Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

I've lost no less than ten PCs to "going back to get my mount."
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 15, 2010, 11:23:32 PM
I've lost no less than ten PCs to "going back to get my mount."

M'boy, the ditching of one or multiple mounts is an art form and a key ingredient to my characters' longevity. *tweaks mustache and strolls away*

My shame for the day is the fact that I seem to bring up Arm in every other conversation I have with my significant other. Or does that belong in the "You Know You're Addicted..." thread?
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Sometimes the line between shame and brag is so thin.

I had a Tuluki assassin whose confidence far exceeded her actual abilities. She got a job as an aide for a noble, who assigned her to kill some southron who didn't know his place. The target was going to be in the city and had a meeting with my character, ostensibly to for some business arrangement with the noble.

So, she and one of her closer allies plotted the whole thing out, talking through various scenarios and methods. They rented a vacant apartment, to which they would lure the intended victim. They even discussed how to deal with the resulting mess afterward. The funny part to me, in retrospect, is that there was so much discussion about how it would happen, and hardly an inkling of doubt that it would all work out.

So anyway, the meeting happens, in a public place. My character's accomplice is waiting back in the apartment. My character eventually lures the would-be victim back there, whereupon (as expected) the filthy southron starts to escalate the flirtation. Everything is working according to plan, and my character and her accomplice (on the other side of a door) are keeping each other updated psionically. Things started to veer off track when my character couldn't really separate the victim from his weapons & armor, but that wasn't going to deter her.

Finally the moment came to strike, and the accomplice rushes in. Things go really badly from there, as it quickly becomes apparent that we're way overmatched. My character manages to poison the intended victim, at least, before she dies.

So I see the mantis head, and I have no idea who got out of that apartment alive. The accomplice? The southron? Did everyone die?

I only was into my next character for an hour or two when I heard the answer, all the way across the world in Allanak.  I heard the story, with some embellishments, in two different bars within days. Apparently the guy got away, after killing both the wannabe assassins.

I have to say this is probably my favorite death of all of them, because it was such a glorious failure.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

August 18, 2010, 03:43:13 PM #353 Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:50:12 PM by Shepard
I had a northern noble that was destroyed by a single accusation of my cousin's aide.

I was sitting in the sanctuary, when the aide came in. He threw the head of another nobles's aide on my lap, and yelled, "I did what you asked,". Afterwards, his word was apparently taken over mine. He was killed and I was given a life sentence to the noble estate. :(

Furthermore, the aide that did me in, wasn't even a registered or recongnized bard, and wasn't even MY aide.

After that happening, I stopped playing in Tuluk. For a year or so, and learnt the beauty of Allanak.

Today, I understand there was most likely more going on behind the curtain... but on the surface level, and still to this day of what I KNOW, a commoner took down a noble!

You let go of the wall...bad move.
You plummet to the ground below...

Simply, this. And not realizing you were still clinging to a wall to begin with  :-[

Quote from: Akaramu on August 18, 2010, 04:14:11 PM

Simply, this. And not realizing you were still clinging to a wall to begin with  :-[

Try doing that 6-7 times in a row, in the same room.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Akaramu on August 18, 2010, 04:14:11 PM

Been there. Done that. A few times. It's one of the ultimate facepalm moments.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

>d
You try and climb but slip!
>emote braces for impact.
You fall.
You fall.
You fall.
the small, blue-eyed boy braces for impact.
You fall.
>emote brushes off his cloak.
the small, blue-eyed boy brushes off his cloak.
>d
You arrive from above.

Aka - abusing a 5 room fall to not taking fall damage, roleplaying as I braced for impact.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I assassinated someone.

In the process, I emoted a whisper to them, explaining why I was killing them.

Then I killed them.

Oops.  I bypassed the language code.  Bad mansa.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on August 26, 2010, 04:42:49 PM
I assassinated someone.

Then I killed them.

I did this too, whispering with my mortally wounded first character who got wtfpwned by 'rinthi elves.

Quote from: mansa on August 26, 2010, 04:42:49 PM
I assassinated someone.

Then I killed them.

I do this to pcs and npcs alike. I feel no shame.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Really? So it's acceptable then? The victim can't hear your monologue when in negative health?

Oh, you'll get an account note if you're caught, I'm sure. Bad habit.

Quote from: jstorrie on August 28, 2010, 03:36:52 AM
Oh, you'll get an account note if you're caught, I'm sure. Bad habit.

Jstorrie's shame: teacher's pet.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: jstorrie on August 28, 2010, 03:42:58 AM
Sorceror karma, here I come!

In your dreams loser.

jstorrie's shame: never really killing anyone with an assassin.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I killed myself with an assassin. Yes, I'm -that- good at them. BOOM! BEEP!

...FUCK...
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: Reiloth on August 30, 2010, 01:48:02 AM

I killed that elf. Or maybe you did. Look, I was present when the elf died. I mean, he was in the same argosy as us, somewhere.

Quote from: jstorrie on August 31, 2010, 01:18:25 AM

I killed that elf. Or maybe you did. Look, I was present when the elf died. I mean, he was in the same argosy as us, somewhere.

That was such a three stooges assassination.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 31, 2010, 01:37:42 AM
Quote from: jstorrie on August 31, 2010, 01:18:25 AM

That was such a three stooges assassination.
My shame: I was that elf, if I think I know what you two are talking about.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

A while back I lost one of my earliest PCs after abandoning my exhausted mount. The PC died, the mount did not (I think).
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Mounts never die. When their owners do, they take to the wastes, wandering alone in search of some greater meaning.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Wolfsong on August 31, 2010, 07:08:25 PM
Mounts never die. When their owners do, they take to the wastes, wandering alone in search of some greater meaning.
Can I sig that?

September 01, 2010, 02:08:35 AM #373 Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:57:53 PM by solera

QuoteI'd like for some aggressive wildlife (depending on size, buffness, and personal habits) to be more interested in my mount than in me.

My third character died when I logged into a tembo.  i unhitched my kank because I thought the tembo would turn on it first, if I ran.
(I  made my next character a bynner so i could learn how these things worked.)

Quote from: solera on September 01, 2010, 02:08:35 AM
(I  made my next character a bynner so i could learn how these things worked.)

Smart.

*thumbs up*