Taking out the trash...

Started by FantasyWriter, May 28, 2008, 03:02:01 PM

Ok, IRL I am very O.C.D.  I do my absolute best not to let it bleed over into my characters save one thing: Cleaning up after people.  I agree it adds to the game to have random things lieing around, but when you are out the west road from 'Nak and find ten piles of (certain animal parts).  Or can't go anywhere in the north without tripping over piles of sawdust, it seems rediculous.

>help junk
Junk                                                            (Equipment)

This command allows your character to destroy the named item. Once
junked, there is _no_ method of recovery, so use this command with care.
The item must be in your character's inventory for this command to work.

Syntax:
   junk <object>
   junk (preemote) <object>
   junk <object> [postemote]
   junk (preemote) <object> [postemote]

Examples:
   > junk helmet

> junk (handing it to a passing server) mug

> junk stone [^me eyes scanning around for more]

Surprise! it even works too.
Anyone else agree? or is it just my O.C.D.?

Oo Ooo.... lets not foget about mugs and shot glasses in the bar!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I suggest street-sweeping duty as punishment for naughty Legionnaires.

::)
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Hahahah I so have to agree. Maybe should make a dwarf with a focus to clean up the world or to teach others to pick up after themselves? Also saw dust you need a broom to clean up.

Think syntax is use broom sawdust.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

a little litter here and there is cool, it add some flavor. unrealistic shit like piles of animal parts that someone left because they just skinned the animal for XP is a little irritating when it's in large quantities.

Smart hunters bury their trash.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 02, 2008, 09:46:20 AM
Smart hunters bury their trash.

Or, take it along to use for bait for the next kill.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I won't lie - there are times when I wish the junk command did not exist. I think it is uber-realistic to have piles of junk lying about. In many H&S muds, you can not junk items. Any trash, instead, is picked up by a roving garbageman. I would actually love to see something like this in the new game.

As far as stones and such, I think it you drop a stone in the desert, it should have no long desc and not be visible unless you set a long desc for it. Seeing what is in the room as far as trash could be handled by a 'view trash' command.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 02, 2008, 10:34:55 AM
I won't lie - there are times when I wish the junk command did not exist. I think it is uber-realistic to have piles of junk lying about. In many H&S muds, you can not junk items. Any trash, instead, is picked up by a roving garbageman. I would actually love to see something like this in the new game.

As far as stones and such, I think it you drop a stone in the desert, it should have no long desc and not be visible unless you set a long desc for it. Seeing what is in the room as far as trash could be handled by a 'view trash' command.

I actually like the second idea about dropping shit in a desert alot.  It makes sense you wouldn't just see every fucking little thing in a room and the view trash would be awesome.  I don't know.  I think this would clean things up and make me happy.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I for one am 100% for Beastly Fidos in Allanak.

I am dead against the idea of roving garbage men, simply because it's really annoying when by some fluke you drop an item and the random garbage man in the room scoops it up, never to be seen again.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on June 02, 2008, 07:32:50 PM
I am dead against the idea of roving garbage men, simply because it's really annoying when by some fluke you drop an item and the random garbage man in the room scoops it up, never to be seen again.

Shit, we have NPC's that do that now.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

disagrees with original post.  Finds trash realistic.

Questions rp of people who try to "settle it IC."

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 28, 2008, 03:02:01 PM
Ok, IRL I am very O.C.D.  I do my absolute best not to let it bleed over into my characters save one thing: Cleaning up after people.  I agree it adds to the game to have random things lieing around, but when you are out the west road from 'Nak and find ten piles of (certain animal parts).  Or can't go anywhere in the north without tripping over piles of sawdust, it seems rediculous.

Surprise! it even works too.
Anyone else agree? or is it just my O.C.D.?

Oo Ooo.... lets not foget about mugs and shot glasses in the bar!

Finally!

This command has been elusive to me. Every time I've had an empty mug in the tavern, I've been forced to just put in on the bar because I didn't know the command. I see Amos nearby "discard" his mug, but the game tells me that "discard mug" is not a valid command! I try trash, dump, and every other synonym I can think of and still I'm left stumped. I look in the help files, but I don't know the command I'm looking for. "Help drop" and "Help put" don't link to "help junk," when they probably should. I don't know why I didn't think of "junk", I guess because in my personal valuable I use "trash" as a verb in the exact same meaning.

I think you'd see less trash is "discard" was a synonym to "junk," and you put "help junk" as a reference in the above mentioned files.

Some junk gives an idea of who or what has been here, lets you know whats going on, and helps create a scene.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

I agree that it adds to the word, but this is my complaint...

look
here lies many bloody piles off yaddayaddayadda
here lies some mangy jedi hides
lying here are several bodies too mangled to salvage anything from them

you think:
Not only did some fecker kill every beast for leagues and leagues, but he threw 'em all here to rub it in.

you think:
I hope they come across a plethora of rouge majickers that decide to use then as human gang bangee.

>:(

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

June 03, 2008, 06:30:12 AM #16 Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:34:53 AM by Yokunama
Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 03, 2008, 05:41:01 AM
I agree that it adds to the word, but this is my complaint...

look
here lies many bloody piles off yaddayaddayadda
lying here are several bodies too mangled to salvage anything from them

you think:
Not only did some fecker kill every beast for leagues and leagues, but he threw 'em all here to rub it in.

you think:
I hope they come across a plethora of rouge majickers that decide to use then as human gang bangee.

>:(

You hate spam?

It could be the work of a disease....
An effect of a ritual a group of rogue magickers are performing....
Might be the work of the Byn....
Could be a big feast....
Maybe the animals went to war with each other...

Could be anything.

I could see how it could create some gossip or even a little scare in local gathering areas....
The hunchback hunter exclaims, "I ain't seen that many dead critters liein' next ta each other."
The hunchback hunter takes a sip of his ale.
The hunchback hunter continues, "Must be a warnin' or somethin'. Keep yer eyes open an' yer mouths shut."

Since rooms do not update to show what has recently happened in the area, I think 'junk' is does enough when a player stumbles upon some.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Fantasywriter ... gotta fix your quote ... you're missing a [ at the beginning.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It would be cool if simdesert could be modified so that carnivores would eat entrails and remains.

I like all the dirty mugs on the bar.

Sawdust...I'd prefer it if we had a method beyond brooms to clean that business up, or if it would eventually blow away when outside...something akin to the way corpses disintigrate. That might be nice for the entrails as well. Those really bug me, for some reason. On the other hand when I'm being a ranger riding around, I feel foolish dismounting to squat down and bury someone else's bloody entrails.

I love trash!  Some of the best things my past characters have found were located on the rubbish (forgot the correct name :( ) heaps in Allanak!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I've heard rumors of a plan to make every room a save room in 2.Arm... is that true?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on June 25, 2008, 09:33:31 AM
I've heard rumors of a plan to make every room a save room in 2.Arm... is that true?

Not a rumor, I believe it's posted on the blog, if not it is somewhere here.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

June 25, 2008, 12:43:28 PM #22 Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:49:11 PM by Morrolan
Finding the "junk" command far too handy?
Wondering what the beggars live on?
I would like to propose the "Allanaki's to Use the Middens" movement.  Anyone else who has middens or wants to start them, please go ahead and show your solidarity!

Junk those crafting failures?  Nah, drop them in a midden on your way by.  Find junk lying around?  Drop that on a midden, too.

Let's try to use the junk command (with command emotes) to get rid of things realisticly as well.

So: junk mug [slipping it onto ~bar]

See you at the trash-pile!

Morrolan

P.S. to add: If you're too lazy to make it to the midden, just leave it on the street.  There's no "Have a hoot, don't pollute!" campaign in Zalanthas.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Do we also have a sith lord problem I'm unaware of?

Quote from: Ammut on June 25, 2008, 03:31:05 PM

Do we also have a sith lord problem I'm unaware of?

'tain't no problem with Highlord Tektolnes!
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot