Mounts, combat & stealth

Started by Jingo, April 07, 2008, 11:57:41 PM

It's been a while since I played an outdoorsy character.

I'm wondering if mounted combat is practical these days. It still seems like everyone dismounts while fighting. Are war-beatles the new kank?

Also, similarly I'm wondering if stealth on mounts is possible at all. Last time I checked, using sneak on a mount wouldn't work.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

You need a sneaky mount to sneak around while mounted.

April 08, 2008, 12:43:38 AM #2 Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:25:50 AM by Nyr
What's a sneaky mount? Without giving out IC information, [IC info removed by Nyr.]

Mounted combat is not bad. It's more of a support role due to the mechanics. I'm not sure "maneuverability" makes any difference. Sunbacks don't appear to make you more agile. Could be a bug or it could be the way it should work. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing sunbacks etc whip their tails in mounted combat. Something I believe is not coded at all.

[IC info removed by Nyr.]

The idea is to knock out the opponent so they are on the ground and very vunerable. I think if your charge succeeds you gain an advantage while the enemy gains a penalty which puts things in your favor even if you are mounted.

Some creatures I don't advise charging, some I do. I dismount for some. The help page explains that the larger your mount is as opposed to your opponent the more likely you are to charge them down.

That's my OOC advise. It's pretty obvious if you play a ranger to join a house early on and keep an eye out for lone hunters that aren't dying, or some top of the line rangers in your House.

I've taken players under my wing and they seem to enjoy learning.

My ranger is about 8 days played and has branched the ever living shit out of her skill set. I've had maybe four REALLY close calls (one with some like eight scrabs chasing me through the desert). It's not easy going alone and I really don't advise it until you can comfortable take on two opponents at once or know how to get away quickly: there are some tricks to the game you should pick up over time.

I can say this, [IC branching info removed]. It becomes a lot more strategic where you learn from your close calls and plan accordingly.

Never fight more than two opponents at once, mounted or not, I think only warriors can really pull this off.

sneaky mounts are pretty easily had. just look at the descs of various mounts. i'ts pretty obvious which ones might blend in and which ones sure as shit don't.

I edited a post in here due to it dipping into the range of IC info and locked this post to prevent further elaboration along those lines, as the original poster's question has been answered.

If it is something you can find out within the scope of the game and is not simply a syntax issue, you should NOT post it on the General Discussion Board.
This includes specifics about what mounts can do what, because your character could find this out in-character.
This also includes skills and branching information.  This is something that players should discover for themselves rather than on the General Discussion Board or in any OOC context.

When making a post on the forums, consider:  is this something that one can find out in-character?  If you aren't sure, don't post it.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.