Hefty appetites and eating faster

Started by Medena, November 12, 2008, 04:21:20 PM

It has been proposed a million times that there should be an option to be able to gulp down a whole bowl of stew in one go instead of having to take six dainty spoonfuls.  I'm going to bring it up again for the discussion of you code-minded people and allow you to propose the actual mechanics of how this might work since code workings elude me. :)

I think something like this is really badly needed now with the new code which makes big people have big appetites.  Just think how much eating it is going to take to fill up a big strapping human Bynner. Or how about a hungry half-giant?  And, especially for the HG, I think these folks would take substantially larger bites than smaller people.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

November 12, 2008, 04:37:28 PM #1 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:43:46 PM by helix
Actually, if I understand Morg's post correctly...

The code making appetites larger based on size was already in-game. The bug was actually in the messaging system, which had a 'one-size fits all' kind of method to it.

Before, a larger person was likely passing the point of hunger before the hunger messages got to them, causing them to have to eat a LOT to fill up. Now that the messages are adjusted, larger people will probably eat more often, but it will not result in a net increase of amount of food consumed.

At least, that's my understanding.

edit: Err, since I didn't actually ADD anything to the OP's discussion:

I think the easiest way to combat this would be to have a conditional statement at the end of the eat/drink command.

eat steak all/half/quarter
drink gourd all/half/quarter

Not supplying the argument is the same as it is now.

This could occur, codedly, by looping the eat command to the requested amount (all/half/quarter) and then not printing messages to the console for anything past the first iteration. Not knowing anything about Arm's code structure, this would probably allow the coders to use existing functions, just making the change to the command execution itself.

The amount of food consumed per 'eat' command is not dependent on size, this is something I'll look at.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: helix on November 12, 2008, 04:37:28 PM
eat steak all/half/quarter
drink gourd all/half/quarter

> contact amos
You contact the tall, muscular man using the Way.
> psi Sarge? I accidentally the cistern.
You send a telepathic message to the tall, muscular man:
  "Sarge? I accidentally the cistern."
A foreign presence contacts your mind.
The tall, muscular man sends you a telepathic message:
  "Not the whole thing??"
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I think one of the earlier ideas was "consume."

>eat cake
You take a bite of your travel cake.

>eat cake
You eat your partially eaten travel cake.

IF you plan to eat the whole thing, it could instead be:

>consume cake
You eat all of your travel cake.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I like the idea of passing arguments to the eat command both because it cuts down on the number of different commands to remember (or discover) and helps us get ready for 2.arm, a la conditionals.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Or just have "eat" consume more of the food depending on the race / size.  No need for new commands.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on November 12, 2008, 06:16:46 PM
Or just have "eat" consume more of the food depending on the race / size and hunger of the eater.  No need for new commands.

If you're hungry, you're taking big bites.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 12, 2008, 06:24:33 PM
Quote from: mansa on November 12, 2008, 06:16:46 PM
Or just have "eat" consume more of the food depending on the race / size and hunger of the eater.  No need for new commands.

If you're hungry, you're taking big bites.

Very Nice.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I desperately want this.  Especially for when I'm eating certain foods that take five bites and I have three of them.... that's alot of spam mom.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life