Ldesc and doing things.

Started by Folker, January 25, 2008, 07:06:46 AM

Is there any way to set it up so that doing things does 'not' cancel out your ldesc ? Sometimes your ldesc is part of some process, but it seems every time you perform some physical command (even a stealthy one like palm/steal,etc) your ldesc gets broken.

A more intuitive ldesc system would be nice to have. Right now it's tedious for anything but idling.

Oooh, and please more characters to it! Perferably like, another 50. But even 10 would make a difference! I use change ldesc as much as I think.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: Dakkon Black on February 05, 2008, 09:01:07 PM
Oooh, and please more characters to it! Perferably like, another 50. But even 10 would make a difference! I use change ldesc as much as I think.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I think there should be a command that will erase your current long description as well.

something  like 'change ldesc ~'

And your current long description would go back to what it was appropriately before, depending on whether standing, resting, sitting at a table, etc.

hit 'stand'.

It'll erase your ldesc.

There are occasions when it won't.

Quote from: Rhyden on February 06, 2008, 01:36:06 AM

When?  Stand has always worked for me.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

Quote from: LittleLostThief on February 06, 2008, 09:21:41 AM
Quote from: Rhyden on February 06, 2008, 01:36:06 AM

When?  Stand has always worked for me.

When you're already standing.

When you can't stand for coded reasons.

When you can't stand for roleplay reasons.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

February 06, 2008, 11:02:32 AM #9 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:04:43 AM by Morgenes
Try:

> change ldesc none
Reverting to code-generated ldesc.

Edited to add:

And no, this wasn't in the help file, but it was already implemented.  I've updated the help file.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: armageddon.org02/07/2008: Added "change ldesc auto" option to automatically parse emotes -- Morgenes

:o
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 06, 2008, 11:26:27 AM
Quote from: armageddon.org02/07/2008: Added "change ldesc auto" option to automatically parse emotes -- Morgenes

:o

Wow, quite a prediction.

I predict...it won't happen.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Actually, Stand resets ldesc even if you are already standing...always has.

As to sleeping, Well, I cannot think of a single reason to simply revert to the coded ldesc.
As to  other rp reasons (where your not going to stand) simply repeating the last position command will also reset your ldesc...and again, always has worked that way. Which, is easier then typing "change ldesc none"...only 3 letters to sit and 4 for rest:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah... stand has always worked for me while already standing.  It's easy to type, too.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

I usually change my ldesc whenever im in a position for more than 20-30 seconds.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

February 06, 2008, 06:48:25 PM #15 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:02:11 PM by Seeker
Ideally, I'd like to see some actions interrupt the current player-set ldesc with whatever code-generated ldesc is appropriate and then when the coded action is complete have the initial player-set ldesc automatically reinstated.

An example might be crafting:

emote arranges the unsharpened chitin lengths on the shelf next to the seat of a huge granite grinding wheel.
Super Grover arranges the unsharpened chitin lengths on the shelf next to the seat of a huge granite grinding wheel.
emote clambering unto the seat of the grinding mechanism, @ fits his feet into the leather stirrups.
Clambering unto the seat of the grinding mechanism, Super Grover fits his feet into the leather stirrups.
change ldesc sits, peddling a huge grinding wheel
ldesc is set to: Super Grover sits, peddling a huge grinding wheel.

emote puffing with exertion, @ peddles the wheel up to speed and gathers in a chitin length.
Puffing with exertion, Super Grover peddles the wheel up to speed and gathers in the chitin length.
craft chitin into sharp chitin blade
ldesc is set by code to: Super Grover is crafting chitin.

pause
emote bits of powder and sparks cascade to the floor from the chitin as @ grinds a sharpened edge upon one side of its length on the spinning granite.
Bits of powder and sparks cascade to the floor  from the chitin as Super Grover grinds a sharpened edge upon one side of its length on the spinning granite.
crafting completes, code echoes: *Crack* goes your work.  Your efforts are wasted.  Your helmet is silly.

ldesc is restored by code to previous: Super Grover sits, peddling a huge grinding wheel.
emote sighs wearily, adjusting his protective gloves with a sharp tug at their wrists.
Super Grover sighs wearily, adjusting his protective gloves with a sharp tug at their wrists.
say (reaching for another length of chitin, his lips sealed in frustration) mmmmnnnnn!
Super Grover says, his lips sealed in frustration, "mmmmmnnnn!"[/b]
emote panting with the exertion of keeping the wheel moving, @ reaches out a thin, blue furry arm to get the next length of chitin.
Panting with the exertion of keeping the wheel moving, Super Grover reaches out a thin, blue furry arm to get the next length of chitin.
say (adjusting his protective goggles) I should have stuck with being a waiter.
Super Grovers says, adjusting his protective goggles, "I should have stuck with being a waiter."
craft chitin into sharp chitin blade
ldesc is set by code to: Super Grover is crafting chitin.

Foraging and maybe spell-casting, too.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I could completely condone that suggestion, Seeker.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I just saw this new addition, fuckin' A, Morgenes!  :D