What is Rich?

Started by jcljules, May 13, 2008, 06:06:11 PM

I do admit that some of my characters will not be willing to pay a bribe for something they didnt do, on matter of principal.  Though for the most part, if I was innocent, I would bring that up, then I would probably offer to compensate the soldier or templar for spending some of their time just to confirm that I am in fact innocent.  Most of my characters dont really do illegal things, so normal bribes to keep stuff hidden wouldnt be IC for them.   But I do agree that offering a bandit a few sid for his protection is wiser then the screw your, or run away instantly attitude lots of people have, and more fun besides.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

Read through most of the thread and it didnt look like anyone mentioned it.

My PCs have always equated wealth to more money than they could carry at one time.

They'd rationalize it as... if I can't carry all my money with me, I've made it... I have more money than I can literally bring with me, and am forced to use a bank, a stationary anchor in life, that then allows me to make more money, and continue to become wealthier.

Of course commoner rich and noble rich is different.

One PC could never hope to obtain the wealth of a noble house of 100s doing virtual business day and night with 100s more.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

You're rich when you no longer wonder if you're rich. If you think about money, you're not rich. If you see a huge, intricately carved wooden bed with a silk canopy, and say to yourself, "I need to find a place that sells those." instead of, "Krath! I bet that costs a fortune." Then you're rich.

I think there is a difference between being wealthy and rich.  If you're rich, you can buy food, water, clothing and housing without feeling too much of a pinch.  You probably already have income of some sort which helps keep you afloat.  Even a small time hunter, burglar or mercenary could eventually become rich if they made the right choices in the long run.

Being wealthy... now that is beyond rich.  You don't even think about money as an object you have to climb over to get what you want.  Money probably has always been in your family since ages previous and you've been born into it.  The wealthy of Zalanthas are the ones to fear.  Money = power...