A List of Mutations

Started by Briarfox, November 04, 2008, 10:48:55 PM

One thing I've always enjoyed coming up with during character creation is mutations, both internal and external and major and minor. So here is a short list of some ideas I have come up with or seen through the years.

Hopefully this may assist both new and old players alike.

- twisted or extra extremities (legs, arms, digits), genitals, mammaries, etc.
- extra facial features such as third eye
- clawed/taloned fingers/toes
- pointed ears for humanoids of non-elven descent
- animalistic ears such as triangular like a cat, bat, or small rounded and scaled like some lizard, etc.
- skin additions such as hairlessness, extremely hairy (even on unlikely areas to possess hair such as tongue, bridge of nose, or behind the knees), chitinous plates, scales, furred patched, bristles, quills, feathers, stony chips, excessive blisters, boils, infected and scabrous lesions, warts or other prominent fatty tissue growths, etc.
- skin colors such as opalescent, unnatural shades or paleness, color-changing like a lizard, glitter-dusted black, transparent with prominent veins, albino, mottled in different shades, glow-in-the-dark, etc.
- gills
- teeth differences such as pointed teeth, long, sharp canines, serpentine fangs, tusks, two or more rows of teeth on the bottom, top or both, mandible-like jawbones, or jawbones that bifurcate and have joints that allow exceptional widening of the mouth, etc.
- eye difference such as reptilian with a slit, feline with a slit, no whites, no pupils, odd-colored pupils, star-shaped pupils, color-shifting irises, odd-eyed (differing colors), glowing, crazy-eyed (not appearing to align with their focal point), bioluminescent, unnatural colors, eyelids that blink sideways, lack of eyelids, a thin, transparent film existing over the eyes, etc.
- horns, spines, spikes, bony nodules
- forked tongue
- webbed fingers and toes
- wings
- hooved/pawed feet or hands
- attenae or other insectoid features
- tails or tentacles
- hair in unnatural colors, color-shifting, emotive in that it moves like spines/quills, etc.
- disproportionate build, features (like an oblong head from the new Indiana movie for example), organs in a freakish manner or taller/shorter then typically allowed race-wise
- nose difference such as felted like an animals, pitted snout like a pig, or slit like a serpent, etc.
- multi-gendered
- whiskers or whisker-like protrusions
- avian skeletal structure, i.e. reversed hip, knee and ankle joints
- biological compartments like a marsupial pouch
- absence of certain features, organs or extremities, such as a complete lack of neck resulted from a congenitally deficient spine

What others can you think of?
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

turning into a cat.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Didn't mention extra tits, everyone loves a five tittied zalanthian hooker.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: FightClubDidn't mention extra tits, everyone loves a five tittied zalanthian hooker.

Quote from: Briarfox- twisted or extra extremities (legs, arms, digits), genitals, mammaries, etc.

Did too!
Briar

Just remember that requests for coded advantages for mutations are (as far as I know) never granted.

Some idea missing from that list:
-excessive or diminished generation/excretion of bodily fluids (spittle, sweat, mucus, earwax, or maybe even blood)
-emitting unusual odors or unusual quantities of body odors
-physical sensitivity to light or touch
-neurological mutations (seizures, twitching)
-lack of a sense (no sense of smell or taste perhaps)
-altered sense (sensitivity to sound, unusual sense of taste, experiencing pain as pleasure and/or perhaps vice versa)
-psychological mutations (pick a real mental disease, a dramatically exaggerated mental disease, or invent your own)

November 04, 2008, 11:09:33 PM #5 Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:12:36 PM by Briarfox
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 04, 2008, 11:02:48 PM
Just remember that requests for coded advantages for mutations are (as far as I know) never granted.

Not so. I've seen it done before. They can be special apped. Look here: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,14189.msg145511.html#msg145511
Briar

*shrug*

I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a coded benefit for a mutation.

- bumps or growth in the skeletal structure that could range from merely affecting the surface of the skin to altering posture and movement
- muscle disorder that causes varying degrees of spasming until the afflicted locks up completely

I have to wonder how audible mutations might turn out. 

- consistent popping of the joints
- abnormal breathing, either wheezing or producing a consistent tone during exertion

I don't know how far you can take changes in scent, though.  Maybe someone can give off a scent like ash when excited, but that is a fairly good bit of work to keep up.  It might be able to simply change the nature of the body odor.

Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Manhattan on July 08, 2005, 08:52:18 PM
a bad example:
a pair of  fighting claws that creep out of your knuckles at will

Quote from: Tlaloc on July 08, 2005, 09:56:52 PM
functional poison fangs

What are the chances the special app I'm about to send in including one or both of these will be approved?
Even if it's a really good writeup?
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 04, 2008, 11:22:37 PM
What are the chances the special app I'm about to send in including one or both of these will be approved?

Dude, it would probably be better if you reposted that in the thread that was linked.  We aren't really discussing the staff view on mutations here.

On another note :

- permanently fixed limbs or appendages
- extreme deformation of the body structure corresponding to missing or extra organs (like a chest that caves in at an angle due coupled with a missing lung)
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on November 04, 2008, 11:35:16 PM
Quote from: fourTwenty on November 04, 2008, 11:22:37 PM

Dude, it would probably be better if you reposted that in the thread that was linked.  We aren't really discussing the staff view on mutations here.

Dude, it was a joke. Chill out. Shall I Email you a hit?

And hair on a dwarf would be an interesting mutation. If allowed. I like to see that played out among the dwarven community.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

November 04, 2008, 11:44:08 PM #11 Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:01:11 AM by axismundi
Mentally errant conditions like dyslexia, synaesthesia and dysphasia might be considered mutations.

Also, a mutated musculature that behaves in such a way that is not normal for humans, and may result in abnormal posture, movement and may cause ease or difficulty, strength or weakness in performing certain actions.

(Edited to remove an unintended redundancy.)
"He who tip-toes cannot stand; he who strides cannot walk." -- Jean de la Bruyere

- skin mottled like a kiyet:
His swart leathery complexion is heavily dappled in silvery spots, ranging in size from as small as a bead to as wide as a half-giant's palm.

The smooth, sharp-angled face of this wispy-framed woman appears tawny yellow in hue and thoroughly mottled in tiny brownish-grey spots.

A series of nut-brown spots ranging from the size of a hawk's eye to that of a half-giant's palm mottle the rough, wind-beaten flesh of this elven female.

This willowy man's fair-toned complexion has been sun-browned and bears a natural, slightly darker blemishing in the form of spots that range in size from a kalan seed to a giant's hand.
Briar

Mermaid syndrome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAOhSUQomVg

Mutant Museum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abcsZZ9Duxw
(the one with four Peni was pretty cool)

Mutant organs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InyMwdrDd_k
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I've seen full on wings.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: FightClub on November 04, 2008, 10:56:15 PM
Didn't mention extra tits, everyone loves a five tittied zalanthian hooker.

this reminds me "Total Recall" (1990) of Schwarzenegger.. Good idea.

Quote from: axismundi on November 04, 2008, 11:44:08 PM
Mentally errant conditions like dyslexia, synaesthesia and dysphasia might be considered mutations.

I'm not sure that dyslexia would be very playable in most commoners, since it generally manifests itself with written numbers and letters. :-P

You could always get your nobles backward.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Turning into turtles with AI agility.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I have seen fucked up angel wings that weren't useable.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Jingo on November 05, 2008, 03:18:48 PM
Turning into turtles with AI agility.

Better: A wererat with AI agility AND AI wisdom.  And a cool kimono to boot, too.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.