Weather

Started by Forest Junkie, December 04, 2007, 07:50:44 AM

I think it's been asked before, so forgive me if I'm just hashing out a question someone else has already asked:

Do any of you feel like as the mud stays up for a longer period of time, the wind appears to get progressively worse, until it's nearly unplayable to be outdoors until a crash/reboot?

I know I can't be imagining this. It seems like clockwork -- every time the game hits around 3-4 days of being up without a hitch, the wind becomes a near mighty gale, 24/7.

Is this a bug in the code, or is it meant to be this way?

Am I just bonkers?

I fucking hate sandstorms.

That is all.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

It's been talked about before. I think it is meant to be this way. Or a bug. Or a combination of both. Either way, it's been like this for a year+.

It was said that weather code is a giant black hole in the arm code.  Whoever tries to work on it, you don't see them anymore
some of my posts are serious stuff

Check your poles and zeroes, fellas.  e^(a*t) is not your friend when a>0.

Is Arm.weather supposed to be periodic or chaotic?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

holy shit that will blow up if t goes to infinity

Quote from: Ghost on December 04, 2007, 10:47:31 AM
holy shit that will blow up if t goes to infinity
is it eigenvaleus or eigenvectors? i never remember

Quote from: Mood on December 04, 2007, 08:05:39 AM
I fucking hate sandstorms.

That is all.

em nods sagely.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."~D. Adams

I have CDO.  It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order.       Like they should be.

eigenvectors

To save that up you put a constant in front of the exponential and say that is equal to zero.  Kind of like cheating yourself but it works.  Though there should be another exponential term to make it meaningful that would not blow up at the infinity.

To sum up the whole algebra:  Reboot the game once in a week and we are good.

Quote from: Ghost on December 04, 2007, 02:52:40 PM
eigenvectors

To save that up you put a constant in front of the exponential and say that is equal to zero.  Kind of like cheating yourself but it works.  Though there should be another exponential term to make it meaningful that would not blow up at the infinity.
k i'm lost.  aren't you like randomly zapping one of the modes? (Even if its a bad mode.)

I still say we need negative feedback to haul in the dang poles.

I have noticed this also. When the game first starts up the weather is peachy for a couple of days...By the time three or four days rolls around its almost constantly a mighty gale. I only notice this because I quickly take advantage of the first couple of days with my rangers to spam out archery, before its a constant mighty gale that I cant shoot in.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Depends on the type of your problem.  If this is a solution of an ordinary differential equation you are solving and e^(at) is a solution, you should have a constant in front of it (Ce^at) and De^(-at) also is your solution.  Then you apply your boundary conditions to check for the constants, and if your variable "t" could increase infinitely, e^(at) will blow up.  To get rid of it, you set the constant in front of it to zero.  The other one is your solution. 
This would not be a problem if your solution was complex (like, if a was complex), because then your solution would be harmonic, would not go out of its limited value.

If your problem is just e^at and you are trying to figure out the a values, you should have boundary conditions.  And yes, you just set it to the given boundary conditions and see what your a turns out to be.

Now thinking on that, there is no eigenvector since e^(at) alone is not a vector.  You should have this in a vector equation, solve for eigenvalues, then you will have your e^(at) values in your eigenvectors.  Then you set your modes.

The best solution would be Ae^(-iat) + Be^(iat):  It is a harmonic function, it would fluctuate back and forth, we could even have seasons in arm!

Quote from: Ghost on December 04, 2007, 03:40:43 PM
Then you apply your boundary conditions to check for the constants, and if your variable "t" could increase infinitely, e^(at) will blow up.  To get rid of it, you set the constant in front of it to zero.  The other one is your solution. 
Oh, okay, got it...given that you know your system *is* stable, you use the solution that makes sense.

Quote from: Ghost on December 04, 2007, 03:40:43 PM
The best solution would be Ae^(-iat) + Be^(iat):  It is a harmonic function, it would fluctuate back and forth, we could even have seasons in arm!
What about a chaotic (non-periodic) weather system?  You can build them such that they're quasi-periodic but not really repeating (the trajectories kind of wander around some "average" path).

Sometimes I wonder what the big deal about Ghost is.

Then he starts talking mathematics and I go weak at the knees.

What, we can't just use something simple like sin(t) as our sandstorm function??
subdue thread
release thread pit

Ease of predictability.

Quote from: Jherlen on December 04, 2007, 07:33:29 PM
What, we can't just use something simple like sin(t) as our sandstorm function??
Too predictable.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 04, 2007, 04:16:13 PM
What about a chaotic (non-periodic) weather system?  You can build them such that they're quasi-periodic but not really repeating (the trajectories kind of wander around some "average" path).

I am not sure if you can formulate that.  You can put some nonlinear harmonic function that will not be easy to predict, but still, I doubt you can make chaos by a simple equation you are putting down (I have not seen chaos theory at all so maybe I am wrong though)

You can make a nonlinear equation:

sin[xt+ 1/t+1 + t^2 + logt + t^3]

still harmonic, it will not blow up whatever you put instead of t, it will function within given boundaries (-1, 1 for sine).  Then again, the inside is complicated enough, matlab would tell me "wtf man" if I put it there.  Not chaos, but chaotic enough.

Quote from: weird shadowSometimes I wonder what the big deal about Ghost is.

Then he starts talking mathematics and I go weak at the knees.

I love you too.

Yeah, the weather seems to steadily worsen as time in the game progresses. While it can go the other way, it seems much more inclined to increase in wind speed and sand-in-the-air factor, so when the game has been up for more than 3-4 days you get perpetual sandstorms in certain areas, gale winds in others. When the game has been running uninterrupted for a week, the Whirans rejoice and the rangers cry.
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

Quote from: Throttle on December 05, 2007, 12:22:19 AM
Yeah, the weather seems to steadily worsen as time in the game progresses. While it can go the other way, it seems much more inclined to increase in wind speed and sand-in-the-air factor, so when the game has been up for more than 3-4 days you get perpetual sandstorms in certain areas, gale winds in others. When the game has been running uninterrupted for a week, the Whirans rejoice and the rangers cry.

Since having lately been in a position to really pay attention to the weather, i can't help but totally f'ing agree with Throttle on this. And it sucks.

I guess my joke about all the complicated math was too subtle.  :P
subdue thread
release thread pit

I blame the magickers.  Strictly speaking, I don't know if they have spells that can affect the weather.  My mages rarely branch anything.  But messing with the weather is just the sort of shit you'd expect those finger wigglers to pull, isn't it?  Sure, if they can affect the weather they could probably use their powers to make the weather nicer rather than crapping it up all the time, but what are the chances they will use their powers for good?  If someone got a spell for ruining the weather, they'd probably also get a spell making them mostly immune to the negative effects, right?  Bastards.   

Besides, you can never go wrong blaming magickers.  ;)

If that doesn't work for you (perhaps you've had many maxxed out mages and never seen such a spell) then I also have a staff conspiracy theory:  They mess up the weather on purpose to "encourage" more social roleplay. If the weather is lousy, everybody has to stay in the cities.  Oh, sure, a Ranger could try riding into the wind hoping to find better weather during a blinding sandstorm, but doing so makes you look like a twink.  So most people will hang around the taverns, hoping against hope that the weather will clear up. 
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yep, every time the weather kicks up a mage is eating children.

It would be nice to see weather have more chaotic and random transitions. Leaving in the morning clear and beautiful should be able to go downhill into blinding weather as fast as by noon. Could take all day, or two days. That's the point, it's hard to tell how severe things are and are going to get.

Opens up the whole new option of giving certain races/classes weather guessing abilities!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.