Typos and Commands

Started by Rahnevyn, June 12, 2008, 12:02:54 PM

Another thread got me thinking, so I thought I would pose a question to all of you.

What are commands you typo often that do something in the game you didn't intend to do? (Classic examples are "k"(kiss) instead of "l"(look), "hit"(hit) instead of "hitch").

What would you think about requiring that some commands be typed out in full (no abbreviation allowed), in order to reduce costly mistakes? I'm thinking this could be beneficial for some combat commands, or others that might have severe consequences (gather, for instance).

I make no promises this exercise will amount to anything, but your input is always welcome.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on June 12, 2008, 12:02:54 PM
What would you think about requiring that some commands be typed out in full (no abbreviation allowed), in order to reduce costly mistakes? I'm thinking this could be beneficial for some combat commands, or others that might have severe consequences (gather, for instance).

I think that would be spiffy. I don't see a downside...if you really mean to attack someone, then typing "kill" instead of "kil" or "ki" is not that much longer.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on June 12, 2008, 12:02:54 PM

SOME commands might be ok but I'm a bit leery of it... if it happened I'd probably alias it to what I was using before because I'm used to what I'm used to.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I'd say yes.

Basically anything that starts combat or can get a character killed...like incriminating someone to be wanted...or something like that.

I'd be fine with it, if people want to alias the commands and they typo, then it's your fault not mine.  And it's staying IC as far as I'm concerned.

But I'm a weird one that almost always types out fully every command.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I'd certianly like it if any magickal or combative command required a full typing out of the word.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

And any commands that are part of a different noncombat command...maybe we can change them...

like the hit /= hitch

Cause it doesn't.

Actually that's the only one I can think of...so...yeah.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Making 'k' default to 'key' instead of 'kiss' seems like a very good idea to me.

I sometimes type "inc" instead of "inv".  That's harmless, though.

Any command that enters combat should be typed correctly into the game, and leave it to the players to create aliases and macros to make it simpler.

The hitch / hit error should be removed, and I think that the best way is to remove the 'hit' command.  Maybe make it 'attack' or something.

Any command that changes your long description should be echoed back to the players, perhaps with a flag that removes that, much like combat brief, or emote brief.

Any command that obviously removes you from hide / invisible should be echoed back to you, again with a brief flag to remove spam.

That's a quick list.  I'm sure I have more.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

All of the magickal symbols are aggravating as hell to try and type in the heat of the moment.  "suk-karth...suk0krath...suk=karth...suk-krath herko...hreko...DAMN IT ALL TO HELL."

...which is why I'm fairly certain most people just use client-side aliases for those damned things anyway.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 12, 2008, 04:23:22 PM
All of the magickal symbols are aggravating as hell to try and type in the heat of the moment.  "suk-karth...suk0krath...suk=karth...suk-krath herko...hreko...DAMN IT ALL TO HELL."

...which is why I'm fairly certain most people just use client-side aliases for those damned things anyway.

um yes. or at least the 10 coded ones, if you're really hardcore.

Hell, with my last magicker, I had almost 150 spell-related aliases.

Multiple versions of each spell at all power levels. It got pretty epic.

Quote from: Agent_137 on June 12, 2008, 07:52:56 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on June 12, 2008, 04:23:22 PM

um yes. or at least the 10 coded ones, if you're really hardcore.

Heh, I've typed them all out. Due mostly to my total retardedness when it comes to aliasing and scripting and all of that. I have to say though, it can add some urgency to a situation by having to actually take the time to type out all that crap.

Besides, all my coded aliasing goes to important things, like opening and closing a pack and drawing weapons.  :D
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

K aliased to kiss made sense at the time.  However, if it wasn't aliased to anything, these days it would default to keyword, wouldn't it?  The command completer runs off alphabetical order, and k is closer to ke than ki.  Kiss is simply unnecessary now.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: Angela Christine on June 17, 2008, 05:11:20 PM
K aliased to kiss made sense at the time.  However, if it wasn't aliased to anything, these days it would default to keyword, wouldn't it?  The command completer runs off alphabetical order, and k is closer to ke than ki.  Kiss is simply unnecessary now.

Sure, but look at your keyboard. Kiss is in place because ki is right next to lo, so if someone has their hands misplaced...
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on June 17, 2008, 05:20:25 PM
Quote from: Angela Christine on June 17, 2008, 05:11:20 PM

Sure, but look at your keyboard. Kiss is in place because ki is right next to lo, so if someone has their hands misplaced...

Who types "lo"?  I've never in my life typed lo.  8)    It's either L or look, which leads to K or . . . kiij.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I've always had the problem with hit while trying to hitch my mount (it's cost me enough mounts that it doesn't happen anymore).

I've also been guilty of 'sl' (Sleep) when I meant to do 'l s' (look south).  Thankfully you now have to type out 'sleep' in order to sleep.  It's real embarrassing to fall asleep in the middle of the desert with my buddies for no reason (but you can blame it on mindbenders usually).
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Quote from: Angela Christine on June 17, 2008, 08:53:44 PM
Who types "lo"?  I've never in my life typed lo.

I have 'lo' aliased to "look out," which is invaluable to anyone who ever sets foot in a wagon.

I sometimes type lo. When I intend to type 'look' but then realise I don't have to, I can just type 'l'...so I stop mid flow. I've never kissed anyone -yet-, but I have had the "But who do you want to kiss?" message a few times.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 19, 2008, 08:17:10 AM
I sometimes type lo. When I intend to type 'look' but then realise I don't have to, I can just type 'l'...so I stop mid flow. I've never kissed anyone -yet-, but I have had the "But who do you want to kiss?" message a few times.

My characters tend to kiss whatever beasts they're hunting before killing them ... it's uh ... for good luck  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on June 19, 2008, 01:35:38 PM
Quote from: Maso on June 19, 2008, 08:17:10 AM

My characters tend to kiss whatever beasts they're hunting before killing them ... it's uh ... for good luck  :-\

My old character did that ALL the time.  Was awkward.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Tell me about it ... esp when it's a tembo or carru.

Quote from: musashi on June 19, 2008, 01:43:09 PM
Tell me about it ... esp when it's a tembo or carru.

Worse if it is a gith.

Yeah, the gith might kiss back  :-X

Quote from: musashi on June 21, 2008, 02:33:20 PM
Yeah, the gith might kiss back  :-X
Yeah, with an obsidian-tipped spear.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

The K for kiss or kill has always been a funny one... and yeah, also typing "sl" instead of "l s" and accidentally going to sleep from a standing position was a good one back before they changed it. 

Am I the only one left show types things out instead of using aliases?

just wondering...

-FW
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.