Modifying the Guild / Race description screen.

Started by mansa, November 19, 2008, 12:48:59 AM

Hi.

I think this might make the game a little more interesting for new players.  Just a tiny bit.  It'll make the game seem like it is not a STOCK MUD

Races:
* - Restricted to Karma

Select a race:
a) Human                b) Elf                  c) Dwarf               
d) Halfling*            e) Half-elf             f) Mul*                 
g) Half-giant*          h) *******              i) ****                 
j) ******               k) *******              l) Desert-Elf           

Guilds:
* - Restricted to Karma

a) Sorcerer*            b) Burglar              c) Pick-pocket         
d) Warrior              e) *******              f) Ranger               
g) Merchant             h) Assassin             i) Fire Elementalist*   
j) Water Elementalist*  k) Stone Elementalist*  l) Wind Elementalist*
m) Psionicist*          n) Shadow Elementalist* o) Lightning Elementalist*
p) Void Elementalist*

Perhaps, even, to remove the *****'d options.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Sounds good, but it ought to be quite clear which options can and can't be selected.  Probably need one discriminator, not two ("not starred and not censored").
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I thought those other blank spaces were for things that are never granted via karma but still doable in game with special apps (mantis, templar, ect)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I dont understand. What will that achieve? Just to entice those without karma that there 'are' roles out there they havent tried, but need Karma for ?

Quote from: Dar on November 19, 2008, 12:52:11 PM
I dont understand. What will that achieve? Just to entice those without karma that there 'are' roles out there they havent tried, but need Karma for ?

Exactly.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I don't know about this.

The only reason I am hesitant is that half of the roles I have played, no one should know about, or even have an idea about existing.

Is that the purpose of the ***** censor?

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Shrug. doesnt seem like worth the time one needs to spend to change the code. Even if it's 10 minutes :) Sorry

I don't really think that new players are likely to judge how interesting a game is solely on the choices in character creation.  If they are completely new to MUDs the whole thing is new anyway. If they are not new to MUDs they will have likely read at least some of the documentation and know there are all kinds of other non-stock races.

And, personally, I like that moment of excitement during character creation when a new option appears for the first time, when I see q) stone templar pilot. I like that moment of crazy thrill when my room mates overhear me yelling, "YAY! I can play a stone templar pilot now!"
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

I infact picked this game because I didn't see a List of creatures like:
A. Cherthuhula
B. Pigmymightus
C. Charazardsquirtle
D. Wood Elf
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on November 19, 2008, 04:35:35 PM
I infact picked this game because I didn't see a List of creatures like:
A. Cherthuhula
B. Pigmymightus
C. Charazardsquirtle
D. Wood Elf

Same with me.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: Medena on November 19, 2008, 04:00:57 PM
I don't really think that new players are likely to judge how interesting a game is solely on the choices in character creation.

I disagree with this statement completely. I actually played a MUD for a long time where the main appeal of the MUD to me was the character generation. I don't know if we're allowed to mention other muds names on the GDB, but in this particular MUD, the stats and skills aren't random, but you don't pick them either. Instead, at character creation, you only choose your race, then you go into a short series of stories similar to this:

QuoteAt age 5, on a sunny spring day, you and your older brother are asked by your parents to go down by the river and gather some berries. When you get there, while collecting the berries, you're fooling around and knock your brother into the river. Your brother can't swim well, and neither can you. The current is strong and you don't have much time to make a decision. Do you:

a. Jump in after him.
b. Try to find a stick or something for him to grab onto.
c. Run back to get help.
d. Go home and tell your parents you two got seperated, and you couldn't find your brother.

There were questions like these starting from ages 5-8 and going up to about 18-21. So basically, your skills and stats were determined by how your character lived his life, and what kind of decisions you made growing up. I thought this was a fantastic way of creating characters, and it kept me playing a game that while mechanically sound, didn't have the greatest playerbase.

I've actually considered talking to someone in developement of arm 2.0 about the possibility of sharing code with that particular mud, since it's fairly small, but I don't know who to talk to.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

I say, use the request tool, or ask the staff forum.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

If it has a help file, I don't see why it should be hidden.

Of course you loose that thrill of logging in and seeing a new option spelled out before you for the first time.

My opinion is split.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

You could always have the * be removed when you can pick it.

...But, I'm thinking of new players, rather than existing players for this change.

I am a completely new character. I don't need ***** to bring up my hopes for the future, the second leave the rest room in the tavern I see a half giant, someone with a gem, and a mul being ridiculed in the corner.

That is enough to bring up my increased hopes for the future.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Quote from: AJM on November 19, 2008, 11:34:18 PM
I am a completely new character. I don't need ***** to bring up my hopes for the future, the second leave the rest room in the tavern I see a half giant, someone with a gem, and a mul being ridiculed in the corner.

That is enough to bring up my increased hopes for the future.

Huh? Uh...yeah....what he said.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.