Job Opportunities Throughout the Known World

Started by KIA, December 18, 2008, 12:24:29 AM

I'd like to see a slight increase in the coins (I mean very slight) made from independent jobs. I think that spice should sell for a couple coins more in Red Storm, and maybe see the same increase for tailored goods there, at the Sand Lord's warehouse. Lumber in the north could afford to sell for five more coins a log, and poles and planks one or two coins. Also, there should be a merchant that will buy logs and poles and planks in Allanak, as well as a place in Tuluk that buys obsidian. This would encourage travel and trade between the two areas, and we might see more action along the roads because of it.  Mining too, is a great option, and perhaps large chunks could be upped five coins and small chunks two.

They are slight increases, and it makes sense for the south to want wood while the north would want obsidian. Since there is a truce, it seems likely that this kind of thing would manifest, though I understand that the staff may want to see players organize it into the world rather than just set up shops.

Another place that I thought might buy wood is a certain lumber town that may or may not be IC knowledge. But that would be a cool place to add a tavern and set up a couple more shops to encourage fringe populations there. We certainly have the player base to do this, and I think it would bring some delightful opportunities into the game.

Thoughts?

If there were also something to do around the farms that surround Allanak, perhaps there would be a small influx of players into these far off places and make them a viable alternative to the major city centers, while reducing the time played alone, solo-RPing.
"The perfect police state has no police." - William S. Burroughs

No. This is a bad idea. It was already WAY too easy to make money everywhere. Commoners should have less money.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I don't know quite how it should be fixed, but the economy always seemed a little off to me in general.

I don't buy in on the whole "commoners should be dirt poor" concept myself, because I'm of the mind that PC's are always going to be the exceptions that shine brighter than the NPCs around them ... I don't think many people want to play grebbing beggers who starve while the nobility sip tea and watch. We have swarms of NPC's that fill that role.

I just wish that the ways to go about making money were a bit more diverse, but maybe it'll have to wait until 2.arm.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

There are places that will buy logs, poles, and planks down south.

There are places that will buy raw obsidian up north.

Make it happen.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: musashi on December 18, 2008, 01:16:36 AM
I don't know quite how it should be fixed, but the economy always seemed a little off to me in general.

I don't buy in on the whole "commoners should be dirt poor" concept myself, because I'm of the mind that PC's are always going to be the exceptions that shine brighter than the NPCs around them ... I don't think many people want to play grebbing beggers who starve while the nobility sip tea and watch. We have swarms of NPC's that fill that role.

I just wish that the ways to go about making money were a bit more diverse, but maybe it'll have to wait until 2.arm.

Quite frankly, it is far too easy, with staying ic fully, to make far more than a noble as a commoner, unless you join a House and can't make shit. That is the problem I see.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on December 18, 2008, 02:08:20 AM

Quite frankly, it is far too easy, with staying ic fully, to make far more than a noble as a commoner, unless you join a House and can't make shit. That is the problem I see.

Yeah...which means commoners end up dying with 100,000 'sid in the bank, whereas nobles end up storing with 0.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Quote from: tortall on December 18, 2008, 02:08:20 AM

I disagree with this. There are ways to make money, but the people who know how to play an indy commoner in the manner in which they will get rich are NOT the majority, tortall, and it is impossible to do this without a lot of dedication to the task of making money. This comes at the expense of interaction, a lot of times.

My point is to stimulate the economy and give the intensives for more of these roles to exist. It would also have positive consequences for the structure of commoner society, because of the SLIGHT increase in money, and activity in the fringe locations.

I understand your perception of money making, being that I know several ways to do this myself. This is not quite the point. These 'methods' are not viable if you're role playing well, if your focus is interaction and you are unwilling to give extensive time to toughing it out solo. A life of crime and questionable activity may too be very profitable. That's not the type of thing I'm discussing here, however.

Quote from: KIA on December 18, 2008, 12:24:29 AM
I'd like to see a slight increase in the coins (I mean very slight) made from independent jobs. I think that spice should sell for a couple coins more in Red Storm, and maybe see the same increase for tailored goods there, at the Sand Lord's warehouse. Lumber in the north could afford to sell for five more coins a log, and poles and planks one or two coins. Also, there should be a merchant that will buy logs and poles and planks in Allanak, as well as a place in Tuluk that buys obsidian. This would encourage travel and trade between the two areas, and we might see more action along the roads because of it.  Mining too, is a great option, and perhaps large chunks could be upped five coins and small chunks two.

They are slight increases, and it makes sense for the south to want wood while the north would want obsidian. Since there is a truce, it seems likely that this kind of thing would manifest, though I understand that the staff may want to see players organize it into the world rather than just set up shops.

Another place that I thought might buy wood is a certain lumber town that may or may not be IC knowledge. But that would be a cool place to add a tavern and set up a couple more shops to encourage fringe populations there. We certainly have the player base to do this, and I think it would bring some delightful opportunities into the game.

Thoughts?

If there were also something to do around the farms that surround Allanak, perhaps there would be a small influx of players into these far off places and make them a viable alternative to the major city centers, while reducing the time played alone, solo-RPing.

I suspect this would really only change matters for people who don't want to talk to other players, or haul large volumes of materials around.  Player merchants will already buy materials for more than the pc shops will.  Sure, it can be a little work to hook up with people, but the reward for doing so already exists.

Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

I was once told that the difference between a Noble and a Commoner is that:

A Noble is a noble because their money makes money, without work. (Or something to that affect)
A Commoner is a commoner because they go out and make their own, with work.

I would definitely like to see more shops opened up in the surrounding villages of Allanak.am

When joe and smoe fill up all the stores in Allanak with random crap, Amos would have to travel to one of the surrounding villages to make a sell - Even if at a cheaper price. Oh, dusk falls. Might as well hang out in town at the local tavern. Yay! New mini-city!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 18, 2008, 04:43:49 AM

I would definitely like to see more shops opened up in the surrounding villages of Allanak.am

When joe and smoe fill up all the stores in Allanak with random crap, Amos would have to travel to one of the surrounding villages to make a sell - Even if at a cheaper price. Oh, dusk falls. Might as well hang out in town at the local tavern. Yay! New mini-city!

Definitely. I love those little out of the way taverns, and the people you meet there once in a while are often very interesting. Great play evolves out of these encounters, which are by far too few. Gunnerblaster understands what I'm trying to get at I think.

Quote from: KIA on December 18, 2008, 02:25:26 AM
I disagree with this. There are ways to make money, but the people who know how to play an indy commoner in the manner in which they will get rich are NOT the majority, tortall, and it is impossible to do this without a lot of dedication to the task of making money. This comes at the expense of interaction, a lot of times.

Whereas I agree, to some extent, I do have clanned commoner characters who are /not/ merchants, couldn't craft for shit, and got tons of interactions, never step out of their respective city and make enough sids to have over five digits in the bank always despite my spending sprees. I always liked bribery and blackmail...

I think it is a matter that some people are not aware that some options and choices are available and can be done. :) It's nice to have a mentor ic. Get those lessons, both for ic growth and learning more about arm oocly through the experience.
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

First, nobles are nobles because of their blood -- it doesn't matter how much money they have (or how much money/power the GMH have)

I think the economy is "off" because it's not PC based.  The majority of PCs (nobles/ merchants/ commoners) are spending money A) at coded shops  or B) on "information". 

Also, many of those "rich" independent PCs are travelers, except they often travel by themselves.   ICly, there should be no independent merchants and travelers -- a dangerous world will simply not allow it.

Code-wise I don't think there is much that can be changed to make things right, it has to come from role-play. 

If some independent traveler, decked in sids, comes into town by themselves IMMEDIATELY people should think gemmer or something else to IC explain by some lone person would dare leave the city perimeter (have to assume most hunters don't travel more than half a day from the protection of the city)

If there is an independent crafter/ merchant about --> treat them as such, don't go hiring them for espionage.

The relationship between GMH and independents needs to be realistic.   There are thousands of crafters and merchants in the city -- plenty of them don't work for a GMH.  The idea that a GMH would feel "threatened" by one lowly PC merchant is kind of like saying McDonald's should feel threatened by some 15-seat little restaurant.   

HOWEVER, if some PC starts throwing around real money (like hiring spies of their own, getting too much mouth for their own good) higher-ups should take notice.  Zanthas is set up as a very class-oriented society.  Someone who has enough sids to have "power"... that's a threat to Noble houses, GMH, and templarate.

Most clans need to crack-down on moonlighting.   OOCly it takes jobs away from other PCs   ICly it means your worker isn't giving 100% -- they may not be life-time work terms any more, but they're still 24/7 jobs when employed.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on December 18, 2008, 09:14:31 AM
First, nobles are nobles because of their blood -- it doesn't matter how much money they have (or how much money/power the GMH have)

This is definitely true.

QuoteI think the economy is "off" because it's not PC based.  The majority of PCs (nobles/ merchants/ commoners) are spending money A) at coded shops  or B) on "information".

This is more flexible. It really depends on the GMH pcs available nearby. Sorry, those <item> are more than twice worth in a shop, why would my character want to pay more and wait tons longer just to highlight the differences between PCs and NPCs? I thought you were supposed to try and treat both of them the same?

(The exception to this is indies. They've been much nicer on deals than GMH members available, in my admitedly very limited experience)

QuoteCode-wise I don't think there is much that can be changed to make things right, it has to come from role-play.

Codewise, I think there is plenty that could be done to change it. But it would hardly be worth the timesink for an entire overhaul of the economy (and most likely all the coding behind it, and the costs associated with every item in the world). That's why I'm looking forward to Arm 2. The economy there seems very very promising.

QuoteIf some independent traveler, decked in sids, comes into town by themselves IMMEDIATELY people should think gemmer or something else to IC explain by some lone person would dare leave the city perimeter (have to assume most hunters don't travel more than half a day from the protection of the city)

Not fair. For all you know, they could be a tribal, or be tied up in some tribal business. While it may not be as logical in Allanak (never played there), it seems plenty logical for Tuluk. To automatically expect people to shun them seems a bit too harsh, really. I mean, why would they shun them?

QuoteThe relationship between GMH and independents needs to be realistic.   There are thousands of crafters and merchants in the city -- plenty of them don't work for a GMH.  The idea that a GMH would feel "threatened" by one lowly PC merchant is kind of like saying McDonald's should feel threatened by some 15-seat little restaurant.

This... my God... THIS. Seriously.

QuoteHOWEVER, if some PC starts throwing around real money (like hiring spies of their own, getting too much mouth for their own good) higher-ups should take notice.  Zanthas is set up as a very class-oriented society.  Someone who has enough sids to have "power"... that's a threat to Noble houses, GMH, and templarate.

Within limits. I mean, it's a completely different situation with each and every one. Some of them really may not be worth the sid.
And, keep in mind, it's much better not to just up and off people. Lots of fun can come from these fucked up little situations when they do arise.

QuoteMost clans need to crack-down on moonlighting.   OOCly it takes jobs away from other PCs   ICly it means your worker isn't giving 100% -- they may not be life-time work terms any more, but they're still 24/7 jobs when employed.

This, but within reason.

Seriously, many of the clans have really, really shitty pay. I think that the pay should be upped if you're killing all their other chances to make up for it.

This. Especially with merchant characters. Sorry, I don't play a merchant when I want to play a dirty beggar, I play a merchant when I want to play a talented, intelligent craftswoman who has a good insight into markets, profits, society as a whole, and a good aptitude for working the above to her greatest advantage.

If I wanted to play some filthy beggar, I'd play a pickpocket. If I wanted to play a straight-up grebber, I'd play a ranger.

If the class you're playing is geared toward making coin and you aren't striving towards the same end, that's cool. I'm not one to say people are doing things wrong (and I've always been for a skill-based system, myself), but making it out like indies who make a chunk of coin are twinking assholes or have it too easy is a highly skewed perception.

I've played several people who were independent and had hirelings, none of them have ever topped about 1,500 sid in the bank. Nothing wrong if you have.

I don't see the people who say they've played indie merchants with 50,000+ sid in the bank. I don't. Maybe if you're -very- long lived and spend a -lot- of time working and travelling. Maybe.

Quote from: Halcyon on December 18, 2008, 04:29:35 AM
I suspect this would really only change matters for people who don't want to talk to other players, or haul large volumes of materials around.  Player merchants will already buy materials for more than the pc shops will.  Sure, it can be a little work to hook up with people, but the reward for doing so already exists.

This. Although those players should, rightfully, be doing so with subterfuge and not one-upping the shops by much, for fear of stepping on bigger, more powerful toes.

Quote from: tortall on December 18, 2008, 12:40:28 AM
No. This is a bad idea. It was already WAY too easy to make money everywhere. Commoners should have less money.

Not so much. It really depends on how much metagaming people do. Sure, it's easy to bring in five swords of doom right after reboot and clear out -all- the coin the shop has, and clear out -all- the sell spots for it, but then what happens to the rest of the people looking to sell them?

Also, it is usually easy to make coin with a skilled character, but due to the 'all-or-nothing' system arm has, it's very difficult to survive at the beginning without tons of skill-grinding, and the last thing I would want to do is increase that. There can always be the arguement to join a house, but until the house system is fixed (merchant houses -and- noble houses), there isn't really too much that can be done at times.

(for example, the off-peaker who never runs into a rep for a GMH that they have complimentary skills to join up with, or the GMH that wants a newbie character to have a mount, or the -vast- differences in pay within GMHs. Sorry, but certain ranks of a certain clan... they get shit on when it comes to profit. They make about half enough to rent an apartment and they are the ones bringing in all of the vaunted steady supply of food and water, plus all of the other things that the people with the perks in the clan use)

Seems to me like clans -and- the economy are broken. Sure, it's not going to fix everything to pile more money on the nobility and the shoulders of the GMH's, but, short of retooling the entire economy, as well as the entire crafting system, that seems the easiest, most logical way to help the situation. Is it gonna make indies less rich? No. Will it make joining a clan more appealing? Yes. Will it give nobles the edge on indies (coinwise)? Yes. Will it (unlike shitting down commoners money even more, or making profits of commoners less, or making crafting even more difficult) encourage skill grind or spamcrafting? No.

Seems like the all-round fix to me.

Also, in places like Tuluk, I would think it should be more common to see people in silk, simply because it's more common there. Just like I would think that nobles in Allanak would likely look for more clothing with wooden buttons, wooden jewelry, and etc, simply because it's rarer there.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

2sids wrote:
QuoteThe relationship between GMH and independents needs to be realistic.   There are thousands of crafters and merchants in the city -- plenty of them don't work for a GMH.  The idea that a GMH would feel "threatened" by one lowly PC merchant is kind of like saying McDonald's should feel threatened by some 15-seat little restaurant.   

HOWEVER, if some PC starts throwing around real money (like hiring spies of their own, getting too much mouth for their own good) higher-ups should take notice.  Zanthas is set up as a very class-oriented society.  Someone who has enough sids to have "power"... that's a threat to Noble houses, GMH, and templarate.

Most clans need to crack-down on moonlighting.   OOCly it takes jobs away from other PCs   ICly it means your worker isn't giving 100% -- they may not be life-time work terms any more, but they're still 24/7 jobs when employed.
There's a huge side to this missing.

There are independent crafters who make their fortunes NOT selling to PCs, but rather, selling to the GMH NPC merchant in the GMH shops. This isn't the same as some rinky dink independent merchant selling a few rings to a guy at the bar. These people are making THOUSANDS of sids every RL week. In the meantime, employees of those houses don't get paid that in a month, *plus* the clan restrictions forbid them from selling to their own house.

Clans -definitely- need to crack down on moonlighting - if you are a crafter, eating my food, drinking my water, living in my barracks, with the protection of my hunters on escort, then you damned well not EVER be caught selling so much as a single strand of grass to ANYONE without my house making a profit off of it. Unfortunately, other PC leaders don't feel the same way...and because there's no uniformity, there are more exceptions to the rule than there are people abiding by the rule. And so the rule is pretty much unenforceable. Cause if you aren't willing to abide by my rules and I kick you out, who cares? You can still make more than I make being independent, or work for the other house, who will let you go sid mining any time you like (or pretend they don't notice because they don't want to bother trying to enforce the rule).

I can't tell you how many PCs who actually reject the notion of working for a Greater Merchant House, because they *gasp* aren't allowed to sell their silk clothing to the silk-merchant they work for, who already pays them with food, clothing, water, shelter, protection, salary, commission, and bonuses.

God forbid a merchant house be allowed to -act- like a merchant house, and you get half the game rejecting the idea of working for you. But they're all to happy to take the sids of your non-animated NPC merchant, because that merchant NPC doesn't know the difference to tell you to bugger off, that you've already made 10,000 sids off him this month, and he aint giving you another sid til you start buying shit.

You want GMHs to be "realistic," then you'll have no problem with the GMH merchant houses refusing to buy from independents who aren't buying from them.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

You want GMHs to be "realistic," then you'll have no problem with the GMH merchant houses refusing to buy from independents who aren't buying from them.

Here's an interesting idea I just thought of...

... make it, either now or for Arm2, that the great merchant houses (or Arm2 equivalents) refuse to trade their coins for items. Make this happen immediately (i.e., merchants always refuse such a trade) or eventually (after a certain number of coins has been traded to the seller in a session, which would ideally last a while [perhaps an IG day]).

No longer will you be able to walk into the GMH shop with your crafted spear or shirt, type 'offer spear' or 'offer shirt' and then get your coins, and walk out with a hefty sack.

Now you'll have to trade that spear or shirt in for something of similar value at that GMH shop, or go to some rinky dink weapon stall or clothing stall and sell it there for coins. Coins that that rinky dink weapons and clothing stalls don't have much of, so, you're not going to get as great deal on it. But them's the breaks.

I think it is this that would work to establish that feeling of there being what is essentially a monopoly that doesn't even have to compete with the supposedly much crappier alternative of independents, and then you would see more crafters seeking to join a GMH just like an ambitious high school senior IRL seeks a seat in a top university.

hmm...  you all are correct about GMH not wanting to buy...  but, there should always be NPCs willing to buy items.  Maybe give a few random NPC's money to perchase items (they don't do anything with the items persay, it's more for the economy effect)

Those NPCs in the market might be looking for tools, NPCs in the merchant areas might be looking for finer items, maybe an NPC beside a tenet building is even looking to pick up some fast food for dinner.

OH!   

Imms, how about allocating a few sids to house aides -- the aides can then go and perchase items from crafters.   ICly it would be like house workers going over to their co-worker (aide) and saying, "Here are some sids, can you pick something up for me when you're out?" 

It would promote role-play and interaction
It would give aides more to do than bar-sit
It would be a way to realistically oversee the sids flowing in the economy

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Cutthroat on December 18, 2008, 10:38:14 AM

... make it, either now or for Arm2, that the great merchant houses (or Arm2 equivalents) refuse to trade their coins for items. Make this happen immediately (i.e., merchants always refuse such a trade) or eventually (after a certain number of coins has been traded to the seller in a session, which would ideally last a while [perhaps an IG day]).

No longer will you be able to walk into the GMH shop with your crafted spear or shirt, type 'offer spear' or 'offer shirt' and then get your coins, and walk out with a hefty sack.

Now you'll have to trade that spear or shirt in for something of similar value at that GMH shop, or go to some rinky dink weapon stall or clothing stall and sell it there for coins. Coins that that rinky dink weapons and clothing stalls don't have much of, so, you're not going to get as great deal on it. But them's the breaks.

I think it is this that would work to establish that feeling of there being what is essentially a monopoly that doesn't even have to compete with the supposedly much crappier alternative of independents, and then you would see more crafters seeking to join a GMH just like an ambitious high school senior IRL seeks a seat in a top university.

This is a damned good idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Synthesis on December 18, 2008, 02:07:24 AM
There are places that will buy logs, poles, and planks down south.

There are places that will buy raw obsidian up north.

Make it happen.

I know where those places are, and it's not what he's asking for.
Lunch makes me happy.

December 18, 2008, 01:57:04 PM #18 Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:06:12 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Synthesis on December 18, 2008, 02:13:33 AM
[Yeah...which means commoners end up dying with 100,000 'sid in the bank, whereas nobles end up storing with 0.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Which highlights the fact that being that rich as a commoner is useless. The money accumulates because there's nothing to spend it on (except a descent into spice, whores and drink, and maybe a few assassinations although why your commoner would hate that many people I don't know), whereas nobles have plenty to spend it on.

Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Melody on December 18, 2008, 08:23:06 AM
Whereas I agree, to some extent, I do have clanned commoner characters who are /not/ merchants, couldn't craft for shit, and got tons of interactions, never step out of their respective city and make enough sids to have over five digits in the bank always despite my spending sprees. I always liked bribery and blackmail...

I think it is a matter that some people are not aware that some options and choices are available and can be done. :) It's nice to have a mentor ic. Get those lessons, both for ic growth and learning more about arm oocly through the experience.

I'm sorry to say it, but the female experience on Armgeddon is sometimes different than the male one. I know this having played characters of both genders.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on December 18, 2008, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on December 18, 2008, 02:13:33 AM
[Yeah...which means commoners end up dying with 100,000 'sid in the bank, whereas nobles end up storing with 0.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Which highlights the fact that being that rich as a commoner is useless. The money accumulates because there's nothing to spend it on (except a descent into spice, whores and drink, and maybe a few assassinations although why your commoner would hate that many people I don't know), whereas nobles have plenty to spend it on.

Precisely my point, dear Mr. Watson.  Precisely my point.

I think commoners tend to continue to amass money past the "enough to supply my needs" point simply because it's something to do. It's the same kind of hoarding behavior people exhibit in MMOs, and would exhibit in RL except that most of us don't even have the income to supply much more than basic needs--the real world is much much more full of extra things to buy than ARM is. And hoarding has the feeling of being a goal of some kind; most characters are in need of more goals.

Perhaps we just need a lot more stuff for commoners to spend money on.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

If PCs are making too much money:

Take on an apprentice

Make yourself into a victim (carry around sids for thiefs and muggers -- nothing that's out of the norm ICly, but OOCly you're carrying cash and give the appearance of being open to a role-play mugging)

Don't make so much money -- maybe there are other skills or other plots to become involved in instead of making and selling stuff

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Cutthroat on December 18, 2008, 10:38:14 AM

See, the thing is...the GMHs actually make profit off of all that "useless crap" that indie crafters sell at their shops.  They buy it for at most around 70% of what they end up selling it for, and that's only if there's a maxed haggler at either end of the deal.  If you're a subclass crafter without the haggle skill, you'll end up getting -maybe- a quarter of what they'll finally sell it for.  This was always reflected by VNPC purchases, but it's actually reflected by the code, now.

I bet if the Staff kept track of how much coin was vaporized out of GMH shops on reboots, it would -vastly- dwarf the sum that they reload with upon reboot.  The mathematics is pretty simple:  the downside is always limited to the amount the shop loads with upon reboots, but the upside potential is MASSIVE. 

Sure, the Salarr armor shop down south floods with crappy wooden shields every reboot, but they buy them for much, much less than they sell them for.  If they make a -single- wooden shield sale to a virtual purchaser, that's a no-haggle situation:  that shield they bought for 250, they just sold for 650.  They've got twice the cash, and furthermore, you can only sell them -1- more shield, because they're limited to 5.  So you can suck another 250 out, but that still leaves them with 400 'sid profit.  Who's the sucker now?

You can see this in certain other shops, as well:  some jerk will bum-rush the shop directly after reboot and sell a 1,000 'sid item for 200 coins (because the shop only loads with 200), and the shopkeeper will languish there for days with almost no cash.  But eventually, they get 800 'sid profit off that 1,000 'sid item.  All of a sudden the shop starts flooding with items PCs are selling to it, and the shop will make about the same % profit from every single one of them.  The more expensive crap you sell to the shop, the greater the chance they will end up selling that expensive crap for huge profit on their next virtual sale.  Eventually, they'll reach maximum volume on the insanely expensive items, again, to the point where you can drain money out, but you won't be able to kill their profit margin.

There are some shops where this system breaks down, I'll admit.  If there's a continuous high volume of PC sellers, and the shop buys numerous expensive-type items, you can reach a point where the shop is continuously depleted of cash. 

But this raises another interesting point:  people who are willing to haggle -downward- to get that last bit of cash, because they need to make a sale NOW.  All of a sudden, the shop is getting 500 'sid items for 100 'sid because nobody wants to wait around for the next reboot or virtual sale.  Since those -items- should be included in the total capital of the shop upon reboot, it's possible that they have increased their total capital by massive amounts, due to the large volume of extremely valuable items in their stockpile that they ended up paying a pittance for.

The bottom line is:  the GMHs and NPC shops are most certainly not getting the short end of the stick on buying PC-crafted items.

As previously stated, there is absolutely no reason why a good merchant wouldn't capitalize on your desire to sell them individual products on the cheap.

It is actually very similar to the putting-out system, or the domestic system, that was in popularity in medieval Europe.  Under that system, a merchant would typically provide someone (say, a widow) with raw materials.  Later the woman would come back to the merchant, and be paid extremely substandard prices for the finished product.  Which the merchant would then turn around and sell at a hefty profit.  This was particularly practiced in the manufacture of cloth goods, before factories.

So if you think about out, our merchants are further shafting you by not even providing you with the raw materials.  Welcome to Zalanthas!

On the initial topic of wanting to see a slight increase of coins made from independent jobs... there are probably a surplus of indie jobs out there that pay extremely well if someone is willing to risk a bit of danger, and sometimes not even that.  I have consistently made much less with my clan characters than with my indie characters, ever, so I really don't feel this to be necessary.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen