Taverns and Gemmers.

Started by Qzzrbl, June 24, 2008, 05:13:40 PM

Is it really a good idea for Allanaki taverns to serve alcohol to gemmers? Who knows what a drunk wiggler is capable of....

Having found this out IC before...I have to go with...Find out IC.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

This is the kind of thing someone could try to address in game.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Gemmers are citizens with full rights afforded by the Templarate.  I can imagine some Templars getting upset when they find out that their chained bazookas were all getting pissy, feisty and ready for a fight because they couldn't get a drink.

However, if you want a change, you'd better start working in game.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm gonna nuke the first fucker that complains about my pc getting served.

:-*
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Would you as a tavern owner want to piss off a magicker, might turn your wine into piss.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

As someone who's had the privilege of selling alcohol, I'd let it be on a case-by-case basis.  I wouldn't deny anyone alcohol... after all, a tavern is an establishment out to make money.  As long as the person doesn't burn a chair or kill someone in your building, why would you care whether they were a 'gicker or not?

And obvious issues of precedence...

It may or may not have happened before, then come cost to loss analysises (if it has happened :-X ).
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Ammut on June 25, 2008, 02:22:44 AM
As someone who's had the privilege of selling alcohol, I'd let it be on a case-by-case basis.  I wouldn't deny anyone alcohol... after all, a tavern is an establishment out to make money.  As long as the person doesn't burn a chair or kill someone in your building, why would you care whether they were a 'gicker or not?

That's really more of a modern concept.  It's perfectly feasible that a barkeep in a setting like Arm's might stiff himself on some business due to fear/hatred.  And it might be better for business if he discriminates against a particular type.

Maybe a barkeep is tired of magickers scaring away all his decent customers?
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on June 25, 2008, 08:33:12 AM

That's really more of a modern concept.  It's perfectly feasible that a barkeep in a setting like Arm's might stiff himself on some business due to fear/hatred.  And it might be better for business if he discriminates against a particular type.

Maybe a barkeep is tired of magickers scaring away all his decent customers?

And as busy as the Gaj is with just PC's...do you really think the barkeep gives a shit if he kicks the 'gemmers out if the other 90% of people who can afford to drink there all come there...so they don't run into 'gickers?

And someone said something about the templarate being upset that the 'gickers are mad 'cause they can't get a drink.  Well...let's see...they can...just not there...BYOB and take it back to your temple where you can blow each other up.  The templarate can basically take care of any uprising of the gemmed.  Without breaking a sweat.  So, them being upset is a bit impotent.  Like a two year old beating their fist on the floor and crying because they don't want that cookie, it's funny shaped.

"I know I can get my own alcohol and get drunk in my temple...but...I want to get drunk in THERE!!!  WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

That's what a templar...well any templar I would be would hear.  The gemmed are ALLOWED to live to serve the Highlord.  You don't like it...step out the bar, make a left, and when you see the two big half-giants...hop in the pit.  Cause that's your other choice really.  Die or deal and continue to live or die.  And don't get snooty with me mage...I'll drop you to your knees and let my half-giants skull fuck you to death.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

This can and has been found out IC before.

Everything here should be taken only as speculation and holds no presidence.

June 25, 2008, 01:09:52 PM #12 Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:12:49 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on June 25, 2008, 10:24:15 AM
"I know I can get my own alcohol and get drunk in my temple...but...I want to get drunk in THERE!!!  WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

You people are getting just plain nuts about this.

Taverns in Allanak serve drinks to the gemmed just like every other NPC store does business with them without trouble.

To top it off, there have been multiple requests and even attempts by the gemmed to get their own half-assed, single-table pub open, without fruition. I even recall a staff member posting that they want magickers to be out mixing with the general populace.

The documentation itself says that receiving a gem gives one the same "rights" as any other common citizen.

Also, like it or not, some people do do business with gemmed on the sly, and there is a motivation for certain gemmed to appear in the pub now and then.

I would say that these anti-magicker kind of "posts" are reaching the level of trolling the forums.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on June 25, 2008, 01:09:52 PM
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on June 25, 2008, 10:24:15 AM

You people are getting just plain nuts about this.

Taverns in Allanak serve drinks to the gemmed just like every other NPC store does business with them without trouble.

To top it off, there have been multiple requests and even attempts by the gemmed to get their own half-assed, single-table pub open, without fruition. I even recall a staff member posting that they want magickers to be out mixing with the general populace.

The documentation itself says that receiving a gem gives one the same "rights" as any other common citizen.

Also, like it or not, some people do do business with gemmed on the sly, and there is a motivation for certain gemmed to appear in the pub now and then.

I would say that these anti-magicker kind of "posts" are reaching the level of trolling the forums.

I have played the exception PC myself from time to time...The ones that deal secretly with magickers.

The problem is that everyone seems to want to play the exception.

I am also fairly certain that the IMM's want magickers mixing with the populace, because they expect the populace to cause a conflict, which is always entertaining. I doubt they expected the commoners to welcome the magickers into thier taverns with open arms. Which sadly is what happened.

You're exaggerating a little, Desertman. Open arms is not really the senario. But the current incarnation of mage is just not something that some players feel like fearing anymore. Because you kinda do have to feel like fearing your average Gemmer nowadays. They are not rare, they are not scary, and it is just in the players' (not the PCs') nature to be cool with whatever is trying to be cool to them.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 25, 2008, 01:44:58 PM
You're exaggerating a little, Desertman. Open arms is not really the senario. But the current incarnation of mage is just not something that some players feel like fearing anymore. Because you kinda do have to feel like fearing your average Gemmer nowadays. They are not rare, they are not scary, and it is just in the players' (not the PCs') nature to be cool with whatever is trying to be cool to them.

I will agree with this.

The problem is when I find it hard to RP being afraid of/hating magickers, because even among the commoner PC's, I will be in the far minority.

Well, players tend to have a hard time harrassing other players for reasons that make no OOC sense. It is hard to divorce your OOC feelings from your IC feelings. You manage to di it, and that is good, but the real issue isn't that others can't do it - it is when they decide that not only are you not doing what they think you should be doing, but that you are wrong for doing what they are not doing. That makes it hard.

As I have advocated, mages have got to become more scary. Backlashes, random character deaths, implosions - seriously, the only real way that players are going to make their PCs respond in the right way is to make magick detrimental to their characters. I simply see no other way, because when a mage can heal you and buff you up, suddenly, magick becomes a lot more appealing for the player, OOCly, and the PC, when nothing is taken in return for something gained.

ANyway ... uhb.... I went off topic...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I played a gemmed whore once (merging two threads together).

She went into taverns.

People hated her.

Then they paid her for sex and made her keep it a secret.

Then Oash killed her for being too awesome.

I don't think you're applying the "Magick is feared" method.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Magickers are a double edged sword.  They are supposed to be hated, feared, and mistrusted, but too often characters fall into one or the other extreme and either like them too much, or hate them too much.

Allanak accepts magickers because it is a city with a large population.  Magickers crop up everywhere... especially in your family line.  It is an inevitability.

My opinions are that... any time you're in dire straights, you might see a magicker.  Be it that you are starving, dying of thirst, or dealt a mortal wound that even the most skilled physicians might balk at.  You might even see a gemmed magicker to help you deal with the paranormal... if you thought perhaps you were cursed by another of their kind.

Hate them.  Distrust them.  Fear them.  But don't completely ostracize the gemmed from the one place in the Known World that they are allowed to be -- Allanak.  Even having "negative" interactions with the populace is far preferred to having NO interactions with anyone.  Nobody wants to be stuck in a relatively tiny place (the Elemental Quarter in this example) with nothing to do, and no chance to interact with other PCs.  At times there are few gemmed in 'nak... general OOC opinion seems to be that they should keep to themselves and never leave the Quarter.  I cannot even begin to explain to you how lame this idea is.

Keep in mind that you can find clever ways to use the gemmed, all the while hating, reviling, and thinking that they could easily turn their powers towards you if you caused them enough ire.  A lot of good ideas might not even include something that they can "codedly" do, but rather delve into superstition or speculation and give a chance for some wicked roleplay.

All my opinion.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

June 25, 2008, 07:13:03 PM #20 Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:14:38 PM by Qzzrbl
look

In a tavern [NSW]
This is a tavern. They sell ale. Lots of ale and alcohol. People get drunk here. And there's alot
of fighting going on. There is a table, a bar, and the place is full of patrons. Alot of the tables
and such are badly scarred, and the mugs are cheap 'cause they need to be replaced alot because
they break alot.

The barkeeper is here, serving drinks.
The scary gemmed magicker is sitting at a bar.
The common Allanaki dude is sitting at the bar.

sit bar (walking over and pulling out a stool)
Walking over and pulling out a stool, you sit at a bar.

emote yawns loudly
The tall, muscular man yawns loudly.

Muttering something under his breath, the common Allanaki dude gets up to his feet, roughly
bumping into the scary gemmed magicker as he stalks out to the exit.

The scary gemmed magicker slams a fist onto a bar as he hops up to his feet, swaying drunkenly.

The scary gemmed magicker yells at the common Allanaki dude in Sirihish, slurring his words heavily,
"Eyy! Th'fffuck was'dat for?!?"

The air stills as the scary gemmed magicker begins casting.

A bright light suddenly fills the room, a concussive blast knocking you back against a wall.

Your vision goes black.

*skip ahead 30 minutes*

Your eyes flutter open.

emote groans as he sits up, looking about the tavern.
The tall muscular man groans as he sits up, looking about the tavern.

look

A huge fucking crater [NEWS]
You're in a huge fucking crater. Splinters of wood and chunks of human remains can be seen randomly
on the ground. Ash covers everything. You could probably forage for free booze here, but you might pull
up a corpse if you look around too hard. The crater sinks about five feet into the ground. Ash covers
everything.

The scary gemmed magicker is here, staring about in a drunken stupor, swaying lightly on his feet.
The corpse of a barkeeper is here.
The corpse of a common Allanaki dude is here.
Several VNPC corpses are here.

look gemmed

You look at the scary gemmed magicker.

This guy is gemmed, and scary. He probably eats babies. Just by looking at him you are cursed and your
entire family is cursed unless you copy&paste Qzzrbl's post and send it to five of your friends within the
next five minutes. The scary gemmed magicker tries to lead a normal life, and looks all normal and stuff,
but that's just him using his magick so he looks normal to you. He's hiding tentacles and sharp teeth somewhere.
Do not trust this guy.

The scary gemmed magicker is in excellent condition.

Worn on body: a shirt.
Worn on legs: Pants.

look
A huge fucking crater [NEWS]
You're in a huge fucking crater. Splinters of wood and chunks of human remains can be seen randomly
on the ground. Ash covers everything. You could probably forage for free booze here, but you might pull
up a corpse if you look around too hard. The crater sinks about five feet into the ground. Ash covers
everything.

The scary gemmed magicker is here, staring about in a drunken stooper, swaying lightly on his feet.
The corpse of a barkeeper is here.
The corpse of a common Allanaki dude is here.
Several VNPC corpses are here.

The scary gemmed magicker shrugs his shoulders deeply, drinking from a bottle of wine.

The scary gemmed magicker passes out because he totally has had too much to drink.

So wait, why should a magicker be more feared than anything else in the world of Zalanthas?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on June 25, 2008, 07:17:33 PM
So wait, why should a magicker be more feared than anything else in the world of Zalanthas?

Because just looking at one will make you have mutant babies which he will then steal and either eat for dinner, or make his slave. Every Zalanthan should know this.

I appreciate that you are all very impassioned about this topic.

Enjoy.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."