Idle OOC Rules

Started by Raesanos, August 21, 2008, 04:39:10 PM

Quote from: Angela Christine on September 07, 2008, 12:02:03 AM
While we are on the topic, is there any sort of suggested thread length limit?  For a while there was a 20 page limit, but then we changed software.  Does it matter now how long a thread gets?  Is one 100 page thread any better or any worse than five 20 page threads?

I'm not familiar with this limit, was this just a limitation of the software, or did someone come out and say threads couldn't be that long?

Noob.   ;D 

I think it was back on the old board, not this shiny new one. It was definitely a rule, threads in OOC chatter were getting locked after 20 pages (I'm not sure if the rule was just for OOC chatter, but threads on the other forums rarely get to 20 pages).  I think it was triggered by a conversational thread very much like the current Random Thought thread.  The thread got to a little over 140 pages, at which point it started behaving strangely.  It stopped adding new pages or new posts.  You could still reply to the thread, and when replying you would see the 10 most recent posts, but that was the only way to see the new posts.  There may have been some other reasons too, since that would only account for making a 100 page limit, not a 20 page limit.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: Angela Christine on September 08, 2008, 06:34:15 AM
Noob.   ;D 

I think it was back on the old board, not this shiny new one. It was definitely a rule, threads in OOC chatter were getting locked after 20 pages (I'm not sure if the rule was just for OOC chatter, but threads on the other forums rarely get to 20 pages).  I think it was triggered by a conversational thread very much like the current Random Thought thread.  The thread got to a little over 140 pages, at which point it started behaving strangely.  It stopped adding new pages or new posts.  You could still reply to the thread, and when replying you would see the 10 most recent posts, but that was the only way to see the new posts.  There may have been some other reasons too, since that would only account for making a 100 page limit, not a 20 page limit.

If there were technical reasons that aren't an issue on this board, I don't have a problem with it.  This software seems more robust so I don't expect the same weirdness.