Changes in the Barrier Skill

Started by Sephiroto, October 20, 2008, 11:57:00 PM

Have we been notified about this?  Why was there a change?

As far as I can tell, barrier is the same for me.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

What change?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

That barrier no longer stays erect during combat.  That's a serious performance issue.

Quote from: Sephiroto on October 21, 2008, 01:44:28 AM
That barrier no longer stays erect during combat.  That's a serious performance issue.

Heh. Heh heh. Heh heh heh.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Agent_137 on October 21, 2008, 02:55:03 AM
that's a pretty big change, if that's the case.
I agree. It's a pretty drastic change, at that. I could understand making it harder for less experienced barrier-users to keep it up in combat but I think folks who've had an equal exposure and use of combat and barrier-use should be able to hold it. Maybe have it sap'ing stun quicker, because of the effort to keep it up.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

October 21, 2008, 08:54:09 AM #7 Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:26:33 AM by brytta.leofa
Contact doesn't stay ere--  dangit, contacted during combat, either.  Dunno if that's a change or not.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on October 21, 2008, 08:54:09 AM
Contact doesn't stay ere--  dangit, contacted during combat, either.  Dunnno if that's a change or not.

Pretty sure it's always been like that.

At least as long as I have been playing.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I'm informed that this was a bug fix.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Nyr is correct. Contact has always broken during combat; barrier was merely conformed to the existing standard. The use of psionics is a complex task requiring more focus than your average person can give under the kind of duress that combat represents.
Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude

I don't know that I agree with that kind of change though, for certain reasons I won't go into on the GDB.

It makes certain situations much, much more perilous, and shafts certain types of characters even further on the ultimate power scale.

Shadow is right.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Agree with shadow and 7DV. Bugfix or not, there's balance to be considered.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

October 21, 2008, 01:00:06 PM #14 Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:37:03 PM by Sephiroto
If I'm not mistaken, Barrier is a passive skill, not active.  The maximum reduction in stun plus the ticking damage to stun should be enough, but my matter of opinion sometimes differs with the coders.

The bad thing about this is that the recent change opens doors for whole new levels of badness for certain characters to take advantage of others who before would have been able to protect themselves. 

Finally, if this is a bug fix why didn't anyone announce it officially like they do when they alter other skills?  Has the staff been altering my skills or stats or even taking my karma and giving it back without telling me about it too?  What happened to protocol?

Oops...we had an unscheduled maintenance period yesterday that pushed the change to live before we announced it.

Yes we did intend this change to happen, and yes it is working as intended.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Rather than being always dropped in combat, barrier loss could be an outcome of, for instance:
- reel
- being successfully bashed/charged
- an attacker landing a hard blow

Seems plausible that grey-bearded, veteran-of-five-wars Lieutenant Farrel could hold a barrier while laconically fending off a left-handed youngster with a dull stick.  ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

1. Due to a minor error, the bugfix went in a bit earlier than we thought. Those responsible have been sacked.

2. Because the bugfix went in early, the people who normally create the announcements didn't know about it. We sacked the announcers as well.

3. Play balance is the reason that contact and barrier break on combat. Those responsible for the bug that allowed barrier to remain active during combat have been sacked.

4. Barrier is not a passive skill. It does way too many things on way too many levels for it to be a passive skill. Those responsible for spreading the myth that barrier is a passive skill have been sacked.

5. The producers of the Armageddon game wish it to be known that they have been sacked, and Armageddon 2.0 will now be coded by a team of 40 Mexican Llamas with degrees in Computer Science. Just today, they showcased combat, which consists mostly of a command "spit cud."

Thank you.
Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude

Thanks.

Does this also mean that all other psionic abilities can not be used while in combat?  If barrier drops in combat then I believe the answer to that should be "yes."

Quote5. The producers of the Armageddon game wish it to be known that they have been sacked, and Armageddon 2.0 will now be coded by a team of 40 Mexican Llamas with degrees in Computer Science. Just today, they showcased combat, which consists mostly of a command "spit cud."

Lol. It's a bug fix. It has already been decided on and regulated by the staff.

Just roll with the changes. It's like any other game change that happens.

Correction: it's like any potentially threatening change that happens. There's always over-reaction or complaint.
* Naja Salaheem: Forever! Always! Until death! You mercenaries are my pawns.

I think it adds a more balance to the game. Thank you.

Now those little pesky merchants can't way all their friends while I am waylaying them.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on October 21, 2008, 02:44:51 PM
I think it adds a more balance to the game. Thank you.

Now those little pesky merchants can't way all their friends while I am waylaying them.

That was already in game. You have misunderstood the nature of the bugfix.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Whoops.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

October 21, 2008, 05:17:54 PM #23 Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:19:54 PM by Clearsighted
Quote from: a strange shadow on October 21, 2008, 12:41:18 PM
I don't know that I agree with that kind of change though, for certain reasons I won't go into on the GDB.

It makes certain situations much, much more perilous, and shafts certain types of characters even further on the ultimate power scale.

I completely agree. Not that it's going to change anything.

October 21, 2008, 06:11:26 PM #24 Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:17:07 PM by Mood
Thanks for giving [class] an even larger advantage than they already had. I'm not much bothered by it, being that its one of my favorite classes.  ;D
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.