Racism vs. half-elves and elves

Started by Qzzrbl, February 06, 2008, 09:36:03 PM

February 06, 2008, 09:36:03 PM Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:43:44 PM by Vanth
Why does everyone have to defend half-elves and elves?

That makes rping racism so hard in this game....

[title edited by Vanth to be clearer what the thread is about]

Yeah... I had a hard time with that, too.  The last three times in a row that I dis'ed some sleazy Breed in public I about got gang-raped by his human friends.  Or friends of his friends who were around.  Or employers, employees of his friends who once came rushing up drawing weapons because I insulted someone's best buddy--- the stinking half-elf.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on February 06, 2008, 09:52:12 PM
Yeah... I had a hard time with that, too.  The last three times in a row that I dis'ed some sleazy Breed in public I about got gang-raped by his human friends.  Or friends of his friends who were around.  Or employers, employees of his friends who once came rushing up drawing weapons because I insulted someone's best buddy--- the stinking half-elf.

Seeker

Yeah, that's exactly what just happened to me.

People.

Why, why! WHY?!? Do you do this?!

Because that guy over there is my whipping-breed. Y'all can find your own.

Quote from: jstorrie on February 06, 2008, 10:19:30 PM

Best. Answer. Ever.

Also, new character idea.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Because, to reference another of my recent posts...

the benefit of hating on breeds and longnecks is minimal (personal satisfaction in following the spirit of the game) and the detriment of hating them could be substantial (now you have someone who is probably some sort of criminal anyway out to get you).  Ergo, it makes much more sense to try to be the friendly exception, so you can avoid the detriment, and have a buddy who can possibly get you illegal stuff.

But, you know...that's just me being cynical.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: jstorrie on February 06, 2008, 10:19:30 PM

I could totally live with that.  And grin.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,

Don't be dissin' that elf, now, boy, he probably has more friends than you do on AIM.   :P
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

To be fair, the tone of your racism roleplay might have something to do with it.

If you're at a table with a breed and his employers/coworkers and you mess with him for being a breed, that's one thing. If you overtly threaten bodily harm, it could also be seen as a threat to the organisation as a whole.

They might not be defending the breed, per se, but leader PCs are almost always under at least a little bit of pressure to not make it look like they let their minions get kicked around.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Seeker]Don't be dissin' that elf, now, boy, he probably has more friends than you do on AIM.

I'm usually not one to defend elves IG, but you should keep in mind that a substantial group of criminals generally has the back of that "longneck". Virtually, most elves have tribes. That doesn't mean human PCs should get involved. But elves also have ways of making friends; it's part of being devious.

February 06, 2008, 11:23:00 PM #10 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:36:18 PM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Fathi on February 06, 2008, 10:58:37 PM
To be fair, the tone of your racism roleplay might have something to do with it.

If you're at a table with a breed and his employers/coworkers and you mess with him for being a breed, that's one thing. If you overtly threaten bodily harm, it could also be seen as a threat to the organisation as a whole.

They might not be defending the breed, per se, but leader PCs are almost always under at least a little bit of pressure to not make it look like they let their minions get kicked around.

Oh, no. No threats were made. Only declining a job on the grounds that one would have to work along side a breed. No previous employment neither.

"Hey, you wanna work for us?"

"You work with elves and breeds?"

"Yes."

"Then no."

"Why, because we work with breeds and elves?"

"Exactly."

"Grawr! I wanna fight you!"

That's pretty much how it went down.

So tell all your friends and drag their name through the mud.  Bad enough that they hire  them without being proud of it.
Then if you're still feeling fiesty, go knife a breed whore in an alley and leave his body in front of the "breed lover's" establishment.

I fail to see the problem.   ::)
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

February 06, 2008, 11:49:07 PM #12 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:50:44 PM by Kalden
Really, these things should be settled IC. Hire a templar, or an assassin.

I guess that would be "overkill"... *sighs*

I think it would also depend on the job. I mean, if there's an established clan, with a commonly known history of hiring elves and breeds, then the guy applying for the job shouldn't even be asking that question. In fact, he shouldn't be asking for a job with that clan in the first place, because obviously in his mind, he is "too good" for that clan. Of course that would be entirely wrong, until he can prove otherwise, because they wouldn't be established clans with commonly known histories of anything if they weren't already superior than him.

Once again though, that's one of those things the *players* should know about certain IC things, that aren't necessarily documented. It makes them look foolish, or "roleplaying wrong" when they find out IC something their character would have known for decades before his player logged him in for the first time after getting approval to play it.

The thing about this though, is it's a slippery slope. If this is one of the Greater Merchant Houses, then it's probably a job that most commoner hunter/crafter types would not turn down. They would be glad to have the support of the GMH, glad to have a group at their backs, a regular salary, food, water, a bunk to sleep on. Even an elf-hater could figure out a way to put aside his hatred, or justify a job like that. Maybe instead of asking "do you hire elves and breeds" ask instead, "Would I be required to work beside elves and breeds, or protect them?" Because hey - just because GMH#1 hires a breed doesn't mean you will ever be ordered to deal with that breed. They might separate you and put you in a group of all-humans. Or all-dwarves. Or whatever else. Maybe they've noticed a lot of other humans in their clan grumbling about having to work with breeds and elves, and create a new unit just for that purpose.

If it's the Tzai Byn, they're mercenaries. A merc will work for whoever pays him. If he's capable of doing the job, and there's money in it for him, he won't care who he's doing it for, or with, or even against.  If your character wasn't willing to do that, he shouldn't have applied for the job.

If it's an non-established clan, never mind :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 07, 2008, 08:13:03 AM #14 Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:16:32 AM by Folker
Quote from: Lizzie on February 07, 2008, 07:54:40 AM
If it's an non-established clan, never mind :)

Folker groans, slapping the side of his face with his palm.

Yeaaaaaah.

Thankfully, in my experience Templars tend to always prefer full humans, no matter how filthy, to breeds. And if the group tends to defend breeds a lot, usually they'll run in some sort of problem. Things get complicated if the group's actully useful and without HQ. But complicated isnt impossible.

Quote from: staggerlee on February 06, 2008, 11:45:07 PM
So tell all your friends and drag their name through the mud.  Bad enough that they hire  them without being proud of it.
Then if you're still feeling fiesty, go knife a breed whore in an alley and leave his body in front of the "breed lover's" establishment.

I fail to see the problem.   ::)

2 hour character.  So not really many friends, or chance of winning a fight against anyone. Wouldn'tve really been in his character to fight them anyhow.

And the guy just kinda lumbered into the tavern and made an all-call for anyone was looking for work, not part of any real cocded-clan to my knowledge.

And I didn't really ask, "Do you work with elves and breeds." That really wasn't actual dialog.... It was a lot longer than that and I didn't feel like typing it up.

o-O

Bleh I dunno.... I just felt like ranting about it.

I get tired of seeing no IG racism, just kinda seems like I'm the only one who bothers with it anymore.

Well don't forget also, that hunting groups have leaders who are usually looking only for the following:

Someone who already knows how to use a weapon, ride a mount (or run without needing one), and pick out appropriate armor for himself (meaning, usually not a brand-spanking new newbie player who they'd have to spend time teaching about syntax and commonly known geography).

Someone who is useful, but expendable (meaning, appropriate coded and non-coded skills for the job, but no one with -too- much usefulness, because then they're a threat to the leader's position. Someone no one would miss too much if they got killed off.)

A city-bound sneaky group would likely -want- the more unscrupulous types - breeds and elves, because they would fit in better with some of the unscrupulous types a sneaky city group would want to infiltrate. On the other hand, a city-bound sneaky group wouldn't be announcing an "open call" on potential hirelings, so I'm guessing it wasn't that :)

In either case, it spells breeds and elves. Humans are valued higher than breeds, even to elves. And generally speaking (with exceptions) the overall populace values humans above elves. So the elf and the breed would be more expendable, to a group leader. Of course he's going to hire them, they can act as shields, or bait, be set the riskier tasks, because if they get killed, no biggie.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Well I wasn't privy to the scene, nor do I want more detail (you really shouldn't be talking about something that happened recently on the boards at all, you should email the staff if you have serious concerns)...

...but I think people often fail to make a distinction between doing business with an undesirable person (elf, half-elf, magicker, foreigner) and being social buddies.  Perhaps (and again, I wasn't there so this is pure conjecture) they were not sticking up for their point-eared friends but instead were just making fun of you for turning down a good opportunity just because you might have to stand next to a sharp sometimes.  These types of people are around you all the time, though.  They pour you drinks, sell you stuff in the bazaar, bring in raw materials that become your equipment, and so on.  Just because they're useful doesn't mean you like them, or they're your friends, or equals in any way.

I don't think people should really have any qualms with being seen doing business with an elf (though undoubtedly they would be careful not to get ripped off).  Likewise, there shouldn't be much of a problem working for an organization that makes use of them either.  GMH employees, as has been said, command a lot of respect even though they'll take all species.

Though I should also say that human employees of mixed-race or otherwise unusually tolerant clans should probably think twice before sticking up for a sub-human employee.  It's not an automatic slight against the house if someone makes fun of a half-elf hunter employee.  As long as things aren't turning violent (threatening useful assets) and people aren't insulting the house directly, there isn't much reason to get involved.  Heck, maybe you (as a coworker or superior) should scold the half-elf for getting the decent folk all riled up.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 07, 2008, 09:37:00 AM
(you really shouldn't be talking about something that happened recently on the boards at all, you should email the staff if you have serious concerns)...

Eh... You're right.

In some cities, and within those cities in some bars, halfbreeds, elves and other scum are extremely common to be seen. Humans who frequent there are most likely aware of this and will, depending on their social status, react accordingly. The lonesome human dude with no clan or friends behind him might weight his reasons for frequenting such a place, and decide to for the most part just ignore the scum there as long as they leave him alone. Who knows, the scum might be there in groups, and lonesome human dude possibly heard wild stories about crime and murder in that place.

Now the human in a large clan who goes there with a bunch of buddies could be an entirely different case. Maybe they even want to start a bar-fight with some halfbreed no one cares about, they outnumber him and his friend who might be lurking nearby. If things get out of hand and a templar shows up, the group of buddies in their large clan can be decently sure that the templar will care more about them than the stinking halfbreed, no matter who started the fight.

The single human who is of a high social rank and also happens to be a veteran warrior might feel more confident in publicly picking on anyone who is not human, and appears to have no backup. Maybe even if they have backup.

The average Joe human might act friendly towards one or two specific elves / halfbreeds if they have saved his life, or otherwise greatly helped him in the past, while still hating the rest of the stinking bunch.

Overall, I believe that in many places elves and halfbreeds are so commonly seen that humans wouldn't pick on them all the time, or show open hatred, but rather just not give a toss until they are specifically bothered by one of those lowly creatures.

Right. But is it okay for a human to start a fight with another human because human A openly dislikes halfbreeds?  ???

February 07, 2008, 11:53:43 AM #21 Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:55:24 AM by Akaramu
Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 07, 2008, 11:49:08 AM
Right. But is it okay for a human to start a fight with another human because human A openly dislikes halfbreeds?  ???

We don't know the exact circumstances of that and are not supposed to know, email the staff if you haven't already  :)

That will probably be most helpful for you.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 06, 2008, 10:48:22 PM
Because, to reference another of my recent posts...

the benefit of hating on breeds and longnecks is minimal (personal satisfaction in following the spirit of the game) and the detriment of hating them could be substantial (now you have someone who is probably some sort of criminal anyway out to get you).  Ergo, it makes much more sense to try to be the friendly exception, so you can avoid the detriment, and have a buddy who can possibly get you illegal stuff.

But, you know...that's just me being cynical.

The economics of cost versus benefit in social interactions is a hard subject to pin down.  The primary problem in this game is that humans and elves are supposed to have a long history of conflict, which most players can't get a good grip on unless they've played a fair amount of time.  Humans don't hate elves because they are an inferior race, that's just a concept invented to justify their hatred.  The hatred comes from the fact that they just can't trust elves on account of competing interests.  Half-elves aren't trusted by either parent race in large part because neither can be quite sure where their loyalties are.

Humans and elves should continually backstab each other because sooner or later it comes down to a choice between siding with a human or siding with an elf.  Most will typically side with their own race because it's simply more likely they have similar goals.

Now, if more players could see this situation from this point of view, then there might be a more even distribution of racist-type behaviors.  The exceptions, then, might be more profound in their development.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 07, 2008, 11:49:08 AM

Yes. And/or, no.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

It's "OK" to start a fight about anything you want. The outcome of the fight may not necessarily be favorable to your character. But that is "OK" too.

I think it's important not to assume that because a human character won't let you beat up / insult / otherwise abuse a half-elf character...then they must be a documentation-ignoring jerkwad. There is probably more going on than you see or know.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 07, 2008, 02:41:53 PM
It's "OK" to start a fight about anything you want. The outcome of the fight may not necessarily be favorable to your character. But that is "OK" too.

I think it's important not to assume that because a human character won't let you beat up / insult / otherwise abuse a half-elf character...then they must be a documentation-ignoring jerkwad. There is probably more going on than you see or know.

That's much like what I was getting at in a round about way. Don't assume anything about their intentions but rather react as you feel is appropriate for your character.  At the very worst you'll stir up trouble and get some conflict rp out of it.

Realize ooc that you don't know the whole story, but don't feel pressured to realize that ic. 

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Steering away from any particular incident, I still maintain (from my own interactions) that lipping off prejudicially to a PC half-elf (even one who appears unclanned) is much more likely to gather a posse gang-raping devoted friends, friends of devouted friends and rabid, equality-minded busybodies than not.  And I freely admit I don't know the entire story behind all the persona involved.  I freely admit my style of verbal smack-down to Breeds might encourage it.  I -intend- to be nasty, superior and bigoted to them.  Not sorry.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,

Quote from: Seeker on February 07, 2008, 03:48:45 PM
Steering away from any particular incident, I still maintain (from my own interactions) that lipping off prejudicially to a PC half-elf (even one who appears unclanned) is much more likely to gather a posse gang-raping devoted friends, friends of devouted friends and rabid, equality-minded busybodies than not.  And I freely admit I don't know the entire story behind all the persona involved.  I freely admit my style of verbal smack-down to Breeds might encourage it.  I -intend- to be nasty, superior and bigoted to them.  Not sorry.

Seeker

Yes, there may be justifications for why and how and so forth. All that said, I think the post can serve nicely as a reminder to all of us that breeds are inferior, and if you're palling around with them, you're inferior and there is something wrong with you. And if you're employing them, you look inferior for doing so. As long as we can all bear that in mind we should be good.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Barzalene wins. You people should be ashamed to try and defend such behaviors, ashamed, I say!

You always have a reason as to why you're flirting with the gemmer, as to why your mate is an elvish beauty, as to why you're
quick to come to the defense of that poor breed who's being insulted.

Trouble is that too many of you have a reason for everything, and in your mind, it's always the most clever reason and it hasn't been done before.

Wrong! You're the reason why people can't play by the docs, you're the reason why you all complain that Armageddon isn't harsh anymore, you're the reason why nobodoy seems to care anymore and we all play to be buddies with everyone else.

There, I said it. You can all thank me later. Now go slap a breed behind the head for me and cheer for Qzzrbl because at least he tried.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on February 07, 2008, 06:41:00 PM
Barzalene wins. You people should be ashamed to try and defend such behaviors, ashamed, I say!

You always have a reason as to why you're flirting with the gemmer, as to why your mate is an elvish beauty, as to why you're
quick to come to the defense of that poor breed who's being insulted.

Trouble is that too many of you have a reason for everything, and in your mind, it's always the most clever reason and it hasn't been done before.

Wrong! You're the reason why people can't play by the docs, you're the reason why you all complain that Armageddon isn't harsh anymore, you're the reason why nobodoy seems to care anymore and we all play to be buddies with everyone else.

THANK YOU!

You're just a breed in disguise Qzz...  I'll make sure to slap you the next time I see you.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on February 07, 2008, 07:07:18 PM
You're just a breed in disguise Qzz...  I'll make sure to slap you the next time I see you.
That's right! And I'll piss on your boots and run away like the scuzzy little breed I am!

And then go off and wallow in isolation and self-loathing for a couple months after the whole ordeal.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,

Quote from: Seeker on February 07, 2008, 07:34:27 PM
And then go off and wallow in isolation and self-loathing for a couple months after the whole ordeal.

Seeker

And I, as a reasonably responsible player, will play this out accordingly. Because such things are written in the documentation and I realize that if I don't want to rp self-loathing and isolation, then I just won't create a half-elf....

You can be racist without gettin' kilt.

Maybe you can work with them but call them degrading names, play pranks, refuse to eat/drink after them or at the same table.  It might catch on.  This is one of the places I do think you can really play what you want to see.

Quote from: Bebop on February 08, 2008, 11:22:39 AM

Maybe you can work with them but call them degrading names, play pranks, refuse to eat/drink after them or at the same table.  It might catch on.  This is one of the places I do think you can really play what you want to see.

This is about it.  Racism in real life isn't generally horribly explosive confrontations.  It's more like snickering, quite jibes and more importantly exclusion from certain places, social scenes, jobs and so forth.

What I'd recommend, and I've seen this done ic, is basically what Bebop says.  Low level racism. The explosive stuff comes out when something goes wrong. Bait them, harass them and be an ass whenever you can get away with it and if you see someone else doing it, quietly sympathize with them.  Find them through the Way and say something like "I know how you feel brother, I wish someone would do something about those damn breeds huh?"  That way you get rp and make connections with the other people who feel the way you do, without putting yourself out on a limb. And in the meantime you're hating on them in a way that doesn't forcefully exclude them or make them solo rp.

The real explosive racism comes when things go wrong, that's when you get the lynch mobs shouting for blood.  Breeds getting executed because someone had to take the fall for that murder, and he happened to be passing by. Whatever. That's not a day to day occurrence.  Settle for bitching about breeds taking the jobs of good nakki citizens in the mean time.

Quote from: staggerlee on February 08, 2008, 11:34:03 AM

This is about it.  Racism in real life isn't generally horribly explosive confrontations.

Back in the day it was.

February 08, 2008, 06:32:41 PM #38 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:36:13 PM by staggerlee
Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 08, 2008, 05:14:20 PM

This is about it.  Racism in real life isn't generally horribly explosive confrontations.

Back in the day it was.

I thought someone would try to call me on that. But frankly, no. If you have a specific example you'll have to explain, because "back in the day" is kind of vague.

My argument would be that societies tend towards an equilibrium and stability, with occasional outbreaks of conflict.  Constant conflict isn't really sustainable.  Having a race or group within society suffer from extreme discrimination and segregation is one thing, all out war between two races that live in the same place is something else entirely. 

But if you have a more specific example you're welcome to hit me up here or take it to private messages.

The way I see it, constant open conflict between half-elves and everyone else would lead to there being no living half-elves in Nak, there's no reason the powers that be would tolerate that. We're talking about a very powerful totalitarian state here.   Rather half elves exist as a sort of underclass with negotiated boundaries, they get shitty jobs and poor treatment but if they don't cross the line  they (usually) won't get worse than a nasty attitude.

February 08, 2008, 07:00:08 PM #39 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:14:41 PM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: staggerlee on February 08, 2008, 06:32:41 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 08, 2008, 05:14:20 PM

Back in the day it was.

I thought someone would try to call me on that. But frankly, no. If you have a specific example you'll have to explain, because "back in the day" is kind of vague.

My argument would be that societies tend towards an equilibrium and stability, with occasional outbreaks of conflict.  Constant conflict isn't really sustainable.  Having a race or group within society suffer from extreme discrimination and segregation is one thing, all out war between two races that live in the same place is something else entirely. 

But if you have a more specific example you're welcome to hit me up here or take it to private messages.

The way I see it, constant open conflict between half-elves and everyone else would lead to there being no living half-elves in Nak, there's no reason the powers that be would tolerate that. We're talking about a very powerful totalitarian state here.   Rather half elves exist as a sort of underclass with negotiated boundaries, they get shitty jobs and poor treatment but if they don't cross the line  they (usually) won't get worse than a nasty attitude.

Oogetyboogetyboo, I probably could've went without posting this one.

Absolutely.
That's one of the "occasional outbreaks of conflict" that I mentioned. I won't dispute that they happened (and continue to happen), even with a disturbing frequently.  But regardless of frequency or intensity those are spikes and not every day behavior.
Everyday behavior would be characterized more by repression than outright violence.

I hope I'm not offending anyone. I don't think we need real life accounts of terrible brutality. The difference between in game discrimination and real life discrimination is a huge chasm. One is tragic and an abomination that requires mental contortions to justify, the other is prescribed in the docs and makes a pretend world a richer place.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

You're absolutely right. I was trying to stay away from specific examples as best I could, but the topic was bound to generate them.  Sorry about that.
Qzzrbl, or however you spell that, if you're actually interested in discussing this you're welcome to take it to private messages, but I'm going to shut my mouth now. ;)

February 08, 2008, 07:14:10 PM #43 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:16:57 PM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Barzalene on February 08, 2008, 07:06:17 PM
I hope I'm not offending anyone. I don't think we need real life accounts of terrible brutality. The difference between in game discrimination and real life discrimination is a huge chasm. One is tragic and an abomination that requires mental contortions to justify, the other is prescribed in the docs and makes a pretend world a richer place.

True enough.... But he did ask for an example. -shrug-

On to something else.... I'm not saying breeds and elves should be beaten on a regular basis or anything, I just get sick and tired of people completely ignoring the docs and playing interdependent half-elves and the bleeding heart humans/kank-riding elves that befriend them without a second thought.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 08, 2008, 07:14:10 PM
breeds and elves should be beaten on a regular basis

I am in complete agreement.

That's the thing. I was nearly put in a position in which I might've been killed for just that, subtle racism.

But you know, if you look at racism in the US...blacks and whites did interact, did work together, did shop in the same places and so on. You wouldn't have found too many white women in the US south at the time who said outright, "No black woman is going to come clean my house!"...because that was work that was considered suited for the other "race."

It's possible to consider and treat someone as inferior, while still not abusing them outright, is my point. That doesn't mean outright, vicious abuse shouldn't happen...but a low-level haze of an assumption about their inferiority is much more believable and workable.

Employ half-elves...but don't treat them as well as your human employees. Buy everyone at your table a round, including the half-elf...but make sure the half-elf is served last. Drink an ale with a half-elf...but don't fall in love with them. Talk to a half-elf...but don't hold the conversation as if they were your equal.

Etc.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

As I think I pointed out in a thread last week about gemmers, physical abuse and brutality is just one way to show hostility or prejudice to somebody. There's plenty of others, but sometimes I think people take the view that the only way to show prejudice towards somebody is to act like they're your punching bag. Not true, and often not even smart.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Makes you wonder why all the half-elves and elves and gemmers and 'rinthi don't band together to kick obnoxious human ass.
Lunch makes me happy.

They don't like each other either.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 08, 2008, 09:44:18 PM

Exactly.... But I doubt many players would know that without reading the docs.....  :-\

Yes, but sometimes those who aren't on friendly terms will still unite against a common tormentor.

Although I suppose elves wouldn't really care so much about anyone except their own tribe, or group in the case of city elves.

Probably the main body of humanity with its Templars is simply stronger and more numerous.
Lunch makes me happy.

Well yes, of course sometimes it happens, but it's hardly natural or inevitable that distinct minorities even with a common oppressor will truly unite long enough to accomplish anything.

Also we must remember that most Zalanthans have a much higher tolerance for oppression than your average modern Earthling.

As for others siding with half-elves, I don't think it should happen often. Then again, even though half-elves are one of the most discriminated against races, there are just some breeds you don't want fuck with.

I remember a great example of prejudice from you.

You were playing a magicker but you were appalled by northerners and half elves and when ever my character pointed out that magickers were discriminated against too.  You would say yes but that's DIFFERENT. :D  Always stuck with me.  Thanks for being an example back in me newb days.

I like a little bit of prejudice, just not to the point where its like outright harassment, I'm going to kill you for being a breed kind of stuff.

Best time I had. Which was a few years ago, when I played a halfie that looked human. Living in constant fear someone would find out her dirty secret. :D
Totally fun.
The Duty Of The One Inspired By The Muse~
          ~~
So sleep now
my longing heart, do not worry I won't tarry.
We shall be together in your dreams,
to be happy and make merry.
               ~~

..I know.. I'm a romantic.. its disgusting..

February 12, 2008, 09:13:40 AM #56 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:31:46 AM by Greve

Quote from: Greve on February 12, 2008, 09:13:40 AM
Racial roleplay has always been hanging by a thread, some races moreso than others. City-elves and dwarves are the biggest culprits, with most of them being played as humans with altered stats.

Perhaps you could give some good examples of dwarven roleplay.

Do you view them as people with personalities or just mission-driven humorless drones?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 12, 2008, 01:35:54 PM

Do you view them as people with personalities or just mission-driven humorless drones?

Dwarves are not humorless drones, but they are mission-driven.  Each day will consist of tasks related to achieving their focus, as compared to other races which have the luxury of being able to shift priorities easily and quickly.  Working toward one's focus would probably be comparable with a job market that is extremely competitive and only those individuals that sacrifice much of their personal lives will ultimately succeed.  That doesn't mean they don't have personal lives, senses of humor, senses of morality, diverse personalities, or moments of weakness.

Dwarves appeal to me as a player because my personality is very goal oriented and focused.  I want to spend my time online making progress toward a series of short-term goals that work toward a long-term goal.  I feel that's similar to how a dwarf would go about their daily routine.  They would consider anything that didn't pursue their focus, directly or indirectly, a distraction and likely make all efforts to avoid or ignore it in lieu of more important tasks.

Other races would probably see dwarves as stoic or humorless because they aren't prone to distractions or activities that didn't somehow impact their end goal.  That doesn't mean a dwarf doesn't find things funny or amusing, but that most races would mistake their generally driven natures to be devoid of humor because they aren't willing to participate in activities those races might consider normal or fun.  Dwarves are biologically wired to be task oriented and extremely focused, it isn't a personal choice or a decision any more than cats grooming themselves is a personal choice or decision -- it's what they do.

Those are a few traits that I consider to set dwarves apart and can lend them a humorless quality.

-LoD

February 12, 2008, 10:30:49 PM #59 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:31:37 AM by Greve

I really cannot speak for other dwarf players. BUT. I've played some VERY goal focused dwarves. And most of them, unless your pc  in some way matters to his focus (for or against) You very likley will never have a clue what it might be.

As a matter of fact, I've found that Often then best way to make sure you DON'T complete your focus is to let it be well known what it is. Not to mention. The focus might just be "Live like any other human" Or "Kill senior agent Blah" which means " Work for this clan in order to get close to senior agent Blah and choose the perfect moment."

Much of dwarven RP  is internal, Same as a well played Mul, Half-elf and other things.

I've seen very few of what I would call poorly played dwarves. And though I'm not staff, I think nearly all my karma was from playing dwarves, so I have a good idea what I'm talking about. If you somehow manage to become really close friends with a dwarf and really pay attention you might be able to figure out his course over time...Just don't think you are  safe, if you get in his way...He will remove his own mother if need be."
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteLOD wrote:
Dwarves appeal to me as a player because my personality is very goal oriented and focused.

LOD is a dwarf in real life.  He just isn't short and hairless.   8)

As for racial hatreds and preferences, Alot of the so-called racial hatreds are generated by some very real concerns over trust.
Humans don't like elves on average because elf=thief to them.  Particularly in a city mind-set, but generally any human would have this notion.
Elves don't like humans on average because (for a city elf) humans represent the dominant power paradigm and are intolerant and stupid (easy marks for the pilfering test of one-upmanship),
and desert elves tend to view humans as a scourage.  Particularly city humans.
Neither full blood race likes half-elves on average because they represent impure blood.  They aren't considered viable mating material by either race for the same reason.  Trust for most in Zalanthas is deeply rooted into how closely alike another is to 'us', and also on stereo-typed roles certain races have.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 12, 2008, 01:35:54 PM
Quote from: Greve on February 12, 2008, 09:13:40 AM
Racial roleplay has always been hanging by a thread, some races moreso than others. City-elves and dwarves are the biggest culprits, with most of them being played as humans with altered stats.

I have never played a dwarf myself.  I have seen some excellent examples of dwarven roleplay.  I won't give away examples, as they are not my stories to tell.  I have seen long-lived dwarves who had made their focus more or less clear without ever once talking about it.

Examples exist out there.  And kudos to all of you who have done it.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I suggest a good way to begin is simply to have your human character feel superior to the breed. Then let your character's action flow from there based on his or her personality. Does she get sarcastic easily? Then she might aim cutting remarks at the breed. Does he comfortably dismiss everything from an inferior as beneath his notice? Then he might simply ignore the breed if addressed. And so on.
Lunch makes me happy.