Couple of oddities

Started by Good Gortok, December 12, 2008, 06:52:58 PM

I've noticed two things lately that seem out of order:

You no longer get the "withdraws from your mind" echo when somebody does so.

The 'shadow' mechanic appears to be broken and takes you out of hiding immediately.

Are they bugs or just changes? Well, I assume the latter must be a bug unless there as a change to how it's used.

Quote from: Good Gortok on December 12, 2008, 06:52:58 PM

I've definitely noticed this.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I keep getting contacted by a mind, but they aren't saying anything, they keep contacting me over and over and over.  I think the way is busted.

JaRoD

You also no longer get the "You withdraw from their mind" message. Just a simple Ok. A message similar to typing 'cease' while not in contact with someone.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on December 12, 2008, 08:07:48 PM
You also no longer get the "You withdraw from their mind" message. Just a simple Ok. A message similar to typing 'cease' while not in contact with someone.

If you type:

>cease contact
You dissolve the psychic link.

but...

>cease
Ok.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This isn't the way it used to be, even a week ago, though.

Somethin's changed.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

It's all in your mind.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I noticed the cease thing too.

I definately hit someone with the same message twice because after trying to cease and just getting 'ok' I thought I didn't actually send a message in the first place. It's definately brokedededdedddddd-d-d-ddd-d. Intentional change?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I noticed that it doesn't tell me I withdraw from their mind if I just type "cease", but I can still contact people, psi them, and break contact with no trouble at all.

All that's changed near as I can tell is that I get an echo that says "ok" rather than an echo that says "You withdraw from their mind." when I break contact.

I don't know if that qualifies as broken but ...
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I definitely noticed it, and I don't like it. It needs to be fixed.

An odd thing happened once today though, I logged out while someone was in my PC's mind and when I did the quit command it did the normal cease message though I wasn't getting those messages any other time today.

I have completely stopped getting the "withdrawn from your mind" and the "you dissolve the contact" messages.  I only get "ok" when I cease.

Well the cease help file sort of explains..though yeah having "You cease any psionic activity from your end" would be better than "OK."

This command will end a sustained psionic activity.  If used without an
optional ability this will end all sustained psionic activity, including
mental shields (barriers) and contact with another character's mind.

Syntax:
   cease [ability]

Example:
   > cease
   > cease contact
   > cease barrier

If you aren't using the Way and hit "cease" then OK is a good way of letting you know, that you didn't have anything that needed to be ceased. On the other hand, "OK" is also a good way of letting you know, that anything that -did- need to be ceased, has just been ceased.

So I'm sort of ambivalent on the subject. It doesn't bother me to have "OK."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It bothers me that I don't know when they left my mind.

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on December 14, 2008, 11:36:09 AM
It bothers me that I don't know when they left my mind.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Good Gortok on December 12, 2008, 06:52:58 PM
I've noticed two things lately that seem out of order:

The 'shadow' mechanic appears to be broken and takes you out of hiding immediately.

Are they bugs or just changes? Well, I assume the latter must be a bug unless there as a change to how it's used.

I've had shadow seem to do this to me about 4 out of 5 times on a fairly old PC with (likely) maxed skills in areas relevant to that mechanic. I can't really be sure if it's broken or not because the only way you can really tell if it is is if the person you're shadowing decides to respond to you, which they can choose not to do for various reasons.

The cease message problems seemed to have ceased (hyuk hyuk) as of this morning, though.

I've noticed during guard practice that sometimes, even while guarding someone, there is no prompt when the person being guarded is attacked.

Like usually if you guard someone and that person gets attacked, you automatically attempt to protect them. Lately, though, I've seen certain characters who don't have that happen, as well as not showing a prompt for trying to rescue someone.

I've noticed that same issue with guard.  Also, the 'cease' echo still seems to be broken.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on December 17, 2008, 01:31:38 AMAlso, the 'cease' echo still seems to be broken.

It is weird, the cease thing has been broken the whole time, but I've gotten the "You feel a foreign presence withdrawing from your mind." like two or three times since it's been broken. Fix it please! I want it back!

Quote from: Winterless on December 17, 2008, 01:37:04 AM
Quote from: Ourla on December 17, 2008, 01:31:38 AMAlso, the 'cease' echo still seems to be broken.

It is weird, the cease thing has been broken the whole time, but I've gotten the "You feel a foreign presence withdrawing from your mind." like two or three times since it's been broken. Fix it please! I want it back!

Maybe you get that echo when the person types 'cease barrier'

And you don't get the echo when the person types 'cease'.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on December 17, 2008, 01:48:40 AM
Quote from: Winterless on December 17, 2008, 01:37:04 AM

Maybe you get that echo when the person types 'cease barrier'

And you don't get the echo when the person types 'cease'.

Typeing cease contact is pointless. Why did it change? Was there a REASON? IMMS! Morgenes! WHY?!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on December 17, 2008, 01:52:51 AM
Typeing cease contact is pointless. Why did it change? Was there a REASON? IMMS! Morgenes! WHY?!

It's obviously a bug, and will be fixed tomorrow morning.

If it gives the correct echo when you type, >cease contact, and it doesn't give the correct echo when you type, >cease
You can assume that "cease contact" is still working, and "cease" isn't.

Quote from: OhSohologramic on December 16, 2008, 04:28:05 PM
I've noticed during guard practice that sometimes, even while guarding someone, there is no prompt when the person being guarded is attacked.

Like usually if you guard someone and that person gets attacked, you automatically attempt to protect them. Lately, though, I've seen certain characters who don't have that happen, as well as not showing a prompt for trying to rescue someone.

Yea, I've noticed this too.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day