Discussion of apartment re-keying

Started by Vanth, January 03, 2009, 06:11:13 PM

This is where to discuss my announcement about keys changing.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I really like this. I think it's nice, and realistic, too.

Time to start renewing your collections, guys. :P
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

So far, the idea sounds pretty awesome. Nenyuk re-keys their apartments every once in a while - at least the nicer ones.

Two things to look into:

1) Master keys. Perhaps there are keys that will work on apartments no matter how many times the lock is re-keyed. Maybe Nenyuk keeps these for their own use, or hands them to templars/nobles for whatever reason

2) Frequency of re-keying. Perhaps Nenyuk doesn't bother to re-key their low-rent apartments but once every two years, whereas the high-end ones get a new lock every month.

Finally, there should be some way for current renters to virtually get their new keys, if they're stuck inside the apartment.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I definately like the ideas of templars getting master keys.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

It makes sense that apartment complexes would take this precaution.  If a landlord doesn't receive a key back from a renter IRL they usually replace the lock, sometimes even if they do receive the key back.

Quote from: Delstro on January 03, 2009, 06:19:40 PM
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 03, 2009, 06:15:15 PM
2) Frequency of re-keying. Perhaps Nenyuk doesn't bother to re-key their low-rent apartments but once every two years, whereas the high-end ones get a new lock every month.

This probably won't ever be done more often than 2-3 times per RL year because it's a pain in the ass.

However, staff are tossing around some ideas for other ways to make key collections less useful.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Beautiful.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Don't some items in game have a set "use by" date?   Is there any way to do that to keys?    That way all the Imms have to do is "reset" the landlord's keys  and  people who take up collections will eventually find nothing but dust on their keyring.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

To be honest, I don't see why you don't just put a timer on them so they just degrade over time. Apartment keys would not be master crafts anyway. Nenyuk would have to be constantly having them made so they would pick cheap materials and craftsmen. The keys don't degrade when given back to the manager because he/she tucks them into a drawer or pegboard rather then leaving them jostle about in a pack/pocket get buried in the bottem of somebodies chest with a few rocks and shells on top of it. Have the script simply run out after a short time, somewhere between 10 and 24  rl hours, course script stops while person is logged out with key on them. Problem solved and something you need do only once, unlike rekeying the apartments a few times a year.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Most of them are made out of sandstone anyway, last I checked.
Sandstone is not exactly damage proof.
> forage artifacts

Quote from: Clearsighted on January 03, 2009, 07:30:31 PM

I don't.

NEWSFLASH:  Templars rule the cities, they ALLOW the landlord to own and operate that building.  You honestly think the landlord wouldn't give anything the Templars asked of him?  What's he gonna say, "No way Chosen Lord/Lord Templar, I'm not giving you my key."

JaRoD

I don't.
Templars don't need master keys. They come in and break down the door, or some other method. No master keys.

I also say that apartment keys could degrade. Nothing wrong with that.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Cerelum on January 03, 2009, 07:32:21 PM

I don't.

NEWSFLASH:  Templars rule the cities, they ALLOW the landlord to own and operate that building.  You honestly think the landlord wouldn't give anything the Templars asked of him?  What's he gonna say, "No way Chosen Lord/Lord Templar, I'm not giving you my key."

JaRoD

This is what the "wish all" command is for. Templars do not need sets of master keys. That's just asking for twinkery to happen.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Cerelum on January 03, 2009, 07:32:21 PM

JaRoD

I'd say that, in practical terms, the law has enough of an upper hand in the cities without having templars periodically scour apartments and busting Amos X for having one sad smoke in his crappy room.

Not to mention appropriating anything of interest (i.e. unique) or value (commoners undeserving). Burglars wouldn't even have a chance with the new set of "thieves".
Lunch makes me happy.

I'm on the fence. On the one hand, templars can get into apartments anyway. On the other, half the time, 'tis too late by the time they can, because the mark has logged out/left/teleported like the filthy magicker he is.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Templars do have half-giants for that.  But having a minion periodicaly snoop through apartments might be... well, that's what burglars are for, I s'pose.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Seriously. That's petty. Very petty for a templar to go through everyone's room.

I trust the templars. Every one of them.

I like the idea.
> forage artifacts

Quote from: Delstro on January 03, 2009, 08:47:38 PM
Seriously. That's petty. Very petty for a templar to go through everyone's room.

I like the idea.

Besides, if they were going to go through everyone's rooms, they'd just do it anyway.

I like the idea.

It's not about the templars going through everybody's room.

It's about pickpockets getting ahold of that master key when the templar forgets to close his pack.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

No.

It's about both, for me.

No master key if you are not a Nenyuk.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

January 03, 2009, 09:21:11 PM #23 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:25:51 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Tisiphone on January 03, 2009, 08:49:07 PM

I like the idea.

Besides, if they were going to go through everyone's rooms, they'd just do it anyway.

No, they wouldn't, because doing so currently requires staff support, and I can't see the staff hovering around for all the time it would take as the templar enters each apartment in turn for no better reason than to just have a casual look.

EDIT: Or even approving of the templar doing so for that matter.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on January 03, 2009, 09:21:11 PM
Quote from: Tisiphone on January 03, 2009, 08:49:07 PM

I like the idea.

No, they wouldn't, because doing so currently requires staff support, and I can't see the staff hovering around for all the time it would take as the templar enters each apartment in turn for no better reason than to just have a casual look.

If it is just for a casual look, then the templar should not have entered it. Why would templars stoop so low as to look over every dirty, filthy commoner's apartment? (maybe it is a fetish)

Vote for no master key unless it is a Nenyuki!

After all, Nenyuk is decidedly neutral in politics. Imagine being caught between two templars! If one templar wants to check the apartment that another templar rented out for his aide/servant/guards and another templar finds out....
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.