the rooms themselves... of course they could. They can, right now. All it takes is them grabbing the current apartment owner by the throat, saying "give me your key, it's mine now" and proceeding to move in. But do they? Nah.

Quote from: Only He Stands There on January 04, 2009, 12:21:21 AM
If they piss off a GMH head in the process, so be it, and they'll deal with the consequences later -- I just doubt that a GMH head would want to deal with the consequences of pissing off a blue robe right then and there.

There are Red Robes and Tek forbid, Black Robes who might be in the Merchant's pocket. If the big templars are not available, there are many other Blue Robes. Appearances should be kept. Just because templars can search and kill people randomly does not mean it is a good idea for them to do so. They can get into apartment easily, but they should not get keys to all apartments. Staffs are only a wish away.
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

Quote from: Only He Stands There on January 03, 2009, 11:57:53 PM
Or, y'know, the doorguard could just hand a templar a master key when he enters and take it when he leaves.

Y'know, just like they do for everyone else, only with a master key instead of a normal key.
I don't think this can hold a pickpocket from stealing the key after the templar gets it from the doorguard. I'm against the idea of templars having the master key.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

There is no coded way to have or create a master key.  Can we end that derail, please?
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Please do not post IC identifying information about your character here.  Thanks.

Quote from: Vanth
Oh, and in case I forgot to mention...

All the keys are identical in appearance now.   Kiss

LMAO!!! Good luck all you key collectors out there!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 04, 2009, 03:41:57 PM
Quote from: Vanth
Oh, and in case I forgot to mention...

All the keys are identical in appearance now.   Kiss

LMAO!!! Good luck all you key collectors out there!

This makes no sense to me. Sounds more like it was created to be an ooc annoyance.

I like it... most keys to a real life apartment building are next to identical save the grooves cut into them.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Yep, they are.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 04, 2009, 05:08:59 PM
I like it... most keys to a real life apartment building are next to identical save the grooves cut into them.

Then perhaps code should be implemented to reflect the differences in the number of grooves and their spacing?

Currently there is no way to discern which key goes where, short of trying every known lock in every known apartment. Silly and not needed.

Use a keyring.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 04, 2009, 05:26:33 PM
Use a keyring.

My commoner burglar would look totally inconspicuous holding a keyring, you're right.

Quote from: Lakota on January 04, 2009, 05:24:26 PM

Currently there is no way to discern which key goes where, short of trying every known lock in every known apartment. Silly and not needed.

Not silly at all.  It makes IC sense to me.

You loot the corpse of some random stranger who has a key.  Of course you have no idea what it goes to, nor should you have any clue.  You have to do the random trial method.
...or...
You follow a mark around for a few days and find out where they live.  Then you pickpocket their key/kill them for their key.
...or...
You now have two keys and you know what they open.  You keep the key to apartmentA in your boot, and the key to apartmentB in your belt pouch.

The only thing this prevents is people automagickally knowing what key opens which apartment because they rented that apartment 5 characters ago.  And it might be a slight inconvenience for people who rent more than one apartment.

Quote from: Vanth on January 04, 2009, 08:30:41 PM
Quote from: Lakota on January 04, 2009, 05:24:26 PM

Not silly at all.  It makes IC sense to me.

You loot the corpse of some random stranger who has a key.  Of course you have no idea what it goes to, nor should you have any clue.  You have to do the random trial method.
...or...
You follow a mark around for a few days and find out where they live.  Then you pickpocket their key/kill them for their key.
...or...
You now have two keys and you know what they open.  You keep the key to apartmentA in your boot, and the key to apartmentB in your belt pouch.

The only thing this prevents is people automagickally knowing what key opens which apartment because they rented that apartment 5 characters ago.  And it might be a slight inconvenience for people who rent more than one apartment.

put key keyring
put 2.key keyring
put 10.key keyring

get keyring pack
unlock door.

Who cares if they look the same, just get 'every' key from every apartment. You cant miss!

If you are going to make all the keys identical, which i think is all types of unnecessarily annoying, should atleast allow people to snatch notches onto them or shapes, something to them them apart.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Quote from: Xio on January 05, 2009, 02:06:20 AM
If you are going to make all the keys identical, which i think is all types of unnecessarily annoying, should atleast allow people to snatch notches onto them or shapes, something to them them apart.

I'd like to discover what is believed to be unnecessarily annoying about each key being identical.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on January 05, 2009, 09:01:39 AM
Quote from: Xio on January 05, 2009, 02:06:20 AM

I'd like to discover what is believed to be unnecessarily annoying about each key being identical.

Why making every apartment key identical to every other apartment key is annoying

It's not realistic.
  A) In real life, though keys may look similar, the number of teeth on the keys aren't.  With an observant and watchful eye, you can tell which keys go to which lock.
  B) Every single apartment complex I've lived at had a different brand a key that worked on the lock, making the whole shape of the key different.
  C) I can't tell if my key to the upstairs room, which has the same description as my key to the downstairs room, when we the players cannot physically change or mark items in the game, for our own reminders, whereas in Real Life I can draw / mark / sticker / tie a ribbon / use a different ring around the key that I use the most.

If all apartment complexes in the known world had different key short-descriptions, but the apartments inside had similar ones, it would lessen some of our discomfort.
If keyrings were sold in Kadius shops instead of from Kadius-Only PCs, that would also lessen some of our discomfort.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one