Kank tickets

Started by a strange shadow, January 03, 2009, 03:03:32 PM

January 03, 2009, 03:03:32 PM Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:05:25 PM by a strange shadow
Quote from: OlgarisI'm developing my own personal solution to this as we speak. Maybe I'll make a staff announcement about it. But it would be more fun to leave people wondering why all of a sudden after getting a kank from the stables they're looking at the mantis head, and being welcomed to Armageddon.

Just in case he was serious:

Remember that a lot of old tickets are still laying around, and some of them are to kanks. If a character wants to find out what a ticket is to, ends up with a kank, then suffers severe IC consequences, that wouldn't be very fair. I've re-rented every kank I've found and junked the ticket. I certainly don't want to suffer consequences for getting one indistinguishable leather ticket mixed up for another, due to a handful of players being stupid or unaware that they should not be in possession of this strange mount.

A simple solution would be to have a script added to kank tickets which informs you that the bug is dead.

Heh, yeah.

With my last pickpocket I must've yoinked several dozens of stable tickets, and about 5 of those turned out to be kanks.

I just took 'em to the butcher shop.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 03, 2009, 03:10:15 PM
Heh, yeah.

With my last pickpocket I must've yoinked several dozens of stable tickets, and about 5 of those turned out to be kanks.

That's still kind of twinky considering you can get like two small for them at the butcher or something like that.

Quote from: Bebop on January 04, 2009, 01:06:35 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on January 03, 2009, 03:10:15 PM
Heh, yeah.

That's still kind of twinky considering you can get like two small for them at the butcher or something like that.

Well, with maxed haggle it ended up being like 4 small.  But even then...that's chump change for your average (smart) pickpocket.

I fail to see how it's twinkish.

>think Geeze, I risk my ass to steal this ticket, and all I get is a dying kank.  I better take this shit to the butchers while it can still walk on its own.

I can see people selling off the last of the kanks to a butcher or killing it for its shell which could be worth a ton of money.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

We see herein a failing of Armageddon - when a "pick pocket" considers 400 small to be "chump change" we have a problem.  Pick pockets - most of them - should be living hand to mouth.  One hit of 400 small should be enough to keep the fellow in spice and ale for awhile. 

But, since a good ale costs like 20sid at the Gaj, one would hope that he drank that 400 small in a night.

So maybe it works out in the end.

January 04, 2009, 06:51:56 AM #6 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:14:25 AM by Synthesis
Quote from: DustMight on January 04, 2009, 06:37:58 AM
We see herein a failing of Armageddon - when a "pick pocket" considers 400 small to be "chump change" we have a problem.  Pick pockets - most of them - should be living hand to mouth.  One hit of 400 small should be enough to keep the fellow in spice and ale for awhile. 

But, since a good ale costs like 20sid at the Gaj, one would hope that he drank that 400 small in a night.

So maybe it works out in the end.

I don't see the problem?

To clarify:  400 'sid is chump change for a pickpocket under optimal conditions, I suppose.  When I was playing one, I was the only one in town after a long absence of pickpockets, so for the first 5 days of playtime or so, PCs were fairly lax about securing their valuables, and I didn't have much competition. 

But yeah, 1 kank ticket that scores you 400 'sid is chump change when you've already nicked 10 this month.  While you could make the argument that this is excessive, I could make the argument that it's merely a reflection of the ease with which most characters can acquire 'sids.  After all, there are plenty of ways to score 400 'sid with similar risk profiles.  If so many people didn't have stable tickets/expensive items, 400 'sid would be more meaningful.  In essence, the pickpocket only manages to live off the excesses of other characters...so if a pickpocket is wealthy, it's because other characters are rather fabulously so.

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or not.  On the one hand, it does detract from the struggle to acquire basic needs.  On the other hand, it makes it much easier for people to bribe soldiers/templars/nobles, or to acquire expensive, hard-to-find items, which certainly intensifies the struggle to stay alive over the long-term.  As has been mentioned numerous times, the amount of coin in your bank account is a fairly poor reflection of your ability to stay alive, which I suppose is really the only thing that matters, if anything matters at all.

Not to mention the fact that in order to keep alive, most pickpockets have to pay out rather exorbitant sums to PCs of combat-oriented guilds...because of the tendency of might to make right.  So...if you only nicked a single 400 'sid item a month, you literally would be on the edge of starvation, because chances are the local heavies wouldn't be leaving you alone for less than a few small, which puts you at a clan's salary, without all the associated benefits.

/massive derail

The curse of the burglar and pickpocket is the ability to get stupidly rich, yet have nothing to do with but hoard it or pay other people with to not kill them.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 04, 2009, 02:35:28 AM

I fail to see how it's twinkish.

>think Geeze, I risk my ass to steal this ticket, and all I get is a dying kank.  I better take this shit to the butchers while it can still walk on its own.

It is questionable because there shouldn't BE a dying kank, there should be a long dead kank.  Just walking it through town to the butcher shop would attract attention, much like walking through town with while levitating or walking through town in the uniform of the opposing city's templarate  -- it shouldn't be there, it doesn't belong.

Realistically, when you hand in the ticket there shouldn't be a live animal attached to it at all.  There should be no profit to be had on a kank that died years ago -- even the shell should be long gone.  On the other hand, if there isn't an animal, then the stable hand shouldn't have charged you 20 coins.  Unless he was charging it for "disposal" of your stinky dead kank because you didn't pick it up before it dropped dead? 

Re-stabling the kank, junking the ticket, and pretending the whole thing never happened would seem to be the safest thing to do
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

January 04, 2009, 10:22:14 AM #9 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:27:32 AM by Rahnevyn
400 sid is by no means chump change. Even if it were, it's still being obtained under very questionable methods. Yes, that was twinkish. Synthesis, you really should know better.

Kanks are DEAD. There are NO -- zero, zip, zilch, none, nada, cos(90 degrees) -- kanks left. ANYWHERE.

EVERY SINGLE KANK IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD IS DEAD.

If you find a kank ticket, please re-rent the kank and junk it. If you wish up and ask nicely to the staff, I might even give your 20 coins back.* Do not under any circumstances attempt to sell, trade, ride, or eat the kank.

*I can't speak for anyone else, who may or may not refund your coins and/or kill you.

multiple edits for extra emphasis
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

I, as one of the staffers who will likely kill you if they find you running about with a kank, would like to reiterate the ABSOLUTELY NO KANKS ANYWHERE part of the above message.

Depending on what you did with the kank in the mean time, I may even remove karma.  That -is- a breach of trust, and it will be noticed.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Can the kank ticket issue be put into the MOTD, as a reminder?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on January 04, 2009, 10:38:01 AM
Can the kank ticket issue be put into the MOTD, as a reminder?
How about a code update next reboots that makes the stablehands tell you its dead?

Hmm, I wonder what you guys are planning to the point where there can't be any kanks. Is everyone going to die of honey malnutrition?
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Kanks have been dead ever since shortly after the event that talks about them all dying off in the history file. The last known kank in Zalanthas died off several IC years ago now.

We're not "planning" anything, the fact that some really old mount tickets still give kanks is due to OOC oversight. ICly, they simply do not exist.

So ... if I find a ticket that gives me a kank ... and I use the think and feel commands to RP out not knowing they're all dead ... ... it's cool right?

:-*
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I bet their honey cures some disease that we're all going to die to.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on January 04, 2009, 11:53:59 AM
I bet their honey cures some disease that we're all going to die to.

Like the ants in Medicine Man?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

New players who discover their very first mount ticket, aren't going to know that kanks no longer exist. They won't know that they need to check the help files to find out that kanks don't exist. They will not know that there was an "event" that caused kanks to no longer exist. They won't know that they need to come here to the GDB and learn about how kanks no longer exist. They will only know, that the stablehand gave them a kank. That is what they will know. I don't think it is a good precident to punish players for doing -something- to kanks, other than restabling and junking tickets. The stablehand already has the code to take the ticket and not give back a mount when they get tickets for untamed wild animals. If "dead non-existent virtual kanks that don't really exist, but somehow manage to get ticketed and be in the stables when you try taking them out" were flagged as "untamed wild animals," the problem would be solved, and the players would not have to be punished, and the staff wouldn't have to decide which players to punish, and which players to overlook the error with.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

No one's being or been punished, as obviously there's still some misunderstandings and misinformation about this. Of course, we know YOU all know, and experienced players who've been around in the last year would reasonably know what's up. If it were a new player making an honest mistake, that'd be different than a player willfully exploiting what they know to be an OOC oversight for personal gain of their character.

I'm not empowered to change the code about this, and neither is Shalooonsh. If we were, we would, and yes, I'll try and make someone do that. But meanwhile, we can both at least comment here to let everyone know what's up with kanks -- that they are dead, and that you shouldn't be using them for ANYTHING if you get one from an old stable ticket.

Well, if you folks felt so strongly about it, you should've fucking done something about it, instead of allowing kanks to be removed from the stables like that.

My fucking bad.  Obviously it's not something that's "common sense," if it wasn't intuitive for me after playing the game for 10 fucking years.

::)

Quote from: Synthesis on January 04, 2009, 04:09:36 PM
Well, if you folks felt so strongly about it, you should've fucking done something about it, instead of allowing kanks to be removed from the stables like that.

My fucking bad.  Obviously it's not something that's "common sense," if it wasn't intuitive for me after playing the game for 10 fucking years.

::)

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
- Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 2

That said, chill. The world moves on.  I've been playing for hella long time too and I would be mightly tempted to do it as well - I mean - 400sids isn't going to end the world for anyone - but it is what it is, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure a script could be put on the kank NPC to insta purge it. It would help things, Rah and Shal, and I think that's in your power.

Syn, calm the fuck down. If you didn't know, you didn't know, but it seemed intuitive to me, and prolly most everyone else.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Oh, I'm sorry...I guess I didn't just get called a twink by an Immortal on the public discussion board?

That's incredibly rude, and I think I'm perfectly justified in being a little angry about it.

Rah's not terribly polite in the first place if he doesn't want to be, but he's not unfair. What you did was twinky, whether you meant for it to be or not. I don't think too many people are going to argue that it wasn't. Saying that you did something twinky is not calling you twinky.

Furthermore, you admitted that you did it on the public board and thought it was fine to do so, so Staff clarifying that it was bad form and twinky behavior on the public board prolly shouldn't be taken as an insult.

In any case, we've established. Kank armors and shells, not obsolete just yet. Kank foods, and kanks, definitely obsolete.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

So... if I found a couple globs of sticky kank honey somewhere, would it be a good idea to junk them or consider them... like crystallized honey?

/derail