Parry basically gone from the game?

Started by Salt Merchant, June 09, 2008, 06:43:31 AM

Although it doesn't affect my current character, I was thinking of a previous one that spent quite a bit of time in the Byn, and remembered that there wasn't a whole lot of parrying happening, even when veteran warriors were defending against raw Runners.

What happened to the times when parry was a warrior's best friend?

EDIT: I did see parry get used effectively. Once. By an elven NPC.
Lunch makes me happy.

Nope. I parry quite a fair bit.
Quote from: Rahnevyn
QuoteWhat is the difference between a Highlord and Overlord?
OLs are like HLs on steroids. They make the Really Big Decisions that affect the course of the entire game.

I parry a lot.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on June 09, 2008, 07:56:35 AM

I parry a lot.

How would you define "a lot".

I remember a time when nearly every attack made on an experienced warrior would be parried.
Lunch makes me happy.

I'm no expert, but when you parry it means that the attacker's attack was accurate, but you defended. If the attacker was less experienced, they would have just missed. Maybe trying experienced warriors against experienced warriors would provide more parries.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

I have noticed that the chance to parry seems to have dropped just a tad, but I'm actually ok with that. For me, the more deadly combat is, the more realistic it seems to me.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

There was a fix about 6 months ago for certain guilds that didn't get the parry skill, but were still able to. Parry still works just fine, but only by those it should work for, and not as well as a using a shield to block.
Amor Fati

I had a HG that branched his parry skill not too long ago and although it made a huge difference his defense wasn't much better than the elf I'm playing now without the parry skill at all.

Agility is the best defence at the end of the day.  It's frustrating when you're playing an HG but for everyone else it's pretty balanced I think, especially with the other skills warriors get.

also make sure you don't have combat brief set to on. It doesn't seem like this is the case, but just be sure.

Since the "fix," I've branched parry with a class that branches parry, and even after countless combat encounters and practice, it never seemed to work worth a damn.

Of course, that probably has a lot to do with the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harry combative character now prioritizes strength....
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I had a 3-hour-old character in a parryless guild parry two attacks while fighting an animal. This was last week.

It's the exact opposite of most of the anecdotal evidence in this thread, but I found it strange nonetheless.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fnord on June 09, 2008, 10:24:58 AM
There was a fix about 6 months ago for certain guilds that didn't get the parry skill, but were still able to. Parry still works just fine, but only by those it should work for, and not as well as a using a shield to block.

No it doesn't.

Parry does not work as well...though I still have not decided if I think that is an improvement or not.

What is sad to me is since the shield fix, you cannot block any attack cept for weapons with a shield. And you cannot block ranged attacks with a shield unless you have the parry skill and have it worked up very high. And even then, A shield works no better to parry that arrow then a toothpick...I've tested that plenty. Parry/defense nerf, probly a good thing, shield fix broke more things then it fixed.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on June 12, 2008, 04:33:58 PM
And even then, A shield works no better to parry that

When was the "fix"?  'Cause I've seen that done pretty impressively, and not all that long ago.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

June 12, 2008, 04:53:57 PM #14 Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:55:52 PM by X-D
Brytta, the shield fix went in almost 2 years ago. One of the first things you would have noticed is that shield suddenly turned into a yes/no skill. When there used to be maybe. The next thing you would notice is that You could no longer block kicks. Yup, thats right, Even if you have a wall of a shield, you will never block a kick now. The next thing you will notice is that you no longer block any ranged attack. You did not see somebody "block" a ranged attack Brytta, you saw them PARRY the attack with a shield. Which is completly different.

IE, you now get the chance to parry ranged or dodge but not block. Used to be you had all three if you had a weapon and a shield out.

But the message "swipes at with" is parry, not block. Have somebody who has no parry skill hold a shield and you shoot at them, they will never attempt to parry the arrow, not with the shield, not with anything.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'd like to see a shield check to block kicks and projectiles.

My parry skill works fine.  There is one thing I don't like about parry though, and that is the fact that you can unrealistically parry some attacks from animals.  How do you parry the charging gores of a 1000lb. carru with horns or the snapping jaws of a tembo?  You can't really "parry" attacks like that.  You either dodge them or kill the creature first.

QuoteI'd like to see a shield check to block kicks and projectiles.

You can block projectiles with a shield, and it appears to be based on your skill.

But as X-D went through pains to point out:  you will block it with your shield based on your -parry- skill, -not- on your shield use skill.  I suspect that Sephiroto was suggesting that projectile-blocking checks with a shield should be based on either a) the shield use skill or b) some combination of parry and shield use, such that without the parry skill, an adept shield user would still have a reasonable chance of blocking projectiles.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 12, 2008, 06:29:10 PM
But as X-D went through pains to point out:  you will block it with your shield based on your -parry- skill, -not- on your shield use skill.  I suspect that Sephiroto was suggesting that projectile-blocking checks with a shield should be based on either a) the shield use skill or b) some combination of parry and shield use, such that without the parry skill, an adept shield user would still have a reasonable chance of blocking projectiles.

No, I've seen a character -block- projectiles with a shield. Using the block skill.

To be fair, I -think- the character was a special app, but I dunno.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Heh, I was only quoting X-D, as I rarely play warriors, and haven't played a non-HG warrior since the parry "fix."

Understood. It also doesn't invalidate what he says about the shield fix. There's a lot that needs to be patched in that patch.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

As far as deflectng arrows (with a shield or weapon ... though I would think a shield would be easier) I would personally like to see it changed so that it only happens if you happen to be watching the direction that the arrow came from.

I just feel like it's a bit much to assume that every character is always watching the horizon in every direction so as to see something as small as an arrow coming towards them from a long ways away.

Of course, I have no experience with the code, so for all I know it may already be like this, or be similiar to it.

/derail

I've also had my character parry even though they don't have the skill, more than once. But since I don't know what the "norm" for how often a character should parry is ... I can't really attest to how broken it may or may not be.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on June 12, 2008, 06:59:32 PMI just feel like it's a bit much to assume that every character is always watching the horizon in every direction so as to see something as small as an arrow coming towards them from a long ways away.

Armageddon is heavily influenced by D&D. In D&D, all creatures and PCs are constantly (and rapidly) spinning around during combat. See? It makes sense.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Mood on June 12, 2008, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: musashi on June 12, 2008, 06:59:32 PMI just feel like it's a bit much to assume that every character is always watching the horizon in every direction so as to see something as small as an arrow coming towards them from a long ways away.

Armageddon is heavily influenced by D&D. In D&D, all creatures and PCs are constantly (and rapidly) spinning around during combat. See? It makes sense.

Then can we have a whirlwind attack skill?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You have seen a projectile blocked with a shield in the last 2 years Tis?

See, in that time I've had some extremely long lived warriors,(as in well over 70 days) And they have been shot at and thrown at thousands of times, and seen other people thrown and shot at thousands of times, and I have not seen a single projectile block in that time, Parry, sure, do that all the time, no blocks.
Lizzie: