Idle OOC Rules

Started by Raesanos, August 21, 2008, 04:39:10 PM

Idle OOC rules?

Bah.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

One thing that got brought up is itneresting is the moderation of off-topic threads.  This is something that takes a lot of moderation effort, and in the case of idle OOC doesn't really help in terms of quality feedback on the game, which we really want... its something we'd consider not doing for Idle OOC.  Thoughts?

Quote from: Raesanos on August 25, 2008, 12:28:49 PM
One thing that got brought up is itneresting is the moderation of off-topic threads.  This is something that takes a lot of moderation effort, and in the case of idle OOC doesn't really help in terms of quality feedback on the game, which we really want... its something we'd consider not doing for Idle OOC.  Thoughts?

This will be met with much approval from the Dioscoreaceae family.

Why not make Idle OOC a section of the forums that you need to register an account to view?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on August 25, 2008, 12:36:39 PM
Why not make Idle OOC a section of the forums that you need to register an account to view?

I totally agree with Mansa on this.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Nice, we can rename the forum "Armageddon's Shame"

Though its not actually a bad idea

Quote from: Raesanos on August 25, 2008, 03:37:12 PM

Nice, we can rename the forum "Armageddon's Shame"

Though its not actually a bad idea

Catchy name, too! ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

There are other forums I would suggest to also, 'hide'.

Also, I want to be the moderator of Armageddon's Shame.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

August 25, 2008, 04:13:21 PM #33 Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:19:15 PM by Desertman
I like Idle OOC how it is.

It isnt so moderated that it becomes a boring "Happy Rainbow Paradise of Niceness" to the point that people are sugar-coating their thoughts so much that you never get their real thoughts.

I dont want to read a bunch of stuff that is posted in a way that the poster was so self-conciouss over being "Twitted" that they fail to put any true emotion into their posts.

Maybe Big Brother could just step down for Idle OOC purposes.

I like it how it is.

Sometimes when I want to say..."Look shit-face, go eat a maggot, you are a stupid."...Or when I deserve for someone to tell me the same thing...It doesnt happen.

I think thats a good level of moderation.

We cant be openly blatantly vulgar and rude to one another in most cases. Most of us wouldnt anyways. I think thats enough.

If it ever gets to the point that specific groups of individuals can call down the..."We are offended" flag on someone who didnt blatantly call them a "Fuck-face douchebag."...I will just stop posting.

(I know you guys will miss me so much)

If you cant run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. The world is a tough place, everything you encounter isnt going to make you feel rainbow bright inside, and thats just the way it is. Stop reading if you dont like it. Typically, noone is attacking you here anyways. We dont tolerate personal attacks. Atleast blatant ones.

Attacks on groups, ideas, thoughts, and beliefs....Yes, we have those in plenty. Personal attacks, we dont have those.

We have people who chose to take attacks on their thoughts, beliefs, and ideas, and groups personally...But that is because they are often too sensitive and in general...They need to fucking grow up and realize its a GDB for a fantasy game. In short...Get over it kiddo.

We dont have personal attacks here and I dont think we need moderation beyond that point for OOC purposes.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Because Desertman is tough and generally good-humored and can take it I say this:  I would suggest a level of moderation that crimps Desertman's style by an additional 20-35%.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 25, 2008, 04:17:30 PM
Because Desertman is tough and generally good-humored and can take it I say this:  I would suggest a level of moderation that crimps Desertman's style by an additional 20-35%.

We already had that instated...but the drop was by about 80-85%.

Desertchoad to Desertman.

Dessert man IS 50% of ooc. ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

August 25, 2008, 05:08:13 PM #37 Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:07:16 PM by The7DeadlyVenomz
Quote from: Raesanos on August 25, 2008, 12:28:49 PM
I can agree with this, though I think quick scans and the ability to report a post still are needed, just in case anything that deals too closely with IC info needs to be knocked out. Some topics in OOC get way out of bounds dealing with IRL. That said, we can always stop reading. I also think that the community as a whole knows when to stop before it gets too bad. Individuals can choose to do bad, for instance, but most of us can choose to stop responding and reading a thread that goes too far.

I have to do it all the time with religious threads. Otherwise, I'd be twitted permenantly.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

My biggest concern would be certain groups determining what "Bad" and "Good" were and then other people getting the Twit Shaft for it.

Quote from: Desertman on August 25, 2008, 05:21:52 PM
My biggest concern would be certain groups determining what "Bad" and "Good" were and then other people getting the Twit Shaft for it.

Not if the moderators moderate the post and then send the original post to the Staff, who would still choose who is getting the Twit Shaft or not.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on August 25, 2008, 05:24:04 PM
Quote from: Desertman on August 25, 2008, 05:21:52 PM

Not if the moderators moderate the post and then send the original post to the Staff, who would still choose who is getting the Twit Shaft or not.

Yeah, I could buy that.

But only if after the origional post went to staff and if it was determined "Not Twit Worthy" the origional post was put back up.

I would hate to see a stream of "Moderators" moderating things based on their own personal beliefs and what personally offends them, only to have the staff turn around and say..."Wait a minute, thats not twit-worthy. Sure its a little dick-ish, but he wasnt attacking anyone personally."

So moderate it if you want, but if the staff determines its not twit-worthy, it need to put back the way you found it.

I could go for that.

I think that the ugly, offensive free for all that unmoderated forums tend to become would probably have a profoundly negative effect on the community, if racist, sexist or otherwise offensive posts are allowed to flourish I can imagine I'd lose a lot of respect for the posters responsible very quickly, and let's not pretend that feelings like that don't carry through to their personality on the gdb as a whole or how comfortable individuals feel partaking in a game together.

In short, we're here to play a game together.  There are plenty of unmoderated forums where you can be as offensive as you want, why do we need to ruin the GDB by doing it here?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on August 25, 2008, 05:29:08 PM
I think that the ugly, offensive free for all that unmoderated forums tend to become would probably have a profoundly negative effect on the community, if racist, sexist or otherwise offensive posts are allowed to flourish I can imagine I'd lose a lot of respect for the posters responsible very quickly, and let's not pretend that feelings like that don't carry through to their personality on the gdb as a whole or how comfortable individuals feel partaking in a game together.

In short, we're here to play a game together.  There are plenty of unmoderated forums where you can be as offensive as you want, why do we need to ruin the GDB by doing it here?

I dont find anything wrong with a post that expresses racism, sexism, or otherwise offensive material...So long as that post is not used to directly and blatantly attack another individual on a personal level.

In short, we're here to play a game together. There are plenty of sugar-coated forums where you can be as rainbow-bright as you want. Why do we need to fake and fluff the GDB by overmoderating here?

Quote from: Desertman on August 25, 2008, 05:33:15 PM

I dont find anything wrong with a post that expresses racism, sexism, or otherwise offensive material...So long as that post is not used to directly and blatantly attack another individual on a personal level.

In short, we're here to play a game together. There are plenty of sugar-coated forums where you can be as rainbow-bright as you want. Why do we need to fake and fluff the GDB by overmoderating here?

There's no sense of community on the GDB.

I know I don't care about 95% of you, which is something strange for me because I usually care about the community I'm involved with in other games and other internet places I'm involved in.

I wish I cared more about the people I spend half of my days playing with.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I love you, Malken.

LOVE ME BACK.

Quote from: Desertman on August 25, 2008, 05:33:15 PM

It's pretty easy for white males to be okay with sexism and racism.  But that's not the point. Your comfort level is not the same as everyone else's comfort level.

This is a game, first and foremost.  There are a lot of people that aren't going to be comfortable in a community that allows flagrant bigotry or personal attacks of the sort that tend to happen when forums are unmoderated. You need regulations and guidelines on the forum so that you can actually attract and keep players. 

Why the overwhelming need to fight for the right to be an asshole on a public forum, even at the cost of players?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

August 25, 2008, 05:54:06 PM #46 Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:58:01 PM by The7DeadlyVenomz
I care about my community. There are a few people I would like to meet a great deal. There are some of you I would like to knock down to size just one time, to help you if you've never had a knock down before. And most of you, I just like, which is more than I can say for most people I meet day to day.

I wish that people could restrain themselves from innane topics of their own accord and not push the lines so far. It's not that hard, frankly. If more folks were mature enough to keep really stupid thoughts attacking sensitive topics to themselves, the whole world would be a better place.

Most of the stuff that needs moderation is nothing but rehashing of intolerance and hatred. It's that part that saddens me. Debate and arguments don't. I don't care if you don't agree with me - I do care when you tell me that I'm an idiot for thinking differently than you. Grown folks monitor theirselves, and 90% of you wouldn't talk like that to another person face to face. We like to call ourselves mature for playing a thinking game like Armageddon. Well, act like it. Personally, I can without question say that if OOC becomes unmoderated, there will be a point in time when I avoid it completely for a lengthy time.

With such a choice, to not moderate OOC, I would ask Staff to offer me a way to collapse the OOC forum so that I can not see it at all, or options in profile to veiw or not to view certian forums, as though they don't exist.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

August 25, 2008, 06:03:00 PM #47 Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:09:35 PM by Desertman
Quote from: staggerlee
It's pretty easy for white males to be okay with sexism and racism.  But that's not the point. Your comfort level is not the same as everyone else's comfort level.

Now, If I were a white male, I might know what you talking about.

But I'm not a white male. I'm a halfbreed. (Caucasian, Native American)

Also, making an assumption about the general mindset and offense levels of a gender and race based solely on their gender and race is racist and sexist in my book and find it offensive. I believe your post should be moderated due to the fact that I personally find this to be racist and sexist and such it has offended me on my own personal levels.

(I dont really, I could care less. But see how having to conform to someone else's sense of "Offended" can really start to over-do the whole..."That offended me" shit?)

Quote from: staggerlee on August 25, 2008, 05:52:38 PM

There are a lot of people that aren't going to be comfortable in a community that allows flagrant bigotry or personal attacks of the sort that tend to happen when forums are unmoderated.

Please see my post. I specifically deviate the difference between "Personal Attacks" and Non-Personal attacks. I am not for personal attacks. Freedom of speech and expression yes, but not when your application of the two personally and blatantly attack someone.

There is a difference between saying...

"I believe females in general are not as strong as males."

And

"Hey you skank!!! Why dont you get over here and wash dishes, shouldnt you be barefoot and pregnant?"

You see, there is a big difference between sexism as a personal attack, and not as a personal attack. The same goes for racism and all other "offensive" aspects of conduct.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 25, 2008, 05:54:06 PM
I care about my community. There are a few people I would like to meet a great deal. There are some of you I would like to knock down to size just one time, to help you if you've never had a knock down before. And most of you, I just like, which is more than I can say for most people I meet day to day.

I wish that people could restrain themselves from innane topics of their own accord and not push the lines so far. It's not that hard, frankly. If more folks were mature enough to keep really stupid thoughts attacking sensitive topics to themselves, the whole world would be a better place.

Most of the stuff that needs moderation is nothing but rehashing of intolerance and hatred. It's that part that saddens me. Debate and arguments don't. I don't care if you don't agree with me - I do care when you tell me that I'm an idiot for thinking differently than you. Grown folks monitor theirselves, and 90% of you wouldn't talk like that to another person face to face. We like to call ourselves mature for playing a thinking game like Armageddon. Well, act like it. Personally, I can without question say that if OOC becomes unmoderated, there will be a point in time when I avoid it completely for a lengthy time.

With such a choice, to not moderate OOC, I would ask Staff to offer me a way to collapse the OOC forum so that I can not see it at all, or options in profile to veiw or not to view certian forums, as though they don't exist.

Very good post.

I dont agree with 7DV on almost all topics, but he has never once said..."Hey Desertman, you are a fucking idiot."

He always disagrees with me, and he always does it in a way that is not a personal attack.

I try to be the same way.

This is what I'm talking about. We can disagree with each other, we can even dislike each other, but we can still be relatively respectful to one another.

I think the GDB we have now is pretty good about moderating its self. I very seldom see anyone personally attack someone else.

Quote from: Desertman on August 25, 2008, 06:05:36 PM
I very seldom see anyone personally attack someone else.

I've seen you do it, but it seems like you don't think you have. The question is, who's right? That's what moderation is for.

Personally, I'm supportive of the requirements of ARM community over the "free speech rights" of individuals.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.