Retire from the menu

Started by Salt Merchant, October 16, 2007, 03:28:30 PM

Quote from: "Aquarian"
I am 100% for having the option to retire a character in the menu. But I also say that Gimf is right. If you take the role, you should be prepared for the work. And you shouldn't be able to flush the toilet just because you made a turd that smells.

If you spec app a role, then making a request through Staff seems only right.  As far as adding the menu option, it does make sense, perhaps it could be written in such a way that it would email any clans you are currently flagged with with a simple:

MEMO: AMOS has been stored by account PWNKILLAZ due to "I just can't play this character any more due to rl time constraints/lack of interest, etc.  I hope you understand ~pwnkillaz".

Just an idea, but I would say that -anyone- who stores their character should be kind enough to still drop clan staff an email (or mud account if they were involved in a major way but not clanned) to let them know they are no longer playing that character.

That seems to be the biggest arguement against:  if Staff does it at least they are aware.  I'm on the fence on the issue, but more options are always better than fewer, and I like to think the playerbase can be trusted more often than not.

Lord Templar Hard Nose says to the pudgy, red-robed templar, in tatlum:
"So you see, I just don't feel like doing templar things anymore... I want to be a Tuluki bard."

Quote from: "Aquarian"I bash you all the time Gimf. I suck, you suck it's all good. You're entitled to hate me and not care about what I am about to say.

But for once I agree with everything you said right here.[/b]

I assholishly commend you for not pissing me off.

Shocking, I know. At least I'm honest.

/end semi-derail

I am 100% for having the option to retire a character in the menu. But I also say that Gimf is right. If you take the role, you should be prepared for the work. And you shouldn't be able to flush the toilet just because you made a turd that smells.

You know, up until you posted this, I thought maybe ARM1 wouldn't really end, ever. But now I know...THIS IS A SIGN OF THE COMING OF THE END!

*huddles in a ball and cries quietly*

More seriously, though, uh...thank you for the assholish compliment? :D
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I really think a vast majority of players would indeed email thier clan staff when intending to store. I know that if I had the menu option I would find it much easier to plan such things ahead.

Email, I am goint to store so and so because...blah blah, at this time, I will have him logged in 3 hours before that in case you wish to wrap things up...cheers.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"I know that if I had the menu option I would find it much easier to plan such things ahead.
I wrote a long response to that about why it didn't make any sense and how the only thing that an unrestricted menu option makes it easier to do is store without planning ahead and without being considerate to your fellow players.

I deleted it because instead of fueling the fire, I'm going to propose a compromise that would allow you to plan things out like you described but prevent people from storing on a whim.

You would still need to submit a storage request but the result would be that a menu option then opens up for that character which allows you to store it within a certain time frame. If you're willing to email your clan imm before you store, then you should be willing to wait for the request to go through. Then when you've finished everything you need to do with that character, you can immediately store it and app a new one.

Edited to add: Perhaps you should be allowed to submit an application for a new character at the same time you submit a storage request. That would further decrease the amount of waiting for everyone who is so impatient about the storing process.

I said Much easier, Not that I would every single time, there are times when its simply over. In those cases, I'm not waiting. Also, have you looked at the ave turn around times on the request tool? Hhhmmm?

Point on having the menu option is not JUST to be able to store at a moments notice...Hell, Suicide works as well for that. But to get it done in a timely manner and with the least amount of hassle, both for the player and for staff.

And by plan things ahead, I meant -without- Staff. As in.

Tell second in command, Alright Joe, I'm getting re-assigned to the most obscure post we have...Your in charge now, here is the key to the office...enjoy.

quit
*menu stuff*
S
Are you sure you wish to store your PC now? If so please type your password.
password
JoJO stored
*menu stuff*
start making a new PC.

As to storing on a whim...You try and prevent that and they simply go get ate by the nearest big nasty.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

i think yeah retirement is cool i've retired 6 pcs because i didn't like the character concept and i was afraid to tell the immortals that I  changed my mind and I'm sorry to bother you guys and I'm sorry sorry.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

*random* I wish more people would get eaten.  Them grebbers gotta live somehow!
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen