Send More Kudos!

Started by Troicha, December 16, 2007, 02:11:46 AM

I get kudos most of the time for making people laugh. Hard to do that with deep introspective characters.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 10, 2015, 06:15:52 PM
I get kudos most of the time for making people laugh. Hard to do that with deep introspective characters.

Fo realz tho.

I've had an idea for a thread bouncing around in my head for a while now along the lines of "How to Communicate with a Quiet Character". I don't have advice to give, but the question would be -  how do you have a character who is quiet, but doesn't seem constantly afk.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Emotes.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on February 10, 2015, 06:41:03 PM
Emotes.

Hemotes.  Please don't just think and feel - it drives me crazy.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Emoting more than you normally would. I've been there before and I constantly feel a pressure to emote my position and what my PC is scratching, if his arms are crossed...

I made great use of non-physical-emotes, which might not actually completely kosher but I got a great amount of joy out of.

Things like:

em looks like he doesn't particularly care of your joke.

em responds with silent scorn.

pem face twitches faintly, looking none too pleased.

em grunts softly, whether out of indifference or acknowledgement is hard to discern.

It's a bit power-emotey, becuase you're imparting insight into the mind of your character when emotes should technically be physical. It's the sort of thing you'd read in a book from that characters perspective. But you know what? I love that sort of shit.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on February 10, 2015, 06:32:12 PM
I've had an idea for a thread bouncing around in my head for a while now along the lines of "How to Communicate with a Quiet Character". I don't have advice to give, but the question would be -  how do you have a character who is quiet, but doesn't seem constantly afk.

I think you have to make them take specific actions that demonstrate that are fully aware of everything around them and just aren't talking.  For example the crew's all around talking about what they need or something hard to find or whatever.  At some point wandering out, then back in and plunking whatever is on the table, or slipping to the person during a quieter or time or something.

The pressure's on the pof QuietCharacter to make it worth it for others to go out of their way to include the QuietCharacter.  Usually folks will try once or twice and just move on.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I think implying feelings in emotes is fine if your character is particularly quiet. Human body language expresses things that it takes a spectacular novelist to even begin to describe.

February 10, 2015, 09:46:32 PM #157 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:51:02 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 10, 2015, 06:43:57 PM
It's a bit power-emotey, becuase you're imparting insight into the mind of your character when emotes should technically be physical. It's the sort of thing you'd read in a book from that characters perspective. But you know what? I love that sort of shit.

I love that sort of thing too, and personally think it is great roleplay and not "power-emotey".   It can be near impossible to convey the subtle physical differences between a smile and a mischievous smile...  Why not just say it's mischievous and save everyone a lot of trouble?    I particularly like it when this sort of thing is layered into hemotes to add extra insights.  Such as:

The thin, uber-roleplaying man lifts his hand to cover his mouth as he stifles a yawn.

(Something about the yawn suggests that the thin, uber-roleplaying man is bored, rather than tired.)

This adds that body langauge factor that MeTekillot mentioned.  It isn't mindbending, it's just something an observant person might be able to pick up.

As this thread is active once more, I'd like to update a couple of previous staff suggestions for kudos as there are questions about them a few pages back.

Kudos shouldn't just be a minimum of one sentence.  If someone did something worth you taking the time to tell them, please take at least a little time to tell them.  A few sentences would suffice.  One-liner/one sentence kudos (or kudos otherwise so short they don't actually communicate a clear thought about what it is you liked about what the player or PC did) will likely be rejected.

Kudos should not be bundled.  Please send separate kudos.  If you bundle them all together, you have created a single request that takes quite a lot longer to resolve (we have to find every player in question, create several e-mails, and note several accounts), rather than several individual and smaller requests that can be done whenever a staff member has a few minutes of time to knock one out.  Bundled kudos will likely be rejected.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on February 10, 2015, 06:32:12 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 10, 2015, 06:15:52 PM

Fo realz tho.

A good way to handle 'quietness' in my opinion, is to emote mannerisms or subtle reactions.  Quiet means they don't like to talk a lot, but that certainly won't stop a character from being dynamic in expressing thoughts, emotions, etc.  Even the shyest of people give away something in a social setting, unless they are an ice king/queen.

Let's maybe quantify the difference between a quiet character and performance anxiety, the latter being incredibly common.  Even with new PCs, it takes me a while to get in the groove of how they tick.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

Quote from: Talia on March 22, 2015, 12:06:53 PM
If you want staff to see your kudos, you really should send a staff kudos request. Otherwise your praise is just dissipating in the ether.
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I love Kudos! I send them to alive/dead characters, if I notice their efforts, when they support immersion or when they bring awesome roleplays. I try to send them as often as I can, within reason! People should send more -- within logic.

Slight necro, but not horrible.

Send more kudos, it only takes a minute and makes folks feel appreciated.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

My PCs don't live long enough to get Kudos.  :-\
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think all my kudos have been for playing a mean PC.

Play more mean PCs people! You can get 1 kudos every four months and you won't have to worry about holding back other PCs if you're low playtime or offpeak because the first time you're mean to someone, they'll never want to interact with you again  ;)
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 18, 2015, 08:33:36 PM
I think all my kudos have been for playing a mean PC.

Play more mean PCs people! You can get 1 kudos every four months and you won't have to worry about holding back other PCs if you're low playtime or offpeak because the first time you're mean to someone, they'll never want to interact with you again  ;)

In my experience so far, I actually have wished i'd meet more mean PCs at times. I want to build rivalries and conflicts on my characters. Not always make friends. Things are a lot more interesting when you have conflicts that can devolve to fun barbrawls, then build up to more vicious intentions - and it doesn't always have to end with murder.

so keep playing mean characters :D, and I won't stop rping with someone because theyre mean ;)

Quote from: Rokal on May 18, 2015, 08:41:50 PM
In my experience so far, I actually have wished i'd meet more mean PCs at times.

While I get the spirit of what you're saying, sometimes this doesn't work out too well. I have an account note for "being mean to an [obviously] new player" while my PC was in a bad mood. I don't remember the specific instance, but I don't know how I was supposed to know they were new, or why my PC would have treated them differently. Sometimes, being mean earns you bad account notes, so its not always worth being a mean PC unless you're staff and nobody can complain about it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I was mean to someone and didn't realize they were new until they went ooc and said so. Then they posted on the gdb and everyone called me a jerk and I wanted to cry. Now I want to cry again. But next time mean is in order, gonna be mean and hope for the best.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

May 20, 2015, 11:02:54 AM #168 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:09:52 AM by whitt
Barz, I for one am appalled at this.  You bein' mean?

I didn't know you had it in ya.  Kudos!  Can't be all puppy toks an' kalans.

Quote from: Riev on May 20, 2015, 10:26:02 AM
Quote from: Rokal on May 18, 2015, 08:41:50 PM
In my experience so far, I actually have wished i'd meet more mean PCs at times.

While I get the spirit of what you're saying, sometimes this doesn't work out too well. I have an account note for "being mean to an [obviously] new player" while my PC was in a bad mood. I don't remember the specific instance, but I don't know how I was supposed to know they were new, or why my PC would have treated them differently. Sometimes, being mean earns you bad account notes, so its not always worth being a mean PC unless you're staff and nobody can complain about it.

Without any other context, this sounds like an account note that fits one of these categories:

a)  doesn't exist
b)  should be removed
c)  should be ignored

Rule 3 is literally "there are no rules against being extremely mean to others that your character may meet."
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Barzalene on May 20, 2015, 10:56:43 AM
I was mean to someone and didn't realize they were new until they went ooc and said so. Then they posted on the gdb and everyone called me a jerk and I wanted to cry. Now I want to cry again. But next time mean is in order, gonna be mean and hope for the best.

Hush l'il Barzy don't you cry,
Mum is gonna make you a ginka pie.

Hush l'il Barzy don't say a word
Next time just be a jerk to the nerd.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Oddly comforting.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Sometimes I get annoyed when everyone seems so damn nice.

Then I get really annoyed when there is one person who seems to think since everyone is being so nice, they've got to dial "cut your tits off" to 11.

It's like the player base is bi-polar.

Yep, no rules against being mean. Except the extreme social stigma that unites the White Knights of Zalanthas. They will answer the call and defeat the Bad Person.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: hopeandsorrow on May 20, 2015, 12:04:06 PM
Sometimes I get annoyed when everyone seems so damn nice.

Then I get really annoyed when there is one person who seems to think since everyone is being so nice, they've got to dial "cut your tits off" to 11.

It's like the player base is bi-polar.
Rule number 1: Don't fuck with me.
Rule number 2: Don't fuck with those who can fuck with me.
Rule number 3: Leave the gates on your own and I'll flay you alive, string you up by your toes, and let your lungs hang over your shoulders until dead.

Ah, I miss the Byn.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"