Defense to disarm?

Started by racingspider, March 18, 2008, 07:06:26 PM

Hi! New here, loving the game.

I have a game mechanic question:
Is there any defense against Disarm?

I was dual weilding (Ranger) and was disarmed of both weapons in short order. I didn't realize I was disarmed and had to flee. Do they simply drop to the ground, or does the disarmer get them?

After looking at the help index, it seems like there isn't much in the way of defense (other than having higher skill maybe?).

Anyway, thanks, great game!

March 18, 2008, 07:11:30 PM #1 Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:13:21 PM by amish overlord
I think usually they fall to the ground, maybe end up in inventory, sometimes fly out of the room and into a nearby room. The opponent doesn't get it automatically, that I can think of. Defenses against not exactly sure probably hidden combat skills everyone gets maybe, if strong disarm skill yourself or parry. But unsure. Think also your proficiency with weapon affects so if good at using sword less like to be disarmed when using a sword, however if use a  club might be easier to disarm.

Edit: Oh and the helpfile itself

Skill Disarm     (Combat)

This skill when successful will knock your character's opponent's weapon from his/her hands. This is especially useful, since no weapon skills can be used without a weapon, thus putting your character (if successful) at a significant advantage.

Syntax:
    disarm <target>

Example:
    > disarm nessalin

Note:
    It is easier to disarm someone when they are wearing gloves.

Skills other than disarm can contribute to both sides of the contest.

Apparently wearing gloves gives a disadvantage.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

March 18, 2008, 07:15:05 PM #2 Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:17:45 PM by Southie
Common sense would also dictate that if someone has a two-handed grip on a weapon it's harder to disarm them. Pretty sure the code works that way.

For more advice I'd ask a veteran combat PC in game (for example, a Byn sarge) to teach you some tricks ICly.

P.S.: Welcome to the game!
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

That'll work. I'll find someone in game to help. :)

you should also know that disarm is one of the ways warriors kick everyone's but in melee. so there are some defenses....but it'll always be a weakness for you.

Don't go toe to toe with someone who can consistantly knock weapons from your hands.

Keep a large multitude of weapons on your person to draw a fresh blade then retrieve the dropped one if you're gutsy enough.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I wonder how well a cestus works in combat. At least you can't be disarmed wearing one (presumably)?
Lunch makes me happy.

Flee is the best defense on arm against warriors because as long as you're standing you can get out of ANY situation, no matter how tough they are.  Other than that get a moral victory by taking your beats with more style and attitude than he gives them or get a new tactic and be a dishonest cunt about how you fight him the next time.

Quote from: roughneck on March 19, 2008, 04:55:24 PM
get a new tactic and be a dishonest cunt about how you fight him the next time.

I like this. This is what I will have to do. :)

As a Ranger who eventually get poison (right?) I suppose that counts as 'dishonest' as well as hitting from range.

Anyone who sticks around for a stand-up fight in Armageddon just doesn't know how to get things done around here.

There are all sorts of defenses against a maxxed out warrior. My favourite one is friends. With enough friends, even a merchant can kill you.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on March 19, 2008, 10:47:02 PM
Anyone who sticks around for a stand-up fight in Armageddon just doesn't know how to get things done around here.

There are all sorts of defenses against a maxxed out warrior. My favourite one is friends. With enough friends, even a merchant can kill you.

With enough friends, a little punk merchant scared to fight, can have you and your entire trio killed in the desert in a quick screen of spam.

Warriors, BAH, fear the man with coin.

Quote from: Indy on March 19, 2008, 11:34:28 PM

With enough friends, a little punk merchant scared to fight, can have you and your entire trio killed in the desert in a quick screen of spam.

I second the person who seconded this.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on March 24, 2008, 04:25:52 AM
Quote from: Indy on March 19, 2008, 11:34:28 PM

I second the person who seconded this.

Dunno if a 100 merchants with daggers can kill that maxxed HG warrior roaming the sands bitting off heads ;)
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

No, but they can hire a unit of Bynners / pack of CAMmers / duo of badass Tuluki assassins / roving Kuraci outriders / paid-off templars.

Besides, you show me a maxxed HG warrior and I'll show you someone with entirely too much time even for THIS game.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I've seen "HG" before, wuzzat?

half-giant

Hehe can't even joke round folks?  ;) (and i knew of one, too recent for it to not be IC info technically)
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

I doubt very much if there has ever been a "maxed" HG warrior IG.

Hell, I've yet to see or have a maxed warrior of any race.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on March 28, 2008, 12:45:25 AM
I doubt very much if there has ever been a "maxed" HG warrior IG.

Hell, I've yet to see or have a maxed warrior of any race.

I do believe there was one maxed HG warrior, just by sheer age.. having been around for fucking -evvvvverrr-!
Or damn close...
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Not even close man, I'm like 99% sure had not even branched a weapon skill yet.

Maxing a warrior of any race is HARD.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

March 28, 2008, 02:17:40 AM #21 Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:20:27 AM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: X-D on March 28, 2008, 02:03:02 AM
Not even close man, I'm like 99% sure had not even branched a weapon skill yet.

Maxing a warrior of any race is HARD.

~eye twitch~
Positive.. Even if they been alive for like years? xD
Seen a PC that was alive since -my first ever- PC... Which was about 11 months ago.. Surprises me.. Oooooooweelll!!! :)

Whoa, Either way.. I could care less about maxing.. RP is what I play for, not to make a uber celf to kill all. ;)

Becoming "maxxed" is an impossibility when it comes right down to it.  Take into account that the better that you become, the harder it is to advance further.

If I had to gauge how long a "maxxed" warrior would need to play, I'd say an AVERAGE of 250 days.  That's time in the game, not RL time.  Lift your jaw, your mouth is open.

I've seen some pretty impressive PCs in my day too.  *coughthanoscough*
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 28, 2008, 02:17:40 AM
Seen a PC that was alive since -my first ever- PC... Which was about 11 months ago.. Surprises me.. Oooooooweelll!!! :)

I've seen one that was alive since -my first ever- PC...in late 2005, I think.
The long term players are crazy8)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

There are PCs who have been alive since 2001. Or sooner.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 28, 2008, 09:06:17 AM
Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 28, 2008, 02:17:40 AM

I've seen one that was alive since -my first ever- PC...in late 2005, I think.
The long term players are crazy8)

Hells yah....  But by now they are grandpa/ma and are not that much harm... Unless they got their cane, then run.. :P Hopefully their hips break.
Also.. This is a joke, you people that live longer then most of all my PCs put together... Well.. I love you? (Don't hurt me.) :P[/size

Quote from: Tisiphone on March 28, 2008, 10:23:48 AM

Active players? Because that is fucking insane. I'd be bored shitless with the same character for that long... How come these people aren't extremely well known in the game? And how can you not max a pc after that amount of time playing...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 29, 2008, 06:08:36 AM

Active players? Because that is fucking insane. I'd be bored shitless with the same character for that long... How come these people aren't extremely well known in the game? And how can you not max a pc after that amount of time playing...

At the very least semi-active players, yes. Most of them ARE well-known - in the right circles.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 29, 2008, 06:08:36 AM

He said maxxing warriors..

Who says they are not something else?