Riding and complaining

Started by FightClub, December 21, 2008, 10:31:31 PM

Alright, although I initially thought it was nice, being able to ride around the city, I in the long run, and sorely disturbed by this new code addition.  Origionally, I could have a pc, that would ride with a weapon out as a warrior, or another but ranger, within five ooc days.  Currently I'm running a pretty long lived pc, over twenty days playtime, and I still stall in the wilderness, sometimes with a shield out, sometimes without.

Does anyone feel this is entirely screwed, or just me?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: FightClub on December 21, 2008, 10:31:31 PM
Alright, although I initially thought it was nice, being able to ride around the city, I in the long run, and sorely disturbed by this new code addition.  Origionally, I could have a pc, that would ride with a weapon out as a warrior, or another but ranger, within five ooc days.  Currently I'm running a pretty long lived pc, over twenty days playtime, and I still stall in the wilderness, sometimes with a shield out, sometimes without.

Some terrain is more difficult than other terrain.  If you haven't been riding in "tough" terrain, chances are your skill isn't as good as you think it is.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

If you have specific questions about your character, it's usually better to mail them in.  In this case, it is because you are playing a very learning-challenged character which is limiting your maximum riding ability (since your guild does not give you ride normally).  As such, you need every benefit you can get in order to keep going in rough conditions.  Keeping your hands free and on the reins would be one of those.  Choosing a mount that is better at traversing rough terrain would also help you.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

December 21, 2008, 10:45:11 PM #3 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:47:29 PM by FightClub
Quote from: Morgenes on December 21, 2008, 10:40:24 PM

If you have specific questions about your character, it's usually better to mail them in.  In this case, it is because you are playing a very learning-challenged character which is limiting your maximum riding ability (since your guild does not give you ride normally).  As such, you need every benefit you can get in order to keep going in rough conditions.  Keeping your hands free and on the reins would be one of those.  Choosing a mount that is better at traversing rough terrain would also help you.

Did he just call my pc mentally challenged?

Anyway thanks, but does that mean that ride caps are based upon wisdom or racial?
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

December 21, 2008, 10:48:33 PM #4 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:50:05 PM by Morgenes
Quote from: FightClub on December 21, 2008, 10:45:11 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on December 21, 2008, 10:40:24 PM

Did he just call my pc mentally challenged?

no, you quoted it, I said 'learning challenged'.  I'm sure he's a mental god in intelligence, which we don't measure.  I'm sure its just his wisdom is low.

Quote from: FightClubAnyway thanks, but does that mean that ride caps are based upon wisdom or racial?

Ride caps are based on guild/sub-guild then wisdom.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I love the riding change, but it does make it trickier for city-bound folks to practice.

'Club, ask yer 'ostler if there's some way t' keep better holt of yer critter.  Git you a better saddle or somethin'.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Morgenes on December 21, 2008, 10:48:33 PMRide caps are based on guild/sub-guild then wisdom.

Well -- haha, I guess I'm screwed.  Thank you.

There are a couple more factors that contribute to this other than terrain. :P Have fun finding them out.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Are you drunk?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Seems most characers can no longer learn to ride perfectly like we used to, or at least take a prohibitively long time to do so, and it really slows down group riding such as clan outings and restricts what you can do in the often narrow window of time you have if you want to be back by dusk. It's a little annoying, and I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone suggest that riding should be harder back when it wasn't. I once considered proposing a bonus to ride if you're following a highly skilled rider, so I guess I'll do that now. It would really help certain clans get out and about more effectively. The way I see it, it makes some sense that your mount would be easier to handle if in company with a more confident one.

I'll second this. Yet another reason for a Ranger to be important to a group.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Good Gortok on December 22, 2008, 02:06:36 AM
Seems most characers can no longer learn to ride perfectly like we used to, or at least take a prohibitively long time to do so, and it really slows down group riding such as clan outings and restricts what you can do in the often narrow window of time you have if you want to be back by dusk. It's a little annoying, and I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone suggest that riding should be harder back when it wasn't. I once considered proposing a bonus to ride if you're following a highly skilled rider, so I guess I'll do that now. It would really help certain clans get out and about more effectively. The way I see it, it makes some sense that your mount would be easier to handle if in company with a more confident one.

Nice idea

>drop pants
You do not have that item.