City Elves in Tuluk

Started by mansa, April 28, 2008, 09:52:53 PM

I know players of elven characters who would disagree with you on many levels, Synthesis.

It's not really fair to compare the strength of a city elf to that of a dwarf, though.

You have to take into consideration the pros and cons that a city elf must deal with, in regards to both stat rolls and social perceptions.

Elves are by far my favorite race to play.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

Quote from: Eloran on April 20, 2009, 04:15:12 PM
I know players of elven characters who would disagree with you on many levels, Synthesis.

It's not really fair to compare the strength of a city elf to that of a dwarf, though.

You have to take into consideration the pros and cons that a city elf must deal with, in regards to both stat rolls and social perceptions.

I just finished playing a very skilled c-elf assassin with decent stats. Believe me, I know all the pros and cons.  Don't assume that because someone disagrees with you, they don't have access to the relevant facts of the matter.

I think it -is- fair to compare strengths, because strength is virtually the end-all, be-all of combat now.  Agility is definitely no substitute for it, even when it comes to my personal favorite skill.

There are zero reasons to pick c-elf, in my opinion, from a code perspective.  If you want to roleplay the part: sure, go ahead.  I think people should go in knowing that they will be at a rather severe disadvantage to every other race, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

As always Synthesis, you're absolutely right. Your experiences trump my own. Nevermind the fact that I've witnessed a city elf OHK with a single backstab on more than one occassion.

Yes, the defense nerf hurt.

No, the defense nerf has not made city elves unplayable.

Quote from: Eloran on April 20, 2009, 04:55:53 PM
As always Synthesis, you're absolutely right. Your experiences trump my own. Nevermind the fact that I've witnessed a city elf OHK with a single backstab on more than one occassion.

Yes, the defense nerf hurt.

No, the defense nerf has not made city elves unplayable.

Okay, man, whatever you say.

All the hyperbole on your part is just setting a bunch of newbs up for failure, though.

Me? I'll keep playing the humans and dwarves who teach those newbs what is -really- the case.

I'd expect no less from you, Synthesis.

Oh wait, I almost forgot for a moment that this game isn't just about coded prowess. Silly me.

Everyone seems to cop to the "but, but, but ROLEPLAY!" defense when they know I'm right, but can't bring themselves to admit it.

:-*

Quote from: Synthesis on April 20, 2009, 05:24:39 PM
Everyone seems to cop to the "but, but, but ROLEPLAY!" defense when they know I'm right, but can't bring themselves to admit it.

No, it's not that. Maybe we're just here for different reasons.

I've never played a c-elf and don't have any plans to play one in the forseeable future.  Giving a rating on what might draw me to try one sometime, I'd give souped up strength, the ability to OHK, nearly godlike ability to steal about 2/10.  I'd give a viable and interesting roleplay niche via a coded tribe about 7/10.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

I can't think of anything I've done in game that's really made me happy that had anything to do with the code, except for crafting until I had the skill to mastercraft an item.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Play nice.

I'm not in the mood for petty spats.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Quote from: jcljules on April 20, 2009, 05:48:57 PM
I can't think of anything I've done in game that's really made me happy that had anything to do with the code, except for crafting until I had the skill to mastercraft an item.

Ditto! Playing an elf to me, is all about the mindset. That is what sets them apart to me than the other races. Scratch the code.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

There are more reasons to play city-elves then one-hit-kills.

One Hit Kill.

This thread is about elves in Tuluk, not about Elves and their coded abilities.  There are other threads for that.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30454.0.html
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yes, one of the main points of this thread was playing City Elves in Tuluk.
Which got turned into a -you know what, there is a lack of "background/purpose" for them there, so I'll make a clan and give them reason - while ignoring the fact that the place they have been, and are much more suited too, remains broken, with a staff opinion that they will not be fixed in that area.

City-Elves are more suited to Allanak. They had an existing clan, that is just considered 'broken'. Im not all that partial to this idea, because it adds more to the game rather then fixing/addressing what is not working.

I, for one, am glad to see this happening. Especially for stone workers and masons, because it opens up all sorts of avenues for cheap (slave) labor on a giant statue of me to put next to the Ivory.

Seriously though, if this tribe can actually work together, be a part of the crafting community, take a niche market and run with it, and overall increase the C-Elf activity to something more than "the very tall figure sneakily moves south" in every room, I'm FOR it.

If I had the inclination or overall ability to be in the mindset for an Elf, Shal, it'd be an honor to be in your clan. That is, until it gets hopelessly borked because c-elves are not a perfect choice for warriors (apparently)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

My most dangerous PCs have been celfs.

April 20, 2009, 10:12:31 PM #92 Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:15:44 PM by Synthesis
Quote from: Turbomatic Tribal on April 20, 2009, 08:27:16 PM
My most dangerous PCs have been celfs.

I got 8 or 9 pkills with my c-elf...zero with my dwarf (in fact, I was ultimately pkilled by an elf).  I would -still- refuse to play the c-elf again.

The dwarf was -much- more dangerous, really. I just had zero inclination to be murderous, because I could you know, go and do constructive shit and be useful to people, instead of trolling the 'rinth looking for newbs to kill for money to survive.

Edited to add: Woah, big surprise there, right? I would rather roleplay than backstab newbs. I'm sure that's a bit of a shock to some of you.

Synth, you don't have to prove yourself. I love you unconditionally.

The first word to come to mind is "joke". Because this is one of the finest forms of staff pandering.
As I already said in an earlier post, rather than fix something that was admitted in this thread to be broken, the staff add something that again tips the player-base-scales in a direction that defies what the game has been for several years prior to the recent direction.

In this thread alone, the following things were discussed:
City elves in Tuluk
City Elves - in terms of the race alone and its place in the world
City Elves - role playability
City Elves - their prior existence in Allanak
City Elves - "being bloked"

And the following was decided:
-Rather than fix already existing framework for great role playability and placement in the world (i.e. the city elf tribe in allanak), more attention will be put on a brand new, and entirely (priorly) undeveloped sect of city elves in tuluk.
-Rather than address existing problems in the race and its existence in the two major areas of play, we will distract the public with something "new and exiciting" - i.e. a new tribe, documentation, interactions, and sponsered roles.

And to support all this, we will have the FASTEST turn around for a role-call... i.e, less than 48 hours to fill sponsored roles, for the aforementioned created fiasco.

To summarize-
An existing problem, acknowledged -in this thread alone- goes ignored. A new clan is created. A race is left broken. And a certain area is promoted above another.  And people say the favoritism argument is null and void?

Blah. That was my initial reaction too. But I'm happy with the way things are moving.

Give it a chance to work out. We can bitch about in three months if you've tried it and still doesn't work.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

The only thing wrong with celfs, imo, is that they lacked a clan they could join and be equals with most-everybody besides the Byn. (And even that was iffy because of the nature of contracts.) I don't see this as a band-aid fix, but the very fix that was needed all along.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Honestly, IMHO, playing an elf is about the roleplay. OK, maybe some of you enjoy the roleplay of being a badass warrior who can kill with one hit. Nothing wrong with that, it's normal. But if that's what you're looking for, you shouldn't be playing an elf. If you don't like the fact that c-elves don't like riding mounts or have an instinct to steal, then it's just not the race for you. It's like making a half-giant burglar and then complaining that half-giants can't steal. C-elves shouldn't be able to OHK backstab; just don't have the strength for it.

And the stereotype - that's fun. You can very well play a c-elf artisan or mercenary. Nothing stopping you. Overcoming the stereotype and getting people to trust you would be the very reason why I'd like to make a c-elf merchant. And having a compulsive instinct to rob a client would be all the more fun for it. I personally have made and would make more c-elf warriors for the sake of roleplaying an elf warrior.

This new clan looks like it'll help with things. It'll certainly be interesting and I'd love to watch this and see how it works.

BTW, I think there's a typo in the contact email on clan info. And it's interesting that they're using the desert elves email :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Ramblingman on April 21, 2009, 05:05:44 AM
The first word to come to mind is "joke". Because this is one of the finest forms of staff pandering.
As I already said in an earlier post, rather than fix something that was admitted in this thread to be broken, the staff add something that again tips the player-base-scales in a direction that defies what the game has been for several years prior to the recent direction.

In this thread alone, the following things were discussed:
City elves in Tuluk
City Elves - in terms of the race alone and its place in the world
City Elves - role playability
City Elves - their prior existence in Allanak
City Elves - "being bloked"

And the following was decided:
-Rather than fix already existing framework for great role playability and placement in the world (i.e. the city elf tribe in allanak), more attention will be put on a brand new, and entirely (priorly) undeveloped sect of city elves in tuluk.
-Rather than address existing problems in the race and its existence in the two major areas of play, we will distract the public with something "new and exiciting" - i.e. a new tribe, documentation, interactions, and sponsered roles.

And to support all this, we will have the FASTEST turn around for a role-call... i.e, less than 48 hours to fill sponsored roles, for the aforementioned created fiasco.

To summarize-
An existing problem, acknowledged -in this thread alone- goes ignored. A new clan is created. A race is left broken. And a certain area is promoted above another.  And people say the favoritism argument is null and void?

Would you like some cheese with that?

Perhaps this thread was poorly named.  As misleading as it sounds, the title is still apt, let me break it down for you.

"City elves" being a race of city based elves.
"in"  pertaining to their state of being
"Tuluk"   being the geographical location which is being discussed at this point.

If you would care to make a thread about "Oppressed, Unloved, Unwanted Elves of Allanak" then I advise you do so.  You can feel free to chat them up however you want.  In fact, please feel free to also make a "Sharp Ears Ignored In Cenyr" thread.  Maybe one about Steinal as well, while you're up to speed.

It is possible (maybe not probable, in your eyes) that the Staff could know more about the needs of the game than you do.  We focus our time and effort in improving the game as a whole.  It's what we are 'all about.'  It is, in fact, 'how we roll.'  It is our thing.  Our milieu.

Fact:   Before the new clan, there was one Tuluki faction that dealt heavily with elves, and had no background.
Fact:   There are two world spanning factions in Allanak which deal with elves, in play currently, which have long standing histories.
Fact:   There are problems with the southern tribe option as it stands.
Fact:   There are two elven factions who deal heavily with southern city elves.
Fact:   There have been many, MANY gangs and small tribes formed by elven players over the last five years, all of which have seemed rather enjoyable to the players involved.  The same has not, to my knowledge, occurred in Tuluk.

We took a long look at what the WORLD (not you, not several other players, but the world itself) needed.  It was determined that since Tuluk had never had a city elf faction, that one should be created.  One with a good history, roots in the community, and something that would fit in in Tuluk.  One which could include all manner of players, all interests of character, and help to bring elven society to life in a place where it had mostly been barren.

Here's an interesting quote:
QuoteTo summarize-

Seriously?  You're taking what I said here as literal?
QuoteYes, hopelessly borked, that's why they've been fine all these years.

It's okay, I love killing you too, Synthesis.

We'll see.

Or maybe here?

QuoteEdited to add:   Because Allanaki city elves are hopelessly borked.

Really?  I'm sorry if my sarcasm didn't bleed through.  Those responses were made in jest.

I realize you don't agree with what we've done.  That's tough.  Staff perspective is "what could improve the game as a whole" instead of "what could improve life in this one section."  That's exactly what has been done.

Sorry if you don't agree.
From the rest of them.
And protected them.

Quote from: SMuz on April 21, 2009, 06:50:33 AM
BTW, I think there's a typo in the contact email on clan info. And it's interesting that they're using the desert elves email :P

Not a typo, this is intended.  This doesn't mean they're desert elves, but just that they are tribal elves.  Changing desert_elves@ over to tribal_elves@ would make us lose a few reports, however it could be a good idea in the long run.  I'll open up the idea of changing the name to other staff members.
From the rest of them.
And protected them.