When someone submits a kudos...

Started by Cavaticus, October 31, 2007, 10:58:01 PM

First I usually have to figure out who the kudos is for. Oftentimes the player giving the kudos isn't very clear about that.

Once I know who the character is, I have to find out what account they are. That can take a little bit of time too.

Once I know the account name, I look up the account and find the email address for that player.

Then I resolve the request by manually emailing the player receiving the kudos, after editing out any information that might be too IC.

Finally, I'll often take the time to note on both accounts that kudos were given and kudos were received.

Last week alone there were 13 player kudos.

You guys are great. Keep it up. Kudos make the MUD go 'round. I love seeing them and I love dealing with them.

Kudos to Cavaticus for tracking down those deserving players!

Cavaticus bends down and begins to search for tracks.

A tall, muscular human has passed through here recently.

i always wonder if my content is edited for being too IC.

do you reflect your edits in the email back to the sender?

thanks for handling the kudos I sent recently!

I loved [Editted], it was so awesome how you [editted]. Keep up the good work. And don't do [Editted].
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Eternal"Kudos to Cavaticus for tracking down those deserving players!

Cavaticus bends down and begins to search for tracks.

A tall, muscular human has passed through here recently.

Truth.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Cavaticus :

Is there a certain way it would make it easier for you to track down people for kudos things?  For instance, should I include a header like:

To: The player of Amos (the tall, muscular man)

...with both a name and sdesc?

I'm all about helping you get through these and get them back to the players quicker, so the person on the receiving end isn't dead or isn't like 'WTF does he mean 'That was so awesome?!', I haven't done anything but hunt tregil in a week!'
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Shiroi: Giving both the name and sdesc will ensure that I can deliver your kudos.

Agent: I don't usually tell the submitting player that I've edited their stuff - usually I only do minor edits.

On a side note, I don't want to give the impression that I'm the only one doing kudos. All the imms take care of them, and in fact it's one of the few request types that we newer storytellers can take care of without backup from folks with higher clearance.

Everyone but Eukelade* and Shalooonsh** does kudos all the time. Mainly what I'm doing is encouraging you to write EVEN MORE.

*A jerk.
**Too cool for Kudos.

Does the player receive some sort of notice if they are the recipient of a 'Kudos' or does it go to their account notes?

Disregard.  I found the answer to my own question.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Getting kudos is awesome. But SOMEONE has to be sending them in order for other players to get them. Send more, folks! There are so many circumstances for kudos-sending:

:arrow:  A character has unexpectedly died and you realize how much you'll miss just seeing them on their regular barstool. Send them kudos to say "you were fun and I'll miss you".
:arrow:  You had an awesome scene with the other character. Send them kudos for being funny, or scary, or for playing by the docs, or whatever.
:arrow:  You're in a clan and you love your leader(s). Send them kudos for the great OOC and/or IC job they do.
:arrow:  You went to an RPT hosted by a character and had fun. Send them kudos for making stuff happen.
:arrow:  You got embroiled in a plot of some character's. Send them kudos for being a conniving bastard.
:arrow:  You needed that one special thing and you got the best OOC and IC service ever from a merchant. Send them kudos for awesome service.
:arrow:  There's a character whose emoting or accent or use of VNPCs you really admire. Send them kudos for bringing their character and the world around them to life.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I haven't gotten any kudos in months. If I give out six, can I have two please?

In need of lovin,

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If I want to give "the very tall figure in a dark hooded cloak" a kudos, any way to ever make that happen? Or will this never be possible?

Quote from: "Kennath"If I want to give "the very tall figure in a dark hooded cloak" a kudos, any way to ever make that happen? Or will this never be possible?

Very unlikely unless an imm happened to have been watching. Describe things in as much detail as possible and there's always a chance.

I just got my first kudos about a week ago. I was suprised, to say the least.

Here's an idea bout giving 'the tall figure in a dark cloak' a kudos.

Typo him with the message, kudos. IE: typo figure kudos.

Then send your kudos in and add that the person you want to receive the Kudos was typoed with kudos in the typo line. Since the typo command is character specific, Staff can find the character easily. Obviously, you have to be thinking about this at the time the figure is about, but it's one way to get it done.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I don't even know how to get to the typo logs. Please don't do that.

If you're RPing with the character at the time you want to send the kudos, you might as well just wish up and ask someone to take a note of the PC for future Kudos purposes. That way you don't have to misuse the typo system.

Blah. My fault.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Then how about a new command that seems simple enough to implement?

You just type note <target>
and the game records to your pfile the target's account name and the time the note was placed.

You could never see your own notes but you'd be able to send a request like "The guy I noted at 6:30PM EST on 11/1/07 deserves kudos because..." or "The guy I noted at 6:30PM EST on 11/1/07 was abusing the bug that..." and the imm that reads your request would know exactly where to look to find out who you were talking about.

Just wanted to point something out about kudos that I've been told / had indicated in the past: When you send kudos to someone, their clan imms will be CCed on the kudos as well. So the kudos aren't just for making that other player feel good, they're actually helpful to the imms--it's like a "recommendation" from the playerbase on who's doing a good job. So when I send them, I keep that in mind, and it gives me some extra motivation to do it as my "vote" for a player.

Cavaticus or any other imm, please feel free to correct me if that's not still being done. (I was told previously by an imm that's part of what happens.)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Lizzie"I haven't gotten any kudos in months. If I give out six, can I have two please?

In need of lovin,

L. Stanson

There are some of us, like myself, who have not recived a single kudo.

*shrugs*

Maybe my RP sucks.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "Lizzie"I haven't gotten any kudos in months. If I give out six, can I have two please?

In need of lovin,

L. Stanson

There are some of us, like myself, who have not recived a single kudo.

*shrugs*

Maybe my RP sucks.

Well, you have to play in close proximity to someone who thinks to submit kudos, notices the quality of your play, and remembers to submit it. It's probably pretty easy to get overlooked.

If you want to gently remind people about the function, send some out yourself.

Probably just overlooked. That or you you suck! HA

I want love too while we're giving them out, they make me more addicted.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Just sent out Kudos for the first time. Hey that's easy.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Quote from: "GoodwinX"Then how about a new command that seems simple enough to implement?

You just type note <target>
and the game records to your pfile the target's account name and the time the note was placed.

You could never see your own notes but you'd be able to send a request like "The guy I noted at 6:30PM EST on 11/1/07 deserves kudos because..." or "The guy I noted at 6:30PM EST on 11/1/07 was abusing the bug that..." and the imm that reads your request would know exactly where to look to find out who you were talking about.

Obviously problem with that - not everyone is on EST.  I for one (in the nicest possible way), cannot be bothered to work out what time I thought to note them, and then work out what time that would be on some funky-ass timezone (GMT, timezone=0 ftw! ...nevermind :) ).  It would be easier to give them a unique code that connects your character to theirs.  So, if my character Bob kudos's the guy in the pretty-coloured raincoat (otherwise known as Fred), the note would come up as something like:

myname:theirname:uniqueword.

In this case:

kudosnote raincoat bimbal (because we were picking them at the time of the kudos-worthy RP)

gives...

Bob:Fred:Bimbal

Then all you need to do in the request form, is give your name, and your keyword, and it'd be easy to track down exactly who you're on about!  Easier than times/timezones to remember too (if its Kudos-worthy, you'd remember what made it memorable!)!  Just make sure you don't do kudos-worthy bimbal picking with fifteen different people within a week.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

My last character was Bimbal though.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Had to be you that said that, didn't it? :D  Okay, so you might very rarely get:

Bob:Bimbal:Bimbal

But its not going to be happening all -that- frequently considering the amount of unique ideas people could have.  They might say leaf, harvesting, spine, hurt (...because Bimbal got spiked by a cactus during the RP), hopping, foot (it was through his boot), etc!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.