How do you log?

Started by mangler, July 16, 2008, 02:16:49 PM

Hi, this must sound really noobish, but i've never logged before, and never really wanted to, but I can see it could be useful, how do you guys do it? Do you have MUD clients with a logging ability? There have been some seens i'd really like to record, but havn't able to because I don't no or have anything which will let me do so     :(
Someone says: I imagine the festivities have worn you thin... Well good. I plan on leading patrols over the next month, that would turn even your shriveled manhoods into sturdy poles of destruction.

Generally your client has some manner of logging capability. As for specifics and techniques, you can probably find some in the archives.

I've been meaning for a while now to make a logging macro that kicks in after the mantis-head and includes the date and character name.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Cheers.. I only had a really old MUD client which I hadnt updated for ages, just downloaded a new one, thanks.
Someone says: I imagine the festivities have worn you thin... Well good. I plan on leading patrols over the next month, that would turn even your shriveled manhoods into sturdy poles of destruction.

If you set your scrollback far enough, you don't really HAVE to log a whole session just to save the scene. You can scroll up - hold your mouse over the first line, scroll down to the end, which will highlight all the text. While your mouse is held down with your right hand, do CTRL-C with your left hand. Some clients automatically UNhighlight you if you let go of the mouse so keep it held, it's good practice anyway :)

That will copy everything highlighted to clipboard. Then open notepad or word or whatever other text thing you want to use, and CTRL-V to paste everything copied back out again.

It's really just 2 very easy steps: COPY/PASTE
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Real men log with a pencil and notepad.

Quote from: Yam on July 16, 2008, 05:11:14 PM
Real men log with a pencil and notepad.

Real men have better things to do with their time.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I use an axe.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 16, 2008, 02:18:25 PM
Generally your client has some manner of logging capability. As for specifics and techniques, you can probably find some in the archives.

I've been meaning for a while now to make a logging macro that kicks in after the mantis-head and includes the date and character name.
Mine's set on a trigger for Welcome to the world of Zalanthas! (which is after the mantis head) and it records the date/time. For character name... that's all in the text file name itself.

I adopt five year olds and force them to remember everything. One child for every two hours of gameplay.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 16, 2008, 07:49:29 PM
I adopt five year olds and force them to remember everything. One child for every two hours of gameplay.

You are the Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt of Arm. Well, I guess just the Brad Pitt part, but the version of him after he got with her.

Quote from: Mood on July 16, 2008, 06:49:34 PM
I use an axe.

Me too.  On Arm I usually forget to log.

:D Man you guys come up with some funny stuff considering this post wasn't ment to attract any -at all-

I used to use the log function on Gmud...now I just copy and paste chunks into notepad as I go.

Means that if I get -really- enthralled, I might miss the end of a log, but it means I can vaguely edit out the junk (craft spams, local echo, barrier spams, everyone else talking...*coughs*) as I go.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I use atlantis, which is a client for mac os x.

It has a HUGE scrollback buffer. So I don't log anything, I just play.

If something interesting or buggy or dumb happens that I need proof of, I just tell it to log all scroll back and save to a file, then it logs scrollback and any other text, it's very nice.

I used to log every session, it adds up quick.. most of my logs are .rtf format are are at least 1MB in size.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: cyberpatrol_735 on July 17, 2008, 06:24:04 PM
most of my logs are .rtf format

This strikes me as very silly.

I always mess up logs cause of zMud. There should be a way to Save Buffer and Append to Log in one step. I always miss some stuff in between my buffer and when I started appending.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

I automatically log every session in a notepad doc. Doesn't take up too much space, generally.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Portal has a 'log incoming text to file' option.  The boring part is editing out the movement spam so it gets down to the good parts.  But if I try to manually log, I miss stuff, so ah well.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Almost never and I regret it.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.