Action Points!

Started by jmordetsky, November 14, 2008, 01:05:55 AM

Anyone played Fallout 3? Instead of having stuff like Bash, Kick, Stand, Throw, and Shoot drain stam - why not introduce some ACTION POINTS like in fall out 3?

In F3, it's pure FPS unless you trigger (in xbox360) this weird matrix aiming thing which lets put special targetted attacks on peeps. It is basically good for walking up and shot gunning someone face off (YAR!). Anyway - the cool thing is this is limited by your AP meter - action points.

So - we have mana- why not introduce some action points or something like "Will" for warriors and the rest.

Im awesome.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Then what?  Limit Breaks?

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not.  Overall, I don't believe action points fits the atmosphere of Armageddon.

Quote from: Sephiroto on November 14, 2008, 01:08:17 AM

Im for it...ONLY if Warriors get Omnislash!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not.  Overall, I don't believe action points fits the atmosphere of Armageddon.

I don't know what a limit break is. But yea - maybe it doesn't fit the atmosphere. Skill points maybe? Or will points? Stam + stun drain on some skills just seems forced.

www.j03m.com

November 14, 2008, 01:24:06 AM #4 Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:35:45 AM by fourTwenty

Oh damn it, what was that big ass blue column that shot out of the gunblade all the way into space before he hammered them with it that Squall used in FF8(best FF ever, STFU)?
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Limit breaks. Hahaha.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If we get limit breaks we need magicite too. Magicite that teaches motherfuckin' magick. (FF6 is best FF, no u stfu)

As for the op... meh.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

FF7 is the wyn. You bichs lose.

There can be only one.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Oooo. Fathi, you may be right there. I REALLY liked Tactics. It was, in fact, the only game I have ever beaten. Ever.

Thunder God Cid died. I gave his sword to Agrias. She became Thunder God Agrias.

Tactics is the reason I'm gonna be buying Valkyria Chronicles.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Isn't moves like "Bash", "Disarm", "Kick", already considered "action points" ?
...In that they take movement points to perform?

I don't think this would be as awesome as you think it will be, Joe.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think the way the current system works Stam = Action points.

What can you do with it?  You can use it to move (much like you described action points)
You can use it run (flee) also moving, but getting away from a fight (uses skill flee)
You can use it to kick/bash/disarm/whatever else.  Also like you described action points.

Umm. So how is Stamina different?

Quote from: UnderSeven on November 14, 2008, 10:49:52 AMUmm. So how is Stamina different?

Stamina doesn't refresh constantly ;)

Not that it should. I think Stam is very much a measure of action points. This whole thread is a reaction to a SuperCool new game.
Ahh, how easily we're swayed by those gamer merchants.

I swear....I tried to haggle for my x-box 360.....but the guy at the game crazy angrily insisted...
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 14, 2008, 01:24:06 AM

Oh damn it, what was that big ass blue column that shot out of the gunblade all the way into space before he hammered them with it that Squall used in FF8(best FF ever, STFU)?

Lionheart. (I think)

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 14, 2008, 12:42:29 PM

Lionheart. (I think)

It was Blasting Zone (I had to look it up) Lion Heart was his very best Limit Break and was insanely hard to get IIRC.
I dug this out with the intent on playing it again for old times sake. I'm missing the 4th disc. >:(
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 14, 2008, 12:47:15 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 14, 2008, 12:42:29 PM

Lionheart. (I think)

It was Blasting Zone (I had to look it up) Lion Heart was his very best Limit Break and was insanely hard to get IIRC.
I dug this out with the intent on playing it again for old times sake. I'm missing the 4th disc. >:(

It's all good, I'm on the fourth disk with only five or six of the multitudes of guardian forces available, and no way to re-start because of a scratched first disk. :[

Nobody told me I could draw guardian forces from certain enemies. >~<

Quote from: jmordetsky on November 14, 2008, 01:05:55 AM
In F3, it's pure FPS unless you trigger (in xbox360) this weird matrix aiming thing which lets put special targetted attacks on peeps. It is basically good for walking up and shot gunning someone face off (YAR!). Anyway - the cool thing is this is limited by your AP meter - action points.
EXCUSE ME! That is the Vault Assisted Targetting System you're talking about... Show some respect for Vaultec or I'll end you.

I'm awesome.

I actually think that creating a separate set of 'Focus points' upon which physical/perception skills relied might work better than simply tying those skills to move (kick) or stun (scan, listen). I shouldn't be easier to knock out just because I'm paying attention to my surroundings, and I don't see how trying to disarm my opponent or fire a bow would be any more tiring than straight-up hack-and-slash, but I do think there needs to be some sort of limited resource they draw from in order to balance them. It's probably too late in 2.Arm's development cycle for such a radical change, but it's what I would support most.

Focus could be based on Wisdom (finally giving physical classes a reason to pick high Wis), would deplete slowly while you were in-combat, and using physical skills which required concentration or expertise would consume amounts of it. If you run out of Focus, you would receive a mild penalty to combat and certain other skills to reflect being frazzled/losing concentration; other classes might be less concerned with Focus (single-classed mages, in particular), but maybe could still target that resource if they wanted to get tactical (poisons like skellebaine, or confusion/distraction spells, could lay down a big Focus hit.) Focus could be buffed/refilled by all sorts of things–rest, meditation, spice, magic, racial abilities, studying texts, praying to your Highlord, etc. Finally, Focus cost on abilities could be tied directly to your level of skill in those abilities–if you're a master at disarming, it would come so natural to you that it would only consume very small amounts of your attention.

Your no-Wis half-giant recruit would have next to no Focus, and if he tried to do anything complicated, or stayed in combat too long, he would start to take penalties for losing his concentration. Your medium-Wis dwarf Bynner would have a moderate amount of Focus that he'd have to spend wisely, but if he was very skilled he would at least not deplete it too fast; he could burn it on bashes and disarms to overpower an opponent, or conserve it to outlast one. Your high-Wis military commander would have craploads of Focus, and because he'd been sparring and training with his unit for eight years, he could use a lot of Focus-heavy finesse maneuvers without losing his cool. Some class combinations would favour using and consuming a lot of Focus, while others would prefer the brute force approach. I think it'd be cool, at least.

I am in complete and total support of Jstorrie's idea.

Rock solid.

Quote from: a strange shadow on November 14, 2008, 02:19:14 PM

Rock solid.

Seconded.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Penalizing skills for the number of skills being maintained seems like a better idea than 'focus points'. It is much simpler, and gives the same result as J's idea.

Quote from: a strange shadow on November 14, 2008, 02:19:14 PM

Rock solid.

Yar! I bet there would have been less laughing if I titled the thread Focus points instead of Action Jackson Points.

www.j03m.com

Are you drunk again, Joe?

Asking the staff to make a special "mansa" points that work better than "mana" ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This is the dumbest thread I've seen in CODE DISCUSSION in many years. Thanks guys!
"The perfect police state has no police." - William S. Burroughs