Any changes to hide?

Started by some guy, February 29, 2008, 02:02:15 AM

Have there been any changes to the hide skill recently? More specifically, anyone notice a succesful hide sometimes "wearing off" for no good reason, or people noticing you when you believe they shouldn't?

Some commands will unhide you, counterintuitively.

"eq" for example, is notorious for this.

If you have to check your gear, use "l self" instead of "eq."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Also just possible you're not as skilled as you think, or they are more skilled at spotting folks than you think.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

February 29, 2008, 02:45:38 AM #3 Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:09:24 AM by some guy
I know which commands normally break hide and how to gauge my character's proficiency fairly accurately, but thank you :)

I'm talking about, say, standing around hidden in a tavern while listening for half an hour, noone noticing you and no commands typed besides thinks and semotes (to which noone responds, another hint that you're hidden), when suddenly three people look up at you. Or knowing that you're succesfully hidden (there are ways to know) and then having a guy in starting equipment fresh off the Sanc look up at you in passing. Hide has always been very reliable, and these are things that I have never noticed to an excessive degree until just recently. Could be a fluke, which is why I didn't go OMG HIDE IS BROKEN, but it has happened enough lately that I thought I'd ask.

Quote from: BuNutzCola on February 29, 2008, 02:25:57 AM
Also just possible you're not as skilled as you think, or they are more skilled at spotting folks than you think.

Maybe, they didn't care to look at you when you first walked in and it sparked their interest when they saw you do something shady?

Doesn't sound like you were hidden.

But hell, maybe you were. I don't know.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Armageddon Home PageWeekly Update for week of February 4 to February 10, 2008
Code:

Steal/Hide fix -- Morgenes.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

perhaps things were made more realistic and you aren't hiding as well as you used to due to various reasons

Woot, if that is the case. I always thought hide was more overpowered than invisibility, and more unrealistically so.  :P

I would gladly accept "realistic" hide if I get a way for my PC to stay somewhat anonymous.

But about this topic, I suspect that some command now breaks hide where it didn't before, though I don't know which. That is if I haven't just been imagining things.

Based on some of my experiences in the last month, I'd say it's possible something changed.

It's also possible that we've ran into some bad luck.

:-X
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!