Roleplaying Props

Started by Apocalyptic_Cow, October 27, 2007, 04:36:29 AM

I'm going to submit a roleplaying props. Maybe if we can be as excited about the things we like, rather than dislike, burgeoning players can pick up some tips. What are the things that make us connect to a character on a deeper level? What is the elusive appeal of those exceptional characters that seem to pull everyone into their orbit? What is that dynamic that makes playing among certain combinations of players so immersive?

What I absolutely dig to see in someone's RP is the ability to play their character even when they are at their most pathetic. I love it when a player drops the ideal image they have of their character, and when the going gets rough, allows their character to be terrified, hurt, beaten, bested, sick, or embarrassed. Don't be worried about people seeing your character as "weak"; when I see this, I see the character as "complete", and I sympathize with them far more. Props to everyone who does this.

Taking that a bit further, I love it when players deliberately sabatoge themselves, doing something that will -deliberately- be harmful, dangerous, embarrassing, or in any way less than beneficial to their characters, simply because it's more realistic, or what their character would do.  

It doesn't have to be huge, like putting yourself in direct line for an assassination attempt.  Even little things like forgetting someone's name or not being able to hear another person in a tavern (taverns are loud), even though, codedly, the player can just read the screen.  Or thinking dangerous thoughts around someone you know oocly to be a mindbender.  Or choosing to fall off a cliff on that hunting trip accidentally, instead of just accidentally falling off a cliff on a hunting trip.  Those sorts of things are the awesome, and make characters seem the awesome too.

I also like it when people get into their character's physicality.  When I see half giants realizing and emoting that they're two or three times the size of everyone else, I am glad inside.  Even indicating where your character is putting their feet when they sit on their barstool gives you more of a presence in the world.

And I like it when people don't wear backpacks (down with backpacks).
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Props to the people that play nobles that seem both noble and real. - Cause that's hard to do. It's easy to just talk with an uppity accent and keep everyone at a distance. It's keep that distance from the common people but still be an engaging character.

Props to the people that are scary, but still seem real. It's nice to get a glimpse at the personality behind the scary, the motivations and humanity. It can make them even scarier.

Props to the people who make you feel things, whether anger or admiration or just hilarity. I think we give a lot of credit to those who make us see the world, and rightly so, but I love when I don't just like or hate a pc, but feel things that are more complex.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I give props to the people who make their characters fail.

FUCK YEAH!

I love characters that expierence thew world as a rfeal pearson.  

I saw this character buy a house for him and his lover from a character of mine.  Little did he know that I killed his lover myself.

He coudl of known that his lover was dead OOCly, but he choose to play his character without that knowledge that she was dead... AND THAT I KILLED HER.

That dude deserves my props.  You're doing oit right buddy!  YEAH!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

My best roleplaying prop is a kilt. My characters always wear kilts, they're awesome that way.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "Malken"My best roleplaying prop is a kilt. My characters always wear kilts, they're awesome that way.

If my pc could find a kilt he'd wear one.

Props to people who make their emotes aware of and inclusive of the virtual population and coded NPCs alike.

Props to people who emote about the weather and how it is affecting their PC.

Props to people who emote the nasty, disgusting parts of commoner life: sweat, dust, gritty nails, and lice.

Props to people who give their characters three-dimensionality: crushes, grudges, phobias, fetishes, nervous tics, hobbies beyond coded skills, unique slang.

Props to people who set the standards for their PC's race and play as the rule rather than the exception.

Props to tavern-sitters who are not tavern-idlers.

Props to templars, nobles, and blood merchants who play an actual CHARACTER behind their PC's title and birthright.

Props to people who include all five senses in their emotes--I love reading how some of you phrase your characters' particular sights, sounds, scents, tastes, and textures.

I guess I am full of love this morning.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Some serious propaninis to people not afraid to have their character in danger in order to roleplay.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: "Apocalyptic_Cow"I'm going to submit a roleplaying props. Maybe if we can be as excited about the things we like, rather than dislike, burgeoning players can pick up some tips. What are the things that make us connect to a character on a deeper level? What is the elusive appeal of those exceptional characters that seem to pull everyone into their orbit? What is that dynamic that makes playing among certain combinations of players so immersive?

What I absolutely dig to see in someone's RP is the ability to play their character even when they are at their most pathetic. I love it when a player drops the ideal image they have of their character, and when the going gets rough, allows their character to be terrified, hurt, beaten, bested, sick, or embarrassed. Don't be worried about people seeing your character as "weak"; when I see this, I see the character as "complete", and I sympathize with them far more. Props to everyone who does this.

When I forget that fact... the game gets a whole lot harder.  Getting really into a character is all well and good, but when the shit hits the fan it really helps to remember that you're not your character, don't need to be embarrassed and hurt when they are, and that rping bad things is fun too.  It can be pretty amazingly hard to remember that.

On another note, I try to submit props now and then when it seems appropriate, but I don't really get how that works. Does it just pin to the character account, or does the player get a copy in their email?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

QuoteOn another note, I try to submit props now and then when it seems appropriate, but I don't really get how that works. Does it just pin to the character account, or does the player get a copy in their email?

Yes, the player of the character you submit a Kudo's for, gets a copy of it to read as well as the staff.

I'll throw in a props as well to those who play the mundane, non-exceptional characters of every day life.

Props to the noobs too, who do their best to jump into the game and slide into everyday life without messing up to bad. We were all there once.  :D

I'd add more, but most of it has been said.

Props to people who know the time and place to give another player a little hint, a subtle reminder.  A little quip about having used a word the wrong way without totally redirecting a scene.  A seemingly innocuous emote that is overtly IC, but carries subtext aimed at helping another player.  Kudos.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

God bless the newbies, but god REALLY bless the players who take the time to help the newbies.

That's not really roleplaying props, but holy crap. God bless you guys.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Thank you to those people that have PCs that don't have the slightest bit of good luck.

Murphy's Law loves you and I love you to.

Another one for those people that have created their own accents IG, correct or incorrect, understandable or not. Here's to you, Mr. Created your own accent on a Textual game man.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I love it when people hemote, sneaky rude things to subtle nervous tics to idle scratch the leg under the table.

I love players who correctly model the culture as outlined in the documentation. Things like:

-- A Tuluki who admires artful theft rather than freaking out about being stolen from.
-- A 'Nakki who insists on being fashion-correct and yet keeps that in line with his/her social standing so as not to offend.
-- 'Nakki nobles who know how to treat commoners like dirt and yet still interact with them.
-- Tuluki nobles who know how to treat commoners respectfully and yet still make sure they know they're commoners.
-- Anyone who bribes. ANYONE WHO BRIBES.
-- Victims of detention, interrogation, and torture who break, beg, plead, and scream, and generally fear death.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Aquarian"I love it when people hemote, sneaky rude things to subtle nervous tics to idle scratch the leg under the table.

You notice: The tall, muscular man masturbates under the bar.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I have total respect for people who emote, think, and talk even if there are no pcs around and play with the virtual environment, especially if you're willing to lose money, items, or show real emotion.

Of course... I don't know who you are. But I love you anyway.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Props for imperfections (physical, emotional, intellectual, or spiritual) and those willing to create conflict. It doesn't even have to be deadly conflict, not by a long shot: anything that stirs things up.
Amor Fati

Props for:

People who take risks with their characters.

Non-stereotyped "girly" men.

Non-stereotyped "manly" women.

Non-stereotyped homosexuals.

People who play their magickers for a while before getting gemmed.

Characters with a story behind every scar.

Characters that are good at making other characters feel uncomfortable for some reason or another.

Templars who torture, maim, or enslave instead of kill when they can.

Characters who break after being tortured or maimed instead of keeping silent until executed.

Characters who are afraid of things that are OOCly known to be relatively low-threat (gemmers, muls, half-giants).

EDIT: Oh, and people who submit roleplaying logs.  I love roleplaying logs so very much. This particular log sticks out in my mind as the single most interesting/exciting thing I read when I was deciding if I wanted to play this game.

Props for people who remind me of the environment.  I have been around for forever and a day, yet I still forget what the world if Zalanthas is like some times.  When someone points out something about the environment, regardless of the smell, sound, appearance, whatever, I appreciate it.  A good emoter can really drag you into the setting and remind you that the world of Zalanthas is more than just text spamming across the screen.

Props to everyone.

I've been seeing some good stuff lately.

Keep it up.

Props to those who spend actual 'sid on tattoos rather than just writing them into your long description.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: "DesertT"Props to those who spend actual 'sid on tattoos rather than just writing them into your long description.

It's something of an obsession.

On that note:

Props to people who could easily kill my character and take his expensive stuff, but instead decide to roleplay and give me a chance to roleplay getting away.

Props to people who bribe the authorities.

Props to southern Templars that make people shake on their barstools without coded power.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

-For the thief that is so sneaky to take some items off someone and then put it back on the person when they are about to get pulled off by the militia.

-For all the folks that just help a newbie out.  (Thank you)

-To those that don't ever give up, and if it comes down to it they will just beat someone over the head to make a few sid.  (*coughs and looks around*)

-Lastly, to the great Role Players that I have already RPed with so far while I'm very new to this MUD.  Mad props there.