Shield Use / Two Weapon

Started by staggerlee, April 23, 2008, 02:35:42 AM

Quick mechanics question. I don't think it's a 'find out ic' thing, but I'll take my paddling resolutely and without complaint if it is.

If I wield two weapons, my character uses the 'dual wield' skill + weapon skill to determine accuracy, damage, etc.
If I wield a weapon and hold a shield in my off hand, my character uses the 'shield use' + weapon skill however.

If I wield a shield main hand, and off hand a weapon, am I correct in believing that the game is still using the 'dual wield' skill for purposes of mechanics and not 'shield use', or am I totally off base?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

The code tends to be pretty logical. Logically speaking, you're not using two weapons, therefore you are not dual wielding; and you are using a shield, therefore you are shield-using.

Code questions like this can appear to be skill-maxing questions and veer toward HnS, which is (I assume) why code discussions often are taboo and it's a "find out IC" issue.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on April 23, 2008, 03:33:31 AM
The code tends to be pretty logical. Logically speaking, you're not using two weapons, therefore you are not dual wielding; and you are using a shield, therefore you are shield-using.

Agreed.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on April 23, 2008, 03:33:31 AM
Code questions like this can appear to be skill-maxing questions and veer toward HnS, which is (I assume) why code discussions often are taboo and it's a "find out IC" issue.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have IC motivation for learning more about the coded aspects of the game, which could be as simple as playing a warrior wanting to learn their way around a shield.  ;)
Amor Fati

Quote from: Skill dual_wield
This automatically-used skill is invoked whenever your character fights with a weapon in his/her secondary hand (see help es). It represents your character's proficiency in fighting with two weapons.

Logic is flawed.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

logically, how would a shield on your primary sword arm even work? wouldn't it be clumsy and worthless?

i can onyl see doing that for training someone else, there's nothing useful even to be learned from such siliness.

April 23, 2008, 02:56:36 PM #5 Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:58:08 PM by Sanvean
Please do not discuss code mechanics on this board.  It ends up a) leading to too much temptation for people to do unrealistic things in order to up their skills and b) people posting mistaken impressions that then get promulgated. Thanks.

Sorry about that.  I suppose it doesn't matter, since it wouldn't affect my play much anyway. ;) 
Thanks for the judgement call on that.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Personally, I understood wielding the shield in primary hand and weapon in secondary as a 'defensive stance' so to speak. Meaning that you 'do' attack, but your primary tactic is to focus on blocking away the other's blades, and thrusting only when you get a nice juicy opening. No idea what it does code wise

That's the way I always play it too. Thought the implementation was a sort of rough and ready way to allow for two different styles of shield fighting.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)