What is Rich?

Started by jcljules, May 13, 2008, 06:06:11 PM

In Zalanthan terms, what is the sort of boundary line that makes your character rich? What amount of money does the average merchant have to have to be considered 'wealthy'?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

The ability to feed and clothe yourself daily, and not have to work for it?

When your money makes money, THEN you're rich...

I don't think there is any really specific value. Think that food is like 20 coins, and water is 30ish to SURVIVE a day... so as long as you've got enough money to last yourself a month, you're probably doing better than the rest of the population.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Rich is probably more sid than you need to survive from day to day. So if can afford food(more than need to survive) and water, have some left over would be rich.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Quote from: amish overlord on May 13, 2008, 06:21:10 PM
Rich is probably more sid than you need to survive from day to day. So if can afford food(more than need to survive) and water, have some left over would be rich.

Amish Overlord  8)

In other words, almost every single PC who has ever existed has been In The Money.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

May 13, 2008, 06:31:10 PM #4 Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:35:27 PM by manonfire
Being rich is the ability to drink one's milkshake, or a milkshake of another, using a straw that reaches acrooooooss the room.

Quote from: Tisiphone on May 13, 2008, 06:26:08 PM
Quote from: amish overlord on May 13, 2008, 06:21:10 PM

Amish Overlord  8)

In other words, almost every single PC who has ever existed has been In The Money.

Pretty much most PC's would be upper lower class/middle class/lower upper class when compared to npc's and Vnpcs. To be richs as player would say have good supply food/water(be it can afford), decent clothes and some sid in the bank for emergencies.

Amish Overlord  8)

Well.. it's been said before.. PCs will never reflect the majority of the population.

I often found it more hard to play poor person, trying to scratch by. Even my two beggars were not too horribly off.

Amish Overlord  8)

Quote from: manonfire on May 13, 2008, 06:33:57 PM
Well.. it's been said before.. PCs will never reflect the majority of the population.

Absolutely, and I'm not complaining. I just want that be to clear, financially as well as socially.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: manonfire on May 13, 2008, 06:31:10 PM
Being rich is the ability to drink one's milkshake, or a milkshake of another, using a straw that reaches acrooooooss the room.

Quoted for absolute-Truth
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I like playing paupers. Most of the time I junk my coin and start from the bottom, scavenging, stealing, looting the corpses and so on. Great fun! Especially in the rinth.

Did I hear somewhere that your starting money is a rough yearly wage for a commoner?

Maybe work it out from that.

I go by the generality of wealthy = silks.

There's rich and then there's rich.

Rich is generally being able to have more than enough money for what you need and some extra things.

RICH is being able to drop 5k+ on a bribe without batting an eye.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Sort of like the Chris Rock comparison:

A basket ball star is rich ...

The man who signs the basket ball stars' paychecks ... is wealthy.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

In Zalanthas, everyone is in the same income tax bracket.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on May 14, 2008, 03:59:34 AM
In Zalanthas, everyone is in the same income tax bracket.

The ... you have as many sids as the templarate say you do, bracket?

It is odd that rinthers start with the same amount of sid as a normal Allanaki citizen.  :-\

2k+ weekly income.

I HAVE SO MANY GOOD ANSWERS TONIGHT!

Wealth is defiantly relative in Arm.  If you have enough money/income to sustain yourself and have money left over for personal indulgences (within reason) you'd be considered well off by most commoner standards. 

Rich though?  No.  Wealth in my opinion is also dependent on your social standing as well.  Having enough money to impress a noble or a templar and to bribe them into your pocket is -much- harder to achieve.

There is always a divide between the old money and the new money.  Someone who is say a noble or a templar might lose sight of the value of cold hard obsidian money in favor of social standings, holdings (i.e. properties, slaves), and political influence.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on May 15, 2008, 05:43:53 AM
There is always a divide between the old money and the new money.  Someone who is say a noble or a templar might lose sight of the value of cold hard obsidian money in favor of social standings, holdings (i.e. properties, slaves), and political influence.

That was very well put. Thanks  :)

This becomes significantly less likely if you have enough to make up the difference. If you're offering Templar Hard Nose FIFTY TIMES AS MUCH 'sid - you know, regularly sinking 20k into his Nenyuk account - that evens things out a little.

May 15, 2008, 10:00:33 AM #23 Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:07:12 AM by musashi
In my economics class this past semester one of the things we studied was how money is spent, and why the distribution of wealth is important for a nation's well-being. One of the big reasons was that very wealthy people, loosely speaking, already have all of the things that money can buy, so if only wealthy people in a nation have the money, then the nation's economy runs into trouble because the money never goes anywhere. The rich folks don't spend as rapidly as the people on the bottom because they have what they want already in terms of material goods.

Again that's loosely defined.

I still feel that for Armageddon, Ender brought up the best way to define who is rich and who isn't.

Almost every PC will put a bit of money in the bank if they hang around long enough ... but the rich people, have the things money can't purchase.

I am in no way talking about love  :P

Quote from: Tisiphone on May 15, 2008, 09:00:34 AM

This becomes significantly less likely if you have enough to make up the difference. If you're offering Templar Hard Nose FIFTY TIMES AS MUCH 'sid - you know, regularly sinking 20k into his Nenyuk account - that evens things out a little.

If you have that much money to burn regularly I don't think anyone would question if you were rich or not.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.