The Rinth Wants You!

Started by morrigan, November 30, 2007, 10:38:03 AM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 17, 2008, 05:13:25 PM
Huh.. I just never made myself look like a newbie, I guess. I've -never- had a problem with getting killed by other PC's for no reason. You are doing something wrong.

I actually wasn't too worried about the results or lead up to the interaction that spurred my post above.  I'm 100% positive the other player was not after my newbie gold, is as much as I think I should say.

I'm more concerned with the Rinth as a ghost town.  Plenty of Rinthi PCs die to NPCs being asshats, crime code, and silly mistakes. How much should be added to that tally via PK deathes?

On the other hand, the Rinth isn't the Rinth without some good ol' fashioned PKing in the mix.  The ever present strong possibly of death is part of the charm of the place.

So it's a balance, and it's hard for me to see where the line is exactly.  I'd wish for people to consider allowing the Rinth to fill up a little before the culling begins in earnest.

I find it generally easy to survive. You just have to be wise and play everything out casually instead of killing everything.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Exactly. Take it slow. Don't try to become the leader of the Guild in three days playing time. Keep you goals set in the distant future and just survive.

Another pointer.  Get noticed!  A bad way to interact is running into a PC while killing some npc or just running away at the first sight of pc turbulence. A great way to interact is the three bars, chill there do something noteworthy.  Best pointer dont roll up a freshy character and act like straight up Artemis Entreri (sp)  Its actually safer to be that dude in the movie Friday where he goes and says "Ah'll suck yo dick maaaahhhn."  and you can add 'For fooood!"  Up to the point that becomes annoying, its way cooler than acting a fool.  You might find somebody.  I -know- its boring.  I -know- you may not be ready to play a piece of shit nobody.  But hey, you rolled a rinther.  Its better to meet people in neutral places, if they get to know you they may not want to kill you because you are nobody, a piece of shit, any other rinther.

Now go.  Go forth and die.
Robots rule

Seriously if you play a normla non-murderous PC and are careful the damned NPC's won't bother you. Find someone who knows the Rinth IC as another PC, learn from them Ic and play with them IC. It's dirty and smelly, but not always revolving around blood and murder.

On a side note: We need more city elves. They have been talked about lately and I really think they bring alot to the Rinth. i wanna see the elven tribes of the Rinth become more numerous.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on April 18, 2008, 09:00:56 PM
Seriously if you play a normal non-murderous PC and are careful the damned NPC's won't bother you.

I've logged plenty of hours in the Rinth, and still can't guess with perfect accuracy which items the NPCs will mug you for and which they'll ignore.  For example, I've discovered you can take a particular high priced, fairly standard weapon into the rinth with no problems -- but another similarly priced weapon will induce the usual (NPC) suspects into a kill-crazed frenzy.

If you poke your nose around just exploring, you can look forward to getting hit by certain NPCs.   Note a newbie to the Rinth -must- wander around exploring, risking running into these NPCs -- or else he simply won't know where the meeting spots and other interesting areas are.  If they can't find the meeting spots, they have a harder time find the experienced Rinthi who can show the ropes ICly.

Of the hostile NPCs, one in particular seems to wander, occasionally bumbling into your character on the normal path headed to the only commonly accessible place in the Rinth that is currently being populated by any tavern sitters at all.

That said, I have no problems avoiding death by NPC in the Rinth. I feel my Rinthi characters are safer in the alleyways than they are southside -- as it should be.  I'm just taking exception to the idea that the NPCs won't bother a player character. I've seen a mountain of obviously 1st day characters dead at the feet of NPCs. I've met well-roleplayed PCs, most obviously veterans of the game, who I later see dead with an NPC hovering over them.

(and all of their loot usually intact, ironically)

April 19, 2008, 01:15:09 AM #156 Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:17:03 AM by number13

April 19, 2008, 07:36:43 AM #157 Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:43:46 AM by hyzhenhok
Quote from: titansfan on April 18, 2008, 09:00:56 PM
Seriously if you play a normla non-murderous PC...

But, I just needed that extra 25 sid!!!! :(  :(  :(   :(

;)

By the way, to the new players, come of those npcs are very realistic. And viscious. It's very likely that if you're getting killed repeatedly by the same guy, it's one of them.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I did actually think the first NPC attacks were from PC's, and sometimes I get confused as to whether the bodies I see are PC's or NPC's.  I've found though that (even as a newbie) the PC's that do wander and attack (not the mugging ones, I never dress "up") tend not to be too hard to avoid if you keep moving - it's if I stop in the same room with them for any length of time that I find it's a problem.  And then they do tend to be fairly easy to escape from, once you know your way around a little - or even if you don't and you just scurry around like a chicken with your head cut off until you find you've been safe for about ten minutes ;)  But maybe I'm just lucky... 

I did lose one character to a particularly annoying NPC, but I kinda went afk in the middle of his turf for about um.. an hour.  Same way a scrab did me in with one of my other chars :)  Other than that, as a complete newbie I've had very little problem staying alive due to NPC or PC attacks, and more problems staying alive due to silly things like falling down wells, going afk in hostile territory, stuff like that.  Anyone who has enough common sense not to flash a lot of snazzy clothes/jewelry, not to hang around when you've just tried to rob someone and they've taken it personal,  and not to go "Oooh.. a dark hole.. wonder how far down it goes?" when you don't have climb would probably manage as well in the 'rinth as in other areas of the game. 

That being said, I do like it when expensively outfitted people leave their corpses around.  It's like Christmas.
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes.
- John Dee, Preludes & Nocturns

When I played in the 'rinth, I usually never wore my hood.

BECAUSE I HAD STOLEN THE BEGGAR'S HAT.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on April 19, 2008, 02:34:08 PM
When I played in the 'rinth, I usually never wore my hood.

BECAUSE I HAD STOLEN THE BEGGAR'S HAT.

...We are unworthy.

Bumping this thread for posterity.

If you haven't played the rinth, there is no better time than now. I'm not even playing there at the moment, but I imagine some delightful(ly evil) people are.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on May 31, 2008, 07:17:08 PM
Bumping this thread for posterity.

If you haven't played the rinth, there is no better time than now. I'm not even playing there at the moment, but I imagine some delightful(ly evil) people are.

I'm gonna go ahead and second this. If you stick around and don't run Southside, I assure you, you'll find some interaction of some sort!

Definatly, when playing my rinthi characters, i strangly feel safer in the allyways.  When something bad happens southside, i just run north, nine times out of  ten, whever is chasing me, will not chase me into the shadows.

June 03, 2008, 12:06:02 PM #165 Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:50:37 PM by Simple
Maybe off peak.....

I wandered around, hung in bars, explored everywhere. Rarely saw people.

I tried. :(
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

I'd like to use this thread to suggest that starting wealth for rinthers should be only enough to buy a moss pasta, a skin of water and a dagger. It's incredibly annoying when I see rinth rats renting out apartments in the south or even, go to the bank.

Quote from: Simple on June 03, 2008, 12:06:02 PM
Maybe off peak.....

I wandered around, hung in bars, explored everywhere. Rarely saw people.

I tried. :(

Coming from an fellow off-peaker. I spent well over a year (nearly two in fact) in the 'Rinth and had an amazing time.

You're not trying hard enough. You gotta remember it's not like Southside, the people you want to interact with are making an effort not to be easily found. It just takes a little patience.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Maybe. I'll try again when I get a nice idea and more time IRL.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Here I go, making a new 'rinth character and I have not seen a single pc all day.  Where have all the shadowy characters gone??

Quote from: Ammut on June 15, 2008, 11:43:11 PM
Here I go, making a new 'rinth character and I have not seen a single pc all day.  Where have all the shadowy characters gone??

To the shadows?
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Hello? Anybody here?

Anybody?

o hai, im in ur rinth, backstabbin ur doods

*bump*

The Rinth looks to be picking up some. Buy one scar get the next -two- -free-. C'mon, where you gonna get a better deal then that? Play the Rinth!

I can't help but finish the title of this post with: to try it's new fried chicken.
Quote from: Tarx on April 13, 2008, 11:43:02 PM
The longer a PC lives, the more likely they will die to something stupid.

-ginka's law