Mounted Flee: Let's Bug Out!

Started by brytta.leofa, December 18, 2008, 03:23:05 PM

When you flee on foot, your walk speed is automatically set to "run."

It shorely would be handy if, when fleeing combat on a critter, your mount's speed were similarly set to "run."  Such a short little command, but what an eternity it seems to take to type it...
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

It's not really necessary.  Your mount moves at the same speed you do, so when flee sets your movement speed to run, your mount runs too.  The problem is you can't set it to walk until you dismount and set your character's movement speed to walk.  It's a longstanding bug.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Are you sure?

I got the "you smack Bugsy an' he starts a-gallopin'" message upon typing run.  And it felt like the critter was going faster.

But adrenaline does strange things to a fella.

Quote from: Dalmeth on December 18, 2008, 04:29:23 PM
It's not really necessary.  Your mount moves at the same speed you do, so when flee sets your movement speed to run, your mount runs too.  The problem is you can't set it to walk until you dismount and set your character's movement speed to walk.  It's a longstanding bug.

I believe that bug has been fixed. I haven't noticed it in a while.

Quote from: a strange shadow on December 18, 2008, 05:15:31 PM

I'm fairly certain.  Either way, the point still stands.  The mount runs at the same speed you set your character's movement speed, and flee sets the movement speed to run.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Unless the other party is mounted, or a creature who could potentially chase down your inix/kank/pet scrab, whatever you're riding.

I think you should just be able to ride away.  Flee I get cause you gotta outrun/maneuver your opponent, but if you swing a sword at the guy on the horse, and he doesn't have the horse just stomp/run you into the ground, he could easily turn and be off.

JaRoD

December 30, 2008, 06:37:07 AM #6 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:39:21 AM by Jarek
Quote from: Dalmeth on December 18, 2008, 06:27:49 PM
Quote from: a strange shadow on December 18, 2008, 05:15:31 PM

I'm fairly certain.  Either way, the point still stands.  The mount runs at the same speed you set your character's movement speed, and flee sets the movement speed to run.

That has been changed as of recent, not sure how recent.  Flee from combat now, type run, you will see your mount start running, even though your pc is prompted to run.  So you have to type run, even if you're fleeing, to have your mount flee at run speed.  You can, however, set your personal movement speed to walk while mounted, by typing walk.

This was probably changed because people kept complaining about running their mounts out of stamina, because they forgot to switch back to walk.

Quote from: Jarek on December 30, 2008, 06:37:07 AM
Flee from combat now, type run, you will see your mount start running, even though your pc is prompted to run.  So you have to type run, even if you're fleeing, to have your mount flee at run speed.  ... This was probably changed because people kept complaining about running their mounts out of stamina, because they forgot to switch back to walk.

That's what I thought I'd observed.

For myself, I think I'd rather use my mount's superior speed to escape death than have the code save me from forgetting to slow down.  But I'm not very experienced at rangerish play, and stamina loss is a way to die, too.

Ok, well I'm changing it so that the mount's speed gets set to run when you flee.  If we hear an uproar about people forgetting to change the speed back, we'll consider other options.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 10, 2009, 09:52:10 PM
Ok, well I'm changing it so that the mount's speed gets set to run when you flee.  If we hear an uproar about people forgetting to change the speed back, we'll consider other options.

That's perfect. If they can't remember to make the mount walk, that's their problem. It's the same thing as when you flee on foot. Consistency is good.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

No, just kidding.  Sweet code change!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Weeee  ;D
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Morg...

I think this is a good change (or change back as it may be)

You guys work your asses off nearly every day for a non-play-to-play game.
You all rock no matter how much we bitch at you.  You give your all for nothing.

Thank you very much!!!

-FW
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Good change.

Thanks much, Morg.

I would rather take the risk of a tired mount then a dead PC.

Thank you, Morgenes. :)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.