Slight modification to GDB

Started by Incognito, August 22, 2008, 04:34:56 AM

A decent percentage of GDB posts are those that have no subject matter of readable value, but, are just related to other posts in the particular thread.

For example:

1) Thanks (Someone posting a "thank you" to another poster)
2) Agreements (Someone showing their agreement with an idea or ideas proposed by another poster)
3) Disagreements (Someone showing their disagreement with an idea or ideas proposed by another poster)
4) I like it! (Someone showing their appreciation for an idea or ideas proposed by another poster)

To elaborate, we often see stuff like:

Post #1 : Hey, I think Zalanthas needs xyz.

Post #2 : I agree with poster of post #1.

Post #3 : I disagree with poster of post #1

Post #4 : Thanks - this was exactly what I had in mind too!

IMO, these just spam up the board, and add content which has minimal-to-no reading value to the general populace.

I'd be great to just have separate Buttons for such generic GDB posts, above/below each post, so that the players can just hit the respective Button of their choice, and have a single-line post added into the GDB.

To illustrate:

Post #1 (this would be a full-fledged GDB message) : Hey Zalanthas needs xyz.

Below it, we'd see something like:

(a single-line bullet) Poster B agreed with poster A, for the above post, on (date).

(a single-line bullet) Poster C thanked poster A, for the above post, on (date).

(a single-line bullet) Poster D gives kudos to poster A, for the above post, on (date).

- Inco&nito
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I disagree with poster of post #1

I disagree.   :P

Also, I've never seen a board that does it like that.  I don't think such a modification could be considered "slight".

Quote from: Yam on August 22, 2008, 05:20:14 AM
Especially in threads where the OP is specifically asking what we think. 
Simple agreement in the example you used would be acceptable, but a disagreement
(even if its "I like things just the way they are") I would think that it would merit a little
explanation, and most of the time people DO let you know why they don't like your idea.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I also find nothing about the modification "slight".

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 22, 2008, 10:22:16 AM
Quote from: Yam on August 22, 2008, 05:20:14 AM
Especially in threads where the OP is specifically asking what we think. 
Simple agreement in the example you used would be acceptable, but a disagreement
(even if its "I like things just the way they are") I would think that it would merit a little
explanation, and most of the time people DO let you know why they don't like your idea.

I don't like the idea because it would be incredibly annoying.

It would be like every thread is a poll.  I personally don't mind reading the agreements and disagreements.  Often it's, 'I agree, and (new feature/idea/twist here).' Or, 'I disagree, because (sometimes a good argument, sometimes not so good of an argument).'  I tend to find the arguments, additions, and counterarguments, very useful.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

The GDB is here as a community resource and also a way for players to express their opinions, talk, chat and become part of the community. It's not ALL about providing concise and useful information, though this is important too. If people want to express that they simply like an idea then why shouldn't they? It's not SPAM, it is a person's post who has taken the time to express their views and join in on our community.

If you don't want to read it, just scan it up to the next 'valuable' post.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Maybe for your own threads that you want to monitor without having to read 30 "I agree/disagree", make your own thread a poll with said options. "I agree. I disagree. I agree/disagree because <post reason>"

But I'm just fine, personally, with it the way it is.
Quote from: Yam
Tew is the sound Soh make when they shoot guns.

Tew! Tew! Tew!

KahKahKahKahKahKahKahKahKah!

Tew!

the modification certainly isn't slight, but if i recall there's already a add-on for the vanilla forums http://getvanilla.com/ that offers something like that. i really dig the vanilla forums they're highly modifiable but unless you know php they're kind of a pain in the fucking ass to get running correctly because of all the addons.

here's the addon:
http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=225

With a few adjustments it could probably be made into a thumbs up thumbs down for every post.