Merchant Guild

Started by tarsier, July 20, 2008, 08:28:03 PM

I was reading over some older posts about merchants and stuff,
and I unearthed some very important information:

Merchants are good crafters!

Now, I never would have know this!
The Merchant guild description doesn't even mention that they possess crafting skills!
I thought crafting was done with a subguild.
I know I'm new, so maybe it's just because of that,
but new players may be turned off by the Merchant class because they don't know it grants crafting skills.

Staff, might I suggest taht you edit the Merchant guild's description to include the fact that they are good at crafting?

lol
the lines are drawn
the orders are in
the dance commander's
ready to sin
radio message from hq
dance commander
we love you

I wondered the same thing actually. My first character, I picked merchant/hunter because I wanted her to be able to survive in or out of the city, and be able to pilot a wagon or ride...and I think it was knifemaking on the hunter list that I assumed was a good way to get a crafting skill (or fletchery? I can't remember..whatever the blurb says).

I had NO idea that merchants came with crafting skills.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Helpfiles>help guild merchant
Guild Merchant                                                  (Character)

Merchants are the blood which binds the world together, the carriers of
desperately needed goods from one land to another. Usually descendants of
the old Dune Traders, merchants quickly learn the ways of the desert, the
most profitable trade routes, and possess a handy charm for making friends
of even the most bitter templar.
   Merchants possess the ability to ride animals and pilot the argosies
that cross the lands between villages and cities. They are also skilled at
assessing an object's value, getting excellent prices from all but the
stingiest traders, and noticing every detail around them. Furthermore, they
have great talent in many forms of crafting, from simple cups to intricate
forms of weaponry.

While faced with a hard life, merchants are often the richest people in
any given city-state. The most sure way to find work as a merchant is to
travel widely, joining caravans at every opportunity. Whenever he/she can,
a merchant ought to find a village's or a city's traders and learn the
prices of things there. By compiling this knowledge (knowing true item costs
can be invaluable in doing this), the merchant can devise superior trade
routes and make a great deal of money.

See Also:
   guilds

?
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Ah, that must've been added in the past couple years. I'm pretty sure that line wasn't there when I first looked over the website before I created my first character. I haven't looked since <g>

Good looking out!

While it does read that way IG from typing 'help merchant', the docs on the site lack it.
http://www.armageddon.org/general/guilds.html#merchant

I had no idea that merchants could craft, since I get pretty much all of my information from the web documentation.

Yeah, it should say it in the online documentation,
since that's where players will look when creating their first characters.
(Since they have no character in the game to read IG helpfiles, obviously)

Actually, it will be in the helpfiles available from the site.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/index_frames.html

But that's besides the point. A few of the other guild blurbs on the site are inconsistent with the help files, and it would be nice to see some recoordination there, to eliminate confusion.

Good catch guys. I'll post this on the IDB and let someone who handles the website take a look at it.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Update the other guilds too while you're at it!   :P

Yeah, pickpocket is slightly different, and assassin too, off the top of my head. Can't remember if the others are the same or not.

And don't forget to add the spell lists for the elementalists!

And an armor stats page...I mean, the duskhorn hauberk really does look better with my green silk veil, but if the turquoise chitin-plated vest protects better, I could probably live with the clash in colors and just toss a purple cloak over the whole thing. I wouldn't know without that stats page!!!111

Quote from: Lizzie on July 21, 2008, 07:22:22 AM
And don't forget to add the spell lists for the elementalists!

And an armor stats page...I mean, the duskhorn hauberk really does look better with my green silk veil, but if the turquoise chitin-plated vest protects better, I could probably live with the clash in colors and just toss a purple cloak over the whole thing. I wouldn't know without that stats page!!!111

Um??? Is it wrong that if I, through playing the character have to rely on a set of hardcoded skills I want to know what they are so I don't wind up with a character whose skills mismatch their life experiences, or even more simply, skills that I, as a player do not enjoy, due to inaccurate information to go of off?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Ahem..I was teasing. Making a funny. Having a little giggle - pretending I was a H&S'er... sorry!

I just want the ridiculous things like "In nearly all warriors there exists some notion of honor and fairness" and the employability of mages changed.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 21, 2008, 09:43:07 AM
I just want the ridiculous things like "In nearly all warriors there exists some notion of honor and fairness" and the employability of mages changed.

I love it when I get those warriors who are roleplaying the "honor" code. The new ones who havent figured out you just have to ignore some docs.

Man, I have a blast with those guys. Most of them think honor=gullability, which is a beautiful thing.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on July 21, 2008, 10:44:59 AM
I love it when I get those warriors who are roleplaying the "honor" code. The new ones who havent figured out you just have to ignore some docs.

Most warriors in Zalanthas -do- have a sense of honour, and you should follow the docs until an imm says they're out of date and changes them.

That said, "honour" among Zalanthas probably has more to do with pride than chivalry.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Guyz, "honor and fairness" are just a euphemisms for a warrior's full skill list. "Honor" = "is codedly uber with weapons and takes rightful pride in that," "fairness" = "doesn't fight dirty (backstab) like some nasty assassin type." Sure, there's one or two skills left out...maybe...but that's pretty much the extent of it! ;)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

The perception of honor in Zalanthas is very likely a combination of pride and self respect on the part of the formally trained warrior. 

For example, people might assume that a warrior wouldn't kill a child because the warrior is honorable and, therefore, knows that hurting a defenseless child is immoral and wrong.  I'd be more inclined to believe that the warrior won't kill the child because it is beneath them and what they've been trained to do.  If you had trained for years to become a fierce and terrible fighting machine, what would be your reaction if someone asked you to slaughter a 10 year old?

For a real world example, what if you are a professionally trained musician and, during an interview with some orchestra, were told that your primary duties would be to clean the instruments and sweep up the stage after each performance.  Would you consider the work beneath you?  Enough to refuse the job?  Would the mention of such work compared to your resume of professional training and work even be considered offensive to you?

The notion here is that anyone can kill a defenseless child.  Asking a professionally trained warrior to accomplish the same task might be considered beneath their ability.  That may not only be offensive to them, but potentially damaging to their reputation if they accept.

The same could be applied to notions of fairness.  They may not be excited to slaughter an unarmed opponent, or an obviously inferior target, and prefer instead to "even the odds" so that they can feel that the use of their trained hand was warranted.  Warriors may also demonstrate fair behavior because of mutual respect for someone who has obviously worked hard and achieved something through rigorous training. While that grudging respect may not stop them from stomping your face into the ground when the chips are on the table, it may translate into sets of behavior that could be perceived as being fair.

Lastly, warriors are ultimately trained to be death dealers.  Veterans may well depart some sense of respect for death and the dying to them, since there usually is a method and ritual that develops when your daily exercises involve the potential death of others.  There becomes almost a code that one develops, a set of rules they will follow because of the situations that are presented to them.  These personal codes and rules as they apply when dealing death could be interpreted as honor and fairness in the eyes of some.

-LoD

Yeah but newbies who read those help files aren't going to think about what "honor and fairness" really mean in terms of the world of Zalanthas as much as you would, LoD.  They're going to read it at face value, and/or in terms of the typical fantasy settings they are familiar with.

I strongly disagree that "honor and fairness" is the best and clearest way to describe the mentality of the typical Zalanthan warrior.

EDIT: actually I don't even believe that any of the guilds should impart a "mentality" of any sort upon the characters that choose them.

Quote from: LoD on July 21, 2008, 12:53:35 PM
If you had trained for years to become a fierce and terrible fighting machine, what would be your reaction if someone asked you to slaughter a 10 year old?

Good post, LoD; but, with apologies to George R.R. Martin:

> ep child
You brandish the adorable, tousle-headed youngster.
> say (sighing) The things I do for love...
You say, sighing, in sirihish,
 "The things I do for love..."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 21, 2008, 12:58:12 PM
I strongly disagree that "honor and fairness" is the best and clearest way to describe the mentality of the typical Zalanthan warrior.

True, but if they've read the rest of the docs then they should know what "honor and fairness" means in Zalanthas.  And as someone else said, it could just mean they don't have the "backstab" skill.  ;)  But you are right, it could probably be explained a little differently. 

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 21, 2008, 12:58:12 PM
Yeah but newbies who read those help files aren't going to think about what "honor and fairness" really mean in terms of the world of Zalanthas as much as you would, LoD.  They're going to read it at face value, and/or in terms of the typical fantasy settings they are familiar with.

EDIT: actually I don't even believe that any of the guilds should impart a "mentality" of any sort upon the characters that choose them.

I agree that the wording doesn't accurately convey to mentality of the Zalanthan warrior, but I suppose I haven't noticed enough chivalrous knight types running around to warrant the exposition that might be necessary to paint an accurate picture.  And perhaps there's enough variety between civilization centers and cultures to incorporate a few different interpretations of honor and fairness between them.

I'd argue for brevity in this case, but I'd be happy with any reasonable alternative.  Perhaps those words could be linked to another help file discussing notions of honor, fairness, nobility, and other qualities as they belong within the average Zalanthan's life.

-LoD

As a document that indoctrinates new players to the game, why should it be confusing or go against commonalities in thought of modern society?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

The beautiful thing is everyone can and usually does play the "exception" to the rule.

So while most warriors should have a sense of honor and fairness, most wont, which is good in this case, IMO.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.