Weather Question

Started by jcljules, October 13, 2008, 09:46:53 AM

It is a cold day.

So how cold -is- it, compared to earth standards? I wasn't aware Zalanthas was ever cold during the daytime. Thoughts?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

If you use the search function, there's a number of posts about this. For myself, I consider it like an autumn/spring kind of cold. Crisp, but not enough that you need a winter jacket.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Deserts can actually get quite freezing after the sun goes down.

That said, if it's a cold day, I also picture it to be relatively cold.  Kind of brisk, but not actually really cold.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I imagine a cold day in Zalanthas to be like a cold day in California, in one of the central valleys or high deserts. If it is night time and cold -- It could actually be fucking freezing cold. If its daytime -- I imagine it'd be comfortable to wear a t-shirt and some jeans and not be fazed. So basically, probably not cold enough during the day to make you adjust what you wear. Probably enough to make you go "Hmm, kinda cold today. Weird."

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

If it has been 115 out in the daytime, it will feel cold even if it is only 70ish at night...
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I wouldn't compare it to earth standards, because Zalanthans aren't Earthlings. Their metabolism isn't even remotely similar - whereas the average person will suffer horribly on earth if they don't consume water-based liquids within 4 RL days in a climate similar to northern Arizona...the average Zalanthan can live in a desert world and not thirst for a game week of 11 days. And even then, a single gulp or two of water will be sufficient to quench their thirst for the next week.

The average human doesn't stay awake, active, for more than a couple of days before his mind and body start to feel the effects. That's if they are -not- in combat regularly for most of their adult lives, which the average human won't experience. The average Zalanthan runs around sparring and hunting and avoiding being killed by templars and living in extreme climates and sandstorms and huge house-sized monsters with no indoor plumbing or running water, or even sponges, and can live to a ripe old age in those circumstances. If the average earthling had to do that, the average earthling would -probably- not live past 20.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Also, most humans can't carry a conversation for a week. I think you're taking the code a bit too literally.

Here in Burkina Faso, just south of the Sahara people die of hypothermia in their winter season when temperatures can get down to 14 degrees Celsius.  That's a perfect temperature for most of us in North America, but when they're geared to handle the 40 to 55 degree weather in the summer months, 14 is effing freezing.

Quote from: roughneck on October 15, 2008, 06:20:40 AM
Here in Burkina Faso, just south of the Sahara people die of hypothermia in their winter season when temperatures can get down to 14 degrees Celsius.  That's a perfect temperature for most of us in North America, but when they're geared to handle the 40 to 55 degree weather in the summer months, 14 is effing freezing.

Are you serious? People die when its 50F there?
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Yea man, the winter coats on when it's 20 degrees Celsius.  Below that is dangerous, especially for the old, really young or sick.

It's not like they have much to protect them either, the average person sleeps on a straw mat on the dirt.

The average life expectancy is 47 - I know it's cliche-like but be happy you weren't born here.  I sure am.

Woah, you're from Burkina Faso?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on October 15, 2008, 05:01:47 PM

Woah, you're from Burkina Faso?

Naw, I'm just living here right now.  I'm a driller, I'm with a missionary agency that has a rig here doing water wells.

so your GDB handle doesn't necessarily describe the actual state of your neck. cool.

Quote from: Agent_137 on October 16, 2008, 10:16:51 PM
so your GDB handle doesn't necessarily describe the actual state of your neck. cool.

I went with roughneck because I got into drilling in Western Canada's oil field, floorhands are called roughnecks in the field.  But I guess it doesn't matter anyways, what's in a name.