Roleplaying Peeves

Started by Is Friday, October 14, 2007, 04:53:01 PM

Quote from: "Fathi"People who RP with other people and automatically assume the worst about the other person's RP and OOC motivations.

Gahd yesh.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I rly think people who do things that are just completely unrealistic just because they can are the hardest to deal with for me. people who have power and think they can do what they want, just because they can disappear with the hide skill or sneak skill......I don't think you can just flat otu be gone from EVERYONE's sight....my peeve, or on eof them.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Players who are mean OOCly to newbies because said newbies haven't got the hang of the communication syntaxes and don't -always- use proper grammar or punctuation.

Players who strongly believe a favortism ideal exists and constantly complain how unfairly they are treated and that they deserve so much more on an OOC level no matter how good or not their RP is.

Players who never RP while crafting.

PCs who use any real-time terms like for example using the word 'god' or even using medical terminology I don't think Zalanthas is advanced enough to have: 'genes' and 'nervous system'.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

Quote from: "titansfan"I rly think people who do things that are just completely unrealistic just because they can are the hardest to deal with for me. people who have power and think they can do what they want, just because they can disappear with the hide skill or sneak skill......I don't think you can just flat otu be gone from EVERYONE's sight....my peeve, or on eof them.

Yeah. Bah! Nothing's more stupid than having a one-way conversation with an assassin who keeps whispering something to you and hiding immediately afterwards. Just because they can make their character untargetable doesn't mean that it's feasible. Same thing with people who hide or sneak out in the middle of a tavern brawl while someone's pummeling them.

Quote from: "some guy"
Quote from: "titansfan"I rly think people who do things that are just completely unrealistic just because they can are the hardest to deal with for me. people who have power and think they can do what they want, just because they can disappear with the hide skill or sneak skill......I don't think you can just flat otu be gone from EVERYONE's sight....my peeve, or on eof them.

Yeah. Bah! Nothing's more stupid than having a one-way conversation with an assassin who keeps whispering something to you and hiding immediately afterwards. Just because they can make their character untargetable doesn't mean that it's feasible. Same thing with people who hide or sneak out in the middle of a tavern brawl while someone's pummeling them.

Or walk out of the room without an emote while surrounded by three large people, all pummeling them.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

People who pummel me when I'm trying to sneak out of a room.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

People who play off peak, but go about their own business like I'm not around. When I'm the only other person around... :( RP With me please, it's so lonely during off peak.

First off, accidental mistakes don't peeve me.  Punctuation, misspelling, etc...if I can get the gist of what my character is 'hearing', I'm fine.  People make mistakes.  I try to quickly respond to anyone who RP's with me regardless of errors, making it clear, I hope, that I'm perfectly capable of disregarding petty "stuff" and focusing on the big picture.  In turn, I hope that makes them feel involved and comfortable.

Pet peeve:
People who ALWAYS have to "shine",people who ALWAYS have to be miserable, gritty, or otherwise paranoid (Unless you're actually trying to RP someone with a mental disorder.), and people who ALWAYS have to be the most impressive and amazing fighter that ever was. 

Characters that don't evolve.  Because, multiple dimensions built-up consistently and fostered into a rich personality...now -that- is a truly beautiful thing.

Players who -only- emote or interact on a consistent level when the RP is moreorless centered around their character or their character's "thing".  Even if you're just shifting your weight, glancing toward something or someone you're thinking about, or remaining at attention while you're being dressed down, I want to get a hint of what makes you tick or short of that...just be reminded you're not a drop-description.  I try to appreciate what everyone around me does or can put into the environment.  Get in the game! 
em energetically throws ~ball to ~wah
em sighs as ~ball rebounds from %wah motionless, stoic form   
em With a disappointed expression, @ watches helplessly as ~ball rolls slowly across the barren floor eventually...coming...to...a...halt.  :-\

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."~D. Adams

I have CDO.  It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order.       Like they should be.

A peeve of mine is actually something that I catch myself doing all the fucking time. And that is what I like to call "scene rushing".

I can type very fast, my mind is always racing and I get bored easily. On the plus side of all of that, I'm usually pretty actively RPing with my fellow players. However, I find myself making my character ramble on when I should be waiting to see how everyone else reacts. I guess this wouldn't be so bad if it was rare, but I do it a lot. Working on it, though.

I've had it done to me, too. It's almost like someone "power emoting". In this case, rather than forcing an action or reaction on you via an emote, the "scene rusher" steals from you every opportunity to have your own reactions.

Example:
I say, "Hey, dudes, that was pretty wild when that black robe ran Amos through with a solid steel pike!"
You begin typing your agreement/disagreement/whatever
I say (in the span of five seconds) I don't like the way that necker's looking at me!
I say (even faster) I think Malik owes me a few 'sids...
You begin to feel OOCly irritated

That's really extreme, but I think it illustrates my point.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I'm a fast typer and that happens constantly to me, too.  It's why my characters have such lively inner worlds.   :D

My peeves:

- Idlers
- People who won't take IC consequences for IC actions
- People who never use the think or feel commands
- Zalanthans who don't drink... even once in a while
- The way some characters completely ignore half-giants when the big guys are around
- Players who love their characters too much to accept a risk that makes total sense
- Leader PCs who disregard the living, breathing presence of their NPC guards
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Zoltan on November 29, 2007, 02:20:25 AM
A peeve of mine is actually something that I catch myself doing all the fucking time. And that is what I like to call "scene rushing"

Guilty as charged. I noticed it a while back and do my best to correct it.

Think and feel are my friends.

Guilty of the same.

I'm a very bad imm who either puts in three sentences and a question before the other person has had a chance to reply or I try to wait and end up distracted by something else (shiny!) and forget I'm animating an npc.

I'm also guilty of starting a scene when I have only a limited amount of time and therefore my npcs frequently start conversations like "I've got work to do and you've got five minutes to explain. So be succint and don't piss me off...". Sometimes they say it in a nicer way, if they happen to be nice and polite.

(Ever notice how few npcs are nice and polite?)
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Adhira on November 29, 2007, 05:43:12 AM
(Ever notice how few npcs are nice and polite?)

Yes.

:'(
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I'm always feeling rushed when I'm playing. But I hate it when the person I'm RPing with feels so UNrushed that it looks to me like he's:
1) typing slowly
2) trying to come up with exactly the right wording
3) adding a couple of thinks while coming up with the response to the PC who's actually standing there waiting for a response
4) typing those thinks slowly
5) trying to come up with exactly the right wording for those thinks
6) having a Way conversation with someone else at the same time
7) typing that way conversation slowly
8) trying to come up with exactly the right wording to his Way conversation.

All while I'm trying to find out...Do you know this dead guy lying on the floor in front of your barstool? Yes, or no?

So as a player I get frustrated because all I, as a player, need, is a grunt and a nod, or a grunt and a shake of his head, so I can move on with the scene and maybe go hunting or drag the corpse or call for a templar or whatever. Instead I just stand there, waiting for a response, because the guy is obviously not linkdead, just REALLY REALLY SLOW. And then it's dark, and the gate's closed and I'm stuck, when if he had just answered the question with a simple yes or no, I could have been halfway to my destination already.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 29, 2007, 08:32:37 AM
I'm always feeling rushed when I'm playing. But I hate it when the person I'm RPing with feels so UNrushed that it looks to me like he's:
Yesssss.  Though I'm occasionally guilty of this myself.

Some days, yer writerly inspiration ain't firing on all four cylinders.  On those days, it's absolutely perfectly fine to use "say" with no parentheses.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Adhira on November 29, 2007, 05:43:12 AM(Ever notice how few npcs are nice and polite?)

Sure, but not that many PCs are nice and polite either. NPCs and PCs in Tuluk are nicer and politer, though ;)

I get pretty annoyed when people scene rush me. But I'm quite a quick responder, so it doesn't happen that much. And if it does, I just tell them to STFU in some kind of way that's appropriate for my character. I get tempted to scene rush when I'm faced with someone who's a slow responder, but I just don't allow myself to do it.

People who are super-slow do peeve me. If it's IC for my character to yell at them about being slow, I'll do that, and sometimes that helps.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 28, 2007, 05:23:44 AM
People who play off peak, but go about their own business like I'm not around. When I'm the only other person around... :( RP With me please, it's so lonely during off peak.

Also, the above breaks my heart a little. Someone please RP with this guy?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 28, 2007, 05:23:44 AM

Also, the above breaks my heart a little. Someone please RP with this guy?
[/quote]

You know that little starving kid you see on TV with the concave chest, tiny hands, and flys buzzing in their eyes? Yeah that's me. :(

Quote from: Goldberry on November 29, 2007, 12:13:09 AM
Characters that don't evolve.  Because, multiple dimensions built-up consistently and fostered into a rich personality...now -that- is a truly beautiful thing.
BIG TIME!!!

Also, characters who don't seem to realize how lucky they are to find work in the houses/ templarate/ even the Byn.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I just noticed I do some of these stuff listed here

hahaha
some of my posts are serious stuff

a solution to scene rushing is the slow typers need to start using ellipses so us scene rushers know to wait.

Quote from: Agent_137 on November 29, 2007, 04:04:22 PM
a solution to scene rushing is the slow typers need to start using ellipses so us scene rushers know to wait.

How can they use ellipses if they haven't been allowed the time to say/emote anything at all yet?

Also, you're not really a scene rusher. You always seem fine to me.

Also, your sig is still broken, n00b ;)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I've been known to scene rush.
I agree, spamming think/feel are the solution
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 29, 2007, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: Agent_137 on November 29, 2007, 04:04:22 PM

How can they use ellipses if they haven't been allowed the time to say/emote anything at all yet?

Also, you're not really a scene rusher. You always seem fine to me.

Also, your sig is still broken, n00b ;)

Bullshit, Agent is rapidfire. I have to OOC him occasionally and tell him to slow the fuck down.

He's like that on the phone, too. GOOD LORD ROB, LET ME GET A WORD IN EDGEWISE.

Another peeve of mine?

When someone makes a very simple spelling error, like Taht, or mroe. Then they OOC "Oopsies, I meant more/that." And they do it a lot. It isn't a real serious peeve, but it irks me. I make a lot of mistakes, but two wrongs don't make a right.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

It'd been said a bunch of times, but:

CAPITALISE, PUNCTUATE, and SPELL WORDS CORRECTLY.

plz plz plz k thx