The Way, Linkdeadedness, and You

Started by Fathi, January 03, 2008, 08:46:12 PM

I would like to get the 'soandso has lost link' message if somebody gets disconnected while I'm in contact with them.

If I see somebody drop link when I'm talking alone with them at a table, I stop talking out of courtesy so I don't have to repeat as much for them when they reconnect. I would very much like this to apply to the Way, too.

That is all.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I've been wondering for years why this hasn't been implemented yet.

Agreed
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah.
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

Because you don't know if they are ignoring you, have died or something else?
I was with Kul on that trip.

Quote from: Dusky on January 04, 2008, 10:49:51 AM
Because you don't know if they are ignoring you, have died or something else?

And also the 'soandso has lost link' message will let me know at what point I'll need to repeat myself. Right now, if I'm waying someone a detailed scouting report, for example, and they stop replying midway through, I don't know if they just got busy, had to rest to regain stun, or dropped link. If I got a message saying that they'd dropped link, I wouldn't keep waying them and that player has less they have to catch up on once they're back.

Heh, the message for  dying/logging off is already there, sure, you don't know which is which, but there. Sleeping or  barriered as well.

Come to think of it, Why is the message for logging off the same as death? I'd think that being in contact with somebody as they died would be a rather tramatic experiance...Meh.

Still agreeing with Fathi.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Great idea. It would be even cooler if the game informed you when you contact someone who is linkdead, too - there's few things as annoying as reconnecting just in time to see someone severing a way connection, then trying to figure out who it was so you can ask them what they just said.

Quote from: Grey Area on January 05, 2008, 05:33:26 AM
Great idea. It would be even cooler if the game informed you when you contact someone who is linkdead, too - there's few things as annoying as reconnecting just in time to see someone severing a way connection, then trying to figure out who it was so you can ask them what they just said.

Yeah.  I've actually had staff inform me that people I had contacted were linkdead.  While I enjoy that warm feeling that comes from receiving a favor from someone with better things to do, I think that this can and should be automated.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Troicha on January 06, 2008, 08:50:49 PM
Also, beep over the Way, thanks.

I second this...I needed this last night as a matter of fact.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Why do you need beep over the way? Sometimes I just ignore the voices in my head, I don't want to start getting beeped for that.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 13, 2008, 10:50:11 PM
Why do you need beep over the way? Sometimes I just ignore the voices in my head, I don't want to start getting beeped for that.

Turn it off, then.

* Fathi whistles innocuously and kicks ~thread to the top of ~forum.

April 18, 2009, 01:01:02 AM #18 Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:03:59 AM by SMuz
Yes, should be that way. Fucking annoying when someone contacts over an important issue involving life and limb and didn't even know that you're not online to listen.

Edited out IC info :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I think it hasn't been implemented because nobody thought about it.

If we talk about it enough times, maybe it will get implemented.

Someone should Idea it in game.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This would be a great thing to have in game good point Fathi. Also wished other things such as spells and stuff would also wear off when you was logged out. Cause basicly we are still the vnpc like.
craft pain pills  Dr pepper
You make a idled character

Fifth-ted, or whatever. I haven't been counting.

No need for beep though.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

PLEASE?
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

Quote from: X-D on January 04, 2008, 06:41:54 PM
Why is the message for logging off the same as death? I'd think that being in contact with somebody as they died would be a rather tramatic experiance...Meh.

Still agreeing with Fathi.

I'm all for the disconnect message message, and for a slight derail to suggest a new way message for death. I imagine it would be pretty fucked up to feel someones consciousness die while you're linked to it.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."