Racism vs. half-elves and elves

Started by Qzzrbl, February 06, 2008, 09:36:03 PM

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 08, 2008, 09:44:18 PM
They don't like each other either.

Exactly.... But I doubt many players would know that without reading the docs.....  :-\

Yes, but sometimes those who aren't on friendly terms will still unite against a common tormentor.

Although I suppose elves wouldn't really care so much about anyone except their own tribe, or group in the case of city elves.

Probably the main body of humanity with its Templars is simply stronger and more numerous.
Lunch makes me happy.

Well yes, of course sometimes it happens, but it's hardly natural or inevitable that distinct minorities even with a common oppressor will truly unite long enough to accomplish anything.

Also we must remember that most Zalanthans have a much higher tolerance for oppression than your average modern Earthling.

As for others siding with half-elves, I don't think it should happen often. Then again, even though half-elves are one of the most discriminated against races, there are just some breeds you don't want fuck with.

I remember a great example of prejudice from you.

You were playing a magicker but you were appalled by northerners and half elves and when ever my character pointed out that magickers were discriminated against too.  You would say yes but that's DIFFERENT. :D  Always stuck with me.  Thanks for being an example back in me newb days.

I like a little bit of prejudice, just not to the point where its like outright harassment, I'm going to kill you for being a breed kind of stuff.

Best time I had. Which was a few years ago, when I played a halfie that looked human. Living in constant fear someone would find out her dirty secret. :D
Totally fun.
The Duty Of The One Inspired By The Muse~
          ~~
So sleep now
my longing heart, do not worry I won't tarry.
We shall be together in your dreams,
to be happy and make merry.
               ~~

..I know.. I'm a romantic.. its disgusting..

February 12, 2008, 09:13:40 AM #56 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:31:46 AM by Greve

Quote from: Greve on February 12, 2008, 09:13:40 AM
Racial roleplay has always been hanging by a thread, some races moreso than others. City-elves and dwarves are the biggest culprits, with most of them being played as humans with altered stats.

Perhaps you could give some good examples of dwarven roleplay.

Do you view them as people with personalities or just mission-driven humorless drones?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 12, 2008, 01:35:54 PM

Do you view them as people with personalities or just mission-driven humorless drones?

Dwarves are not humorless drones, but they are mission-driven.  Each day will consist of tasks related to achieving their focus, as compared to other races which have the luxury of being able to shift priorities easily and quickly.  Working toward one's focus would probably be comparable with a job market that is extremely competitive and only those individuals that sacrifice much of their personal lives will ultimately succeed.  That doesn't mean they don't have personal lives, senses of humor, senses of morality, diverse personalities, or moments of weakness.

Dwarves appeal to me as a player because my personality is very goal oriented and focused.  I want to spend my time online making progress toward a series of short-term goals that work toward a long-term goal.  I feel that's similar to how a dwarf would go about their daily routine.  They would consider anything that didn't pursue their focus, directly or indirectly, a distraction and likely make all efforts to avoid or ignore it in lieu of more important tasks.

Other races would probably see dwarves as stoic or humorless because they aren't prone to distractions or activities that didn't somehow impact their end goal.  That doesn't mean a dwarf doesn't find things funny or amusing, but that most races would mistake their generally driven natures to be devoid of humor because they aren't willing to participate in activities those races might consider normal or fun.  Dwarves are biologically wired to be task oriented and extremely focused, it isn't a personal choice or a decision any more than cats grooming themselves is a personal choice or decision -- it's what they do.

Those are a few traits that I consider to set dwarves apart and can lend them a humorless quality.

-LoD

February 12, 2008, 10:30:49 PM #59 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:31:37 AM by Greve

I really cannot speak for other dwarf players. BUT. I've played some VERY goal focused dwarves. And most of them, unless your pc  in some way matters to his focus (for or against) You very likley will never have a clue what it might be.

As a matter of fact, I've found that Often then best way to make sure you DON'T complete your focus is to let it be well known what it is. Not to mention. The focus might just be "Live like any other human" Or "Kill senior agent Blah" which means " Work for this clan in order to get close to senior agent Blah and choose the perfect moment."

Much of dwarven RP  is internal, Same as a well played Mul, Half-elf and other things.

I've seen very few of what I would call poorly played dwarves. And though I'm not staff, I think nearly all my karma was from playing dwarves, so I have a good idea what I'm talking about. If you somehow manage to become really close friends with a dwarf and really pay attention you might be able to figure out his course over time...Just don't think you are  safe, if you get in his way...He will remove his own mother if need be."
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteLOD wrote:
Dwarves appeal to me as a player because my personality is very goal oriented and focused.

LOD is a dwarf in real life.  He just isn't short and hairless.   8)

As for racial hatreds and preferences, Alot of the so-called racial hatreds are generated by some very real concerns over trust.
Humans don't like elves on average because elf=thief to them.  Particularly in a city mind-set, but generally any human would have this notion.
Elves don't like humans on average because (for a city elf) humans represent the dominant power paradigm and are intolerant and stupid (easy marks for the pilfering test of one-upmanship),
and desert elves tend to view humans as a scourage.  Particularly city humans.
Neither full blood race likes half-elves on average because they represent impure blood.  They aren't considered viable mating material by either race for the same reason.  Trust for most in Zalanthas is deeply rooted into how closely alike another is to 'us', and also on stereo-typed roles certain races have.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 12, 2008, 01:35:54 PM
Quote from: Greve on February 12, 2008, 09:13:40 AM
Racial roleplay has always been hanging by a thread, some races moreso than others. City-elves and dwarves are the biggest culprits, with most of them being played as humans with altered stats.

I have never played a dwarf myself.  I have seen some excellent examples of dwarven roleplay.  I won't give away examples, as they are not my stories to tell.  I have seen long-lived dwarves who had made their focus more or less clear without ever once talking about it.

Examples exist out there.  And kudos to all of you who have done it.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I suggest a good way to begin is simply to have your human character feel superior to the breed. Then let your character's action flow from there based on his or her personality. Does she get sarcastic easily? Then she might aim cutting remarks at the breed. Does he comfortably dismiss everything from an inferior as beneath his notice? Then he might simply ignore the breed if addressed. And so on.
Lunch makes me happy.